Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Jan 22, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
rambocat1974
Very Serious Dibber

Full Size or Mini Van

Hi all

We are a group of 4 adults and 2 kids (14 & 7) travelling from Miami to Orlando in August.

I've currently booked a full size 12 seater van as expecting each person to have a full size case, but looking online, we can save over £900 if we booked a minivan (Dodge Caravan or similar).

We've had these before for the same sized group, but only had to travel from Orlando Airport to the Davenport area, so not a problem to have bags under feet if necessary for 30mins or so.

We will have a spare seat and obviously the boot space, but has anyone booked a minivan recently that can give me an idea of the boot space.

I've looked online and there is a site that makes the claim below, if true, we would be able to get all the suitcases behind the seats, but is this accurate?

If the suitcases in your minivan are full size you can fit:

6 behind the third row seats

Obviously need people to be comfortable for the possibly 4 hour journey to Orlando, but £900 extra spending money is a lot.

Thoughts appreciated
Rob
rambocat1974 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

I don't really have the answer, I'm planning to go with 7 adults in a minivan, though currently not picking up until the day after arrival.

Have you considered just getting something bigger for the Miami to Orlando, drop the car off in Orlando, and then get something smaller for while you are out in Orlando?

Edited at 12:33 PM.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

6 full size cases in the boot. No chance!
Another option, If you have 2 drivers, you could book a small second car for the Miami to Orlando journey and drop that off. Then use the 7 seater for your holiday.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 22, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire
I want to go now!

Full Size or Mini Van

These 7 seater Mini Vans are very flexible.
You can drop either of the two centre row seats completely and leave a flat floor..
Even if left in place the space between them would accomodate a bag.
The rear seat will seat three but again it can be split 1/3 - 2/3. and drop out of sight.

The space behind the rear seat isnt huge but will hold at least two bags.
By dropping one rear seat I would say this would suit 6 passengers and their bags. (Kids on rear seat I would say).

Google ''Dodge Caravan internal layout'' and this will give you some pictures and some info on dimensions.

Chrysler Town & Country was exact same just branding, they have recently replaced with Chrysler Pacifica
Google that and Chrysler have a website with many photos.

If you use Alamo Skip the Counter they have a line of vehicles to choose from - and if worst comes to worst you can always swap on the day for a larger van but really I dont think you would need to do that.
If booking with Andy you might also seek his advice.
Yorkshire is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 22, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
rambocat1974
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for the info, I've changed the booking to a minivan as we have 3 full size, 2 smaller and one cabin bag between us, so very confident that we will get all the luggage in comfortably.

I also found this video on Youtube which confirmed what I thought.

Rob
rambocat1974 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Shkyler
Apprentice Imagineer

This is brilliant thanks for sharing
Shkyler is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 22, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
carol613
Earning More Ears

Hi who have you been looking at for the car hire. the prices are silly at the moment
carol613 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
rambocat1974
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by carol613 View Post
Hi who have you been looking at for the car hire. the prices are silly at the moment
Best price I've come up with for a Minivan to date is Europcar for £1395, 17 nights all inclusive including 3 drivers. That included a 10% discount I get for working in the travel industry and I also get 7% cashback which I get after we return. That's at the start of August.

I can cancel upto 48 hours before, so will keep an eye on prices to try and reduce it.

Rob

Edited at 12:51 AM.
Old 26 Jan 22, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
arty688
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by rambocat1974 View Post
Best price I've come up with for a Minivan to date is Europcar for £1395, 17 nights all inclusive including 3 drivers. That included a 10% discount I get for working in the travel industry and I also get 7% cashback which I get after we return. That's at the start of August.

I can cancel upto 48 hours before, so will keep an eye on prices to try and reduce it.

Rob
Europcar uses Fox and you may want to check the exact level of cover you have it seems a bit unclear and could be State minimum which is not very good.
arty688 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 22, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Gwilspeed
slightly serious Dibber

we did a mini van for 4 adults and 3 kids (5,8,& 10) a few years back and this included a drive from Miami to Orlando and back again.

We didn't have any issues with space and we all had large cases and the wheeled carry on. just need to get a little creative on how you pack (ie use the voids under the floor where the seats fold into etc).

Disneyland 05, 15 / NYC,11,16 / Vegas 07,15
Gwilspeed is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List