Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jan 22, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Thanks again for your further replies.

It’s A Level PE he’s doing.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My DD is picking her a levels now too. She's picked geography, RE Philosophy & Ethics, psychology and film. With English Lit as a back up. She has to do 4 subjects, one will be an AS level as they drop it in year 13. It's such a stress for them isn't it? The whole careers, picking a uni stuff is really stressing her out!

She wants to be a geography or RE teacher (at the moment, she wanted to do a Zoology degree up until 3 months ago!) but like you, we've not done the picking a uni thing before, so it's unknown! So much to think about. Good luck! (i've got the other one in year 9 picking his options, driving me nuts!)

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

I think they have to do biology - my dd was going to choose it. The uni grades are around aab.

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I have a few friends that are physios, one of them is a university lecturer now. At his uni the requirements are that they need a science.
"128 points from a minimum of three A-levels. including at least one Science, (preferably Biology/Human Biology) . Other acceptable subjects include: Chemistry Physics or PE".
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

There a fair few Unis that will accept A Level PE instead of Biology which is good news. I’m trying to find one close to home, whereas he’s going through the Premier League seeing which football clubs he could be near 🤦🏻 I think we both need to sort out our priorities

I guess his best bet for his third option is to choose whichever subject he thinks he’ll do best in, which at the moment he doesn’t know as his predicted grades are the same for both! He can always change his mind once he’s sat his GCSEs or for his results. He’ll probably have a better idea then.

I’m just glad he has a focus and knows he’s going to have to work really hard to get where he wants to be, even if it doesn’t work out.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi Jo, DD is doing A level biology and she said it is a tough one. There are loads of really good websites including the complete university guide which hopefully will help your son decide which a levels he needs for that course
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

It's great that your DS has a plan and knows what he wants to do because I think it's really hard to know what to do at this age. My DS has chosen PE, Maths and Spanish as he has seen a degree that combined both Maths and Sports Science. He enjoys Spanish and is predicted good grades and I think a language is always good to have. Good luck to him.
Edited to add: The UCAS website is fab for showing what exactly is needed for each Uni.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Can I ask, how do you find out what grades they need in what subjects to do a specific degree? Say my daughter wants to do a geography degree, does she need to do A level maths & English to qualify or get enough UCAS points? Or does it go on their GCSE grades (for maths & english?) I am totally clueless and realise recently that I need to have an idea on all this as she will be going into year 12 in September!

Sorry for hijacking your post Jo!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
Can I ask, how do you find out what grades they need in what subjects to do a specific degree? Say my daughter wants to do a geography degree, does she need to do A level maths & English to qualify or get enough UCAS points? Or does it go on their GCSE grades (for maths & english?) I am totally clueless and realise recently that I need to have an idea on all this as she will be going into year 12 in September!

This guide is good - you can search for subject and then drill down to each uni to see what the might expect

theguardian/educatio...d-your-subject
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 22, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post

It depends on the Uni as to what grades they need, it will be the results of their A Levels (e.g ABB, AAA etc).

If you have a look on the UCAS website ucas/undergraduate you can search for a specific course and it will show all the unis that offer it. You can then click on each one to read a bit more about the course and the entry requirements.