Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jan 22, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
This hurts my heart

Anxiety has been voted ‘children’s word of the year’ for 2021. I shouldn’t be surprised by this but I do find it upsetting. I am sure there are many parents who have kids that are currently suffering with the effects of this ongoing pandemic.

There are resources out there should anyone be struggling, so please don’t feel alone. Get in touch with your Family, Friends, School or Professionals in your area (or fellow Dibbers!) if you or your kids are finding things difficult.

mind.uk/

anxietyuk.uk/

mentalhealth.uk/your-mental-health

samaritans/

Edited at 10:45 PM.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 01:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s heartbreaking. My dd’s anxiety has manifested as Misophonia (a hatred of sounds - usually eating sounds) and although the anxiety seems to have lifted, this has remained. It is currently manageable with many coping mechanisms but if anxiety is up it is unbearable for her. I truly believe this has been brought on by the lockdowns and it breaks my heart!
Floridadreams is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 01:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Really sad and sobering reading, but not a surprise given everything that the world has been through lately.

I've suffered with anxiety for a long time, definitely exacerbated by lockdown/Covid. The two things I've found really help.

Putting my hand on my tummy/chest and focusing on the warmth, and only the warmth. That's a good one for panic attacks.

For general anxiety I find square breathing helpful... You breathe in to a count of 4, hold to a count of 4, then breathe out to a count of 8. It really makes you focus on your breathing, and by counting you're interrupting the brains anxious thinking process. Good for helping me sleep/calm before bed.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
It’s heartbreaking. My dd’s anxiety has manifested as Misophonia (a hatred of sounds - usually eating sounds) and although the anxiety seems to have lifted, this has remained. It is currently manageable with many coping mechanisms but if anxiety is up it is unbearable for her. I truly believe this has been brought on by the lockdowns and it breaks my heart!
I am so sorry to hear this. 💝 it sounds as though you are doing a great job to support her and I hope that it becomes more manageable for you both. Take care 💖
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by iLaura View Post
Really sad and sobering reading, but not a surprise given everything that the world has been through lately.

I've suffered with anxiety for a long time, definitely exacerbated by lockdown/Covid. The two things I've found really help.

Putting my hand on my tummy/chest and focusing on the warmth, and only the warmth. That's a good one for panic attacks.

For general anxiety I find square breathing helpful... You breathe in to a count of 4, hold to a count of 4, then breathe out to a count of 8. It really makes you focus on your breathing, and by counting you're interrupting the brains anxious thinking process. Good for helping me sleep/calm before bed.
I am so sorry to hear about your anxiety.💜 Thank you so much for sharing your breathing tips, this is something simple and practical that literally anyone can do. Take care. Xxx
Old 20 Jan 22, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Thank you for this Michelle. As we have discussed before, children have had such a tough ride during this pandemic and that’s putting it mildly!
I don’t know one child that hasn’t been negatively affected in some way and I fear for the tidal wave of mental health issues that is yet to come

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

I work with CAMHS as part of my portfolio so know all my local services which will vary across the country so CYP/Parents/carers would need to check their local CAMHS, CCG’s and Local Authorities to see what they commission, but they will have webpages with local access to various Apps and self-help support.

Also check to see if your CYP school have signed up to the Mental Health Support Teams (MHST’s) in schools’ project.

In addition to those already given, Kooth is a national service but also many local areas commission this for more specific work targeted in their own areas. kooth/

papyrus-uk/

youngminds.uk/

selfharm/

youthaccess.uk/

A few Apps we recommend

SAM: Self-help for Anxiety Management

Well Mind

Headspace

ThinkNinja

Edited at 10:06 AM.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thank you for this Michelle. As we have discussed before, children have had such a tough ride during this pandemic and that’s putting it mildly!
I don’t know one child that hasn’t been negatively affected in some way and I fear for the tidal wave of mental health issues that is yet to come
Thank you Alicia, I know this is something you are super aware of. 💝 I agree about the future for all kids and I hope that if anyone is having a hard time that they reach out. There is a lot of support but sometimes it can be hard to source when you feel so overwhelmed.
Old 20 Jan 22, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
I work with CAMHS as part of my portfolio so know all my local services which will vary across the country so CYP/Parents/carers would need to check their local CAMHS, CCG’s and Local Authorities to see what they commission, but they will have webpages with local access to various Apps and self-help support.

Also check to see if your CYP school have signed up to the Mental Health Support Teams (MHST’s) in schools’ project.

In addition to those already given, Kooth is a national service but also many local areas commission this for more specific work targeted in their own areas. kooth/

papyrus-uk/

youngminds.uk/

selfharm/

youthaccess.uk/

A few Apps we recommend

SAM: Self-help for Anxiety Management

Well Mind

Headspace
Thank you so much for sharing this! That is great information and excellent links, it’s great for everyone to know that there are accessible Resources should you need them. 💖
Old 20 Jan 22, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Thanks for posting this I haven’t had a chance to look at the links.
Coincidentally DS had a CAMHs appointment yesterday and is about to start medication for his anxiety as he won’t engage with softer therapies .
As a parent it’s pitiful to see and I can’t imagine how awful it is for the young people suffering.
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List