Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 22, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
glenandem
Apprentice Imagineer

Anyone else found your dollar doesn’t go as far anymore!

Was last here right before covid kicked in jan20 and currently here now and last few days Definately feeling like I’m not getting as much as before, walking round the outlets there doesn’t seem to be as many well priced items like ck with all the discount vouchers it’s not a massive amount cheaper than uk and RL I only mainly bought polo/t-shirts and I used to pay around $15-20 each and now they’re around $25-30, same with Tommy.
Supermarket food prices is possibly one of the biggest rises, what we normally bought in Walmart I reckon is now $20-$30 more.
Maybe it’s just the way of the world with inflation starting to soar plus the pound just isn’t what it used to be anymore but all these little things add up to make it not the bargain we used to find it compared to what we was used to before!
glenandem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Without any doubt I found prices in CVS and Ralphs had doubled since my last visit - I didn't buy anything to take home in Dec/Jan as prices back in UK were same or cheaper.

Also eating out in general (Uber and Lyft) more than twice for exactly the same I encountered in Jan 2020 as I cross checked my receipts. Same journey more than twice and same Martini in LuLu moved from $6 to $11 before tax and service

California made London seem cheap to me ...
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
glenandem
Apprentice Imagineer

It’s abit sad isn’t it as I know most brits love coming here filling up on the American name brands but when they’re not far off uk prices it’s not great!
My wife seen some boots in timberland yesterday and she previously bought the same here and back home, when she last bought them they was around $70 and todays prices $130, back in uk they’re £80 everywhere!
Ihop used to be a cheap morning breakfast, that cost us nearly $80 for 2a 3c.
We’ve brought a shed load of cash with us as it’s been 2 years to blitz and just find we’re not spending it lol
The biggest bargain we found was at Manchester airport buying sunglasses and aftershave😂😂
glenandem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I would say to anyone who hasn't been for a couple of years to double their budget for F&B - I spent twice as much on "essentials" so when someone asked how much should I take then any answer is a bit nebulous
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
glenandem
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I would say to anyone who hasn't been for a couple of years to double their budget for F&B - I spent twice as much on "essentials" so when someone asked how much should I take then any answer is a bit nebulous
Exactly this, totally agree👍👍
Old 18 Jan 22, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I.find the huge hike in food prices even comparing like for like at home I’m here on my own so eat in most of the time
I do use coupons I had a 30% coupon for RL that I used over the weekend and I’ve picked up stuff in Ross , Burlington etc
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Must say I felt exactly the same the last time we went and that was now some years ago. The "bargains" were more difficult to find. The cost of eating out was not that much cheaper than pub grub at home and in most cases while almost more of a portion was not always great quality.

I would be struggling now to know how much to take on a daily basis.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
popsiwinkle
Excited about Disney

Same here, we thought we'd budgeted quite generously for our trip in November but costs have risen more than we expected. We used to do our big food shopping in publix (never cheap but doable)but we'll be using cheaper places from now on and just publix for occasional or nice stuff. Thankfully there wasn't much Park merch we wanted so at least we saved money there!
popsiwinkle is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

We are just back today and have to agree about the prices. We did intend to stay within the Disney bubble and eat there most nights.
Best meals were Toledo on our last night, Yak & Yeti, The Boathouse, Ale and Compass and Macaroni Grill at the airport. Even Steakhouse 71 and Citrico's were disappointing for dinner.
Old 18 Jan 22, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
SarasotaScottie
Helping Minnie

Currently in Sarasota

It's very noticeable how much food prices have risen. I used to alternate between publix and fresh market but I think in future I'll buy as much as possible at Walmart to contain costs.
Even Costco seemed pricey.

Very few offers in places like Ulta - feels like they are definitely trying to recoup some of the 2020/2021 losses.

Two coffees at Starbucks now >$10

I would also say that the supply chain issues are more evident than at home. Lots of empty shelves in places like CVS.
SarasotaScottie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List