Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Aug 17, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
bearandbuzz
Apprentice Imagineer

bearandbuzz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Booking a BA fly drive for 8 people

I'm waiting (im)patiently for the flydrive prices with BA for next August and also keeping my fingers crossed I can get a good deal like some of you did last year. When I go to try some dummy runs it only lets me add up to 7 people, but we are travelling as a group of 8 (4 adults, 4 children).
I've had a look around and it says to phone them directly if travelling as a group of 9 or more, but no mention of 8 .
Has anyone successfully booked a flydrive online for 8 at all? I've a feeling I won't be able to jump N any bargains if I have to phone them, which will be a pain!

Our magic moment as Grand Marshall's in 2013
WL August 2014 The solo(ish) trip - August 2014
BC August 2016 If it ain't broke, don't fix it - August 2016
Villa 2018 - A change of scene - August 2018
bearandbuzz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 17, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
davejt999
Earning More Ears

I've booked a fly drive with BA for October and had the same problem, as we are a group of 9. When I phoned BA to book they told me that fly drives can only be booked for a maximum of 7 people. So I had to make two separate bookings of 6 and 3.
•Villa Kissimmee - October 1992, •Hong Kong - November 2006, •Animal Kingdom Lodge, Orlando - May 2014, •Sequoia Lodge, Paris - June 2015, •Villa Mickey Ritz, Orlando - October 2017, •Sequoia Lodge, Paris - October 2018
davejt999 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
bearandbuzz
Apprentice Imagineer

bearandbuzz's Reviews
Originally Posted by davejt999 View Post
I've booked a fly drive with BA for October and had the same problem, as we are a group of 9. When I phoned BA to book they told me that fly drives can only be booked for a maximum of 7 people. So I had to make two separate bookings of 6 and 3.
Thank you for your reply.
That's a pain, but hopefully the savings will be worth it!
We only want one car, do you know if I was to book a 12/15 seater with one and a smaller car with the other, would I be able to leave the smaller car at the airport and just take the larger car, without any extra charges?

bearandbuzz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
davejt999
Earning More Ears

I'm not sure to be honest, as I booked a 7 seater and then a small car and plan to use them both.
•Villa Kissimmee - October 1992, •Hong Kong - November 2006, •Animal Kingdom Lodge, Orlando - May 2014, •Sequoia Lodge, Paris - June 2015, •Villa Mickey Ritz, Orlando - October 2017, •Sequoia Lodge, Paris - October 2018
davejt999 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Beanie1
Proud to wear my Ears

I have been doing the same thing! Would worry if making two bookings the prices would go up in between. How silly they don't do bookings for eight.
I am sure I have read on the trusty Dibb that you are not penalised if you don't collect car.
Beanie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 17, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by bearandbuzz View Post
Thank you for your reply.
That's a pain, but hopefully the savings will be worth it!
We only want one car, do you know if I was to book a 12/15 seater with one and a smaller car with the other, would I be able to leave the smaller car at the airport and just take the larger car, without any extra charges?
The smaller one would be inclusive of insurance etc so if you have a 2nd driver it would give some flexibility. Also consider booking car for part of stay (1 night). You will not have an issue if you do not pick-uo the car.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 17, 07:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I may be overthinking this but BA prices provide a fully insured car as opposed to Virgin who don't.
Now with Virgin you just dont bother paying the extra to insure the car and just ditch it. But with BA you pay an initial deposit and ultimately the residue at the appropriate time. If you then don't collect the second car that's a lot of money chucked away.

I would ring them for a party of 8. That way you can be sure you get the appropriate vehicle, probably a Sienna.

Edit. Just done a search for random 2018 dates with BA for car hire only.
They only do car sizes online for up to 7 people or 12 for a minivan. Nothing in between, so it appears it's a 'ring up job'

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 07:10 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 17, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Demonwar
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

BA fly drives open at the same times as their flight prices. You could book the 12 seater for the maximum number they allow. Then book just flights for the remainder, will be slightly more per person as you get a discount for booking flydrive, suspect you won't get value for booking another flydrive for the remainder of you are only using 1 car. Next concern for me would be fitting your bags plus ppl in one car/van.
Demonwar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 17, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
bearandbuzz
Apprentice Imagineer

bearandbuzz's Reviews
Mobile

Thanks all.
I've sent an email to them as unable to phone at the moment so I'll see what they say. We've looked into the van configurations and a 12 or 15 seater is fine for us all, plus our luggage. I'll see what BA say but I'm guessing I'll have to price out the difference between spectate flights or a separate fly drive. I'll also want the two bookings linked as I know my parents would be unhappy to be split away from us if there was a problem with the flight at all.
I just get a little worried that any decent deals will go in eternal me booking the first deal and the second. (Assuming there are any deals that is!)

Old 17 Dec 18, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Fantasiax
Helping Donald

Booking flydrive for party of 8

Hi all

I have just read through this thread and I am in the same position trying to book a fly drive for 8. I don't really want to do separate bookings if possible. I'd love to know how these issues were resolved or if anyone has any advice.

Thanks in advance
Fantasiax is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List