Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Dec 21, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
I'll say that availability can be challenging.

We've gone from 1 to 2 and now 3 different sitters to give us the best chance of having someone trusted to look after Henry but there are still times where all three are booked up and we can't do what we'd like to do.

Maybe we're just unlucky, and there is a shortage of good sitters in my area. I have considered testing this by setting myself up as doggy daycare/sitting service as I work from home all day every day and spend a fair bit of time out walking/running with Henry. Having another dog or two with me would make literally no difference at all, and I'd be earning whilst doing it!

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My 2 are off to the sitters for 5 weeks today😬 anyone fancy picking up the bill as it’s Christmas 😂😂😂

There happy there, live in her house and sadly she lost her 14 year old lab last week so will be good company.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Mine went to the kennel I had previously used for years with my previous dog and cat - an older couple who I 100% trusted. Even though she is very much a velcro dog she seemed really happy there, we did an overnight test, then a weekend and each time she ran happily into her area.
We then moved and viewed 4 kennels, liked each of them but the 4th we knew was right for us. Again we did a test night, then a weekend and each time we go her tails almost comes off its wagging so much and she walked away with them happily (which she doesn't do any other time).
Its a large kennel on a livery yard, so almost always has spaces, costs £15 a night
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

We just got a puppy, and straight away realised going to Florida next year for three weeks was not going to happen couldnt bear the thought of leaving him! Mum is being trained up to dog sit him at hers with her miniature poodle occasionally, and we are meeting a lovely home dog boarder (her home) this week, so we can book him to stay at hers for longer breaks. She is called the fairy dogmother and looks like he will love it with her and might not come home!

We have changed our holiday plans and doing a shorter med cruise instead. Its a huge commitment, we haven’t been able to go out in the evening much yet as that is his playful time.
Worth it though, he is a lovely boy.

Keep us updated OP! With photos please 😊

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

We were lucky enough to rely on family but that's not so easy now and we have been wrestling with what to do when we all go in August. None of the usual options are getting a unanimous vote. It's actually harder with the 4 legged ones than the ones with 2 legs.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

My parents look after our 10 year old King Charles when we go on holiday and we look after their Cairn Terrier when they are away. When we go to Florida with my parents we use a local sitter who has the dogs in her home. She has up to 10 small dogs at a time (though a lot of them are day dogs, only 3 or 4 stay overnight) and they all love it. She lives across the road from the beach and posts daily pictures of them having a great holiday too! We feel so fortunate to have found her.
Old 3 Dec 21, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

We have always used a home boarder the same one since she was 7months (apart from once and that’s another story)

We usually book with her first and then our holiday but this time we booked the holiday for next May as it’s our 40th wedding anniversary and then found out she is giving up.

We have really struggled to get some that can do 17days even at 9 months out. We eventually found one and she then said she can’t do two days in the middle so hopefully our eldest can have her for a couple
Can take her if not I have said I am not going. She is just too important to us☺️

Edited at 10:52 PM.
Sara_toga is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
This thread has just prompted me to buy my friend and dog sitter a big bunch of flowers and some mini cheddars 😂
She charges a tenner a night, and other than Christmas she’ll fit him in whenever! I knew I was lucky but I now realise I’m very lucky

Edited at 03:53 PM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
anita1963
Imagineer

I own a pet care business.. I either stay I dogs home or for my regular clients they come to me whichever suits the dog really. .but I'm booked up one year to the next ..already booked for next year.. ! ..
anita1963 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
We have always used kennels and I visited at least 10 before I selected one that I was happy with, luckily they are still there and really, really, excellent.
Asha knows the staff (which they retain so that says a lot to me) and although she initially hesitates about leaving the car, she trots happily off with one of the staff without a look back. .
The trick for me has always been to introduce them early, all my dogs have gone in from around 9 months old, older dogs struggle with the transition in my experience.

Prices can vary - ours charge £17 per day, that includes food (but we take our own as she is on a not freely available one), when I had 2 dogs, they have what they call family pens so they went in together and that was £22 per day. It’s a lot for our, often 3 week, holidays but I trust them and she always comes out healthy and happy, so I would not change them for somewhere cheaper

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List