Notices

Old 13 Mar 20, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ashc13 View Post
It's escalated a lot over a few days
Only mentioned mini marathon as I was initially surprised they were postponing an event scheduled for the end of May now. Looks like a tough few weeks ahead
My husband, who is a runner, said it is probably because the running clubs are shutting down so no-one is training. Where are you ashc? We’re in the Midlands

Edited at 10:37 PM.
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 20, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

It is such a scary time. Even if we knew how long it would be like this for then it might feel more manageable. We heard rumours about Monday too. Feels so surreal. Keep safe everyone.
Old 14 Mar 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Saturday 14th March
So we were planning on going to Dublin today - we live in rural Ireland right in the middle between Dublin and Galway. But since I posted yesterday things have developed again! The official line from the Government is that kids can go out to play in small groups but they are really pushing the social distancing thing. The health workers are sending out a different message - they are appealing to us to not let children play together. They are really concerned that there are many children with it that are passing it around. We as a family have decided we are going to listen to the healthcare workers on this one and decided Dublin was off! So I had to wake my daughter up again this morning and give her disappointing news! This morning she seemed to take it a lot better, no tears, just acceptance really. A little later she asked what day it was our neighbours (and her best friend) were popping round for drinks (it was supposed to be Monday). I just looked at her and she looked at me and said “if there’s anything else cancelled you may as well tell me now, get it all over with!” It’s weird how quickly they adapt!
I’ve been amazed at how many people are posting stuff online to keep kids happy. My daughter spent an hour today doing a daily art challenge that is being set by an illustrator who works for Star Wars and Marvel, based in Cork!
My husband is being quite annoying about the whole thing. Not fobbing it off, but saying there’s no difference to him, it’s just a normal day. Which I suppose it has been but he hasn’t had to deal with telling the children things are being cancelled! I’ve told him it’s his job to tell our daughter if her confirmation is cancelled.
My son is just struggling with the washing hands thing! He has a newish cold (trying not to worry about it as he has no temperature!) so has been blowing his nose. I copped him today not washing his hands afterwards, told him to which then turned into a debate - “if I have it you’re going to get it anyway”! Argh! I’ve tried to point out to him that it doesn’t have to be that way and we have to keep each other safe - he finally washed his hands!
I’ve turned into a clean freak too! Like it’s a bank holiday weekend and I randomly found myself cleaning bathrooms and wiping down door handles (don’t think I’ve ever done that before in my life! ) I then walked into the kitchen and thought - argh kitchen handles! This is not like me!
I’m becoming more convinced that we’ll be on lockdown on Monday - I feel like all of this messaging is just getting us ready for it! We’ll all be practically isolating by then from our own choice! Either that or they’re getting ready to lockdown the pubs on Tuesday (St Patrick’s Day). If they don’t do that all of this would have been a waste of time! The pubs are out of the door on St Patrick’s - they can’t let people congregate like that!
I’ve tried to take a break from the news today. I obviously know the headline that UK & Ireland have now been included in Trump’s travel ban (sorry to anyone this has affected) as my son told me. But I’ve avoided the news, not had the radio on and just taken a break. It’s hard to keep from being dragged under sometimes but I think that’s helped me today.
I hope everyone else is keeping safe - I’ll update tomorrow x

Edited at 11:03 PM.
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 20, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks for sharing this, I think Northern Ireland will follow suit very soon.
My sons school has set up virtual classrooms and sent out a 19 page contingency plan! They are talking about 16 week school closure up here. Strange times indeed 😥
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 20, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We’re in the north & our politicians are arguing! Ones with Boris & ones with Leo. I too have a daughter making g her confirmation in May but don’t know if that’ll be happening. The word here from foster is...If schools shut they’ll be shut for 16 weeks😱

✨Disneyland Paris - 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17 x3, 18, 19x2, 22x2.
✨Disneyworld Florida - 08, 14, 15, 17.
✨Disneyland Tokyo - 2016.
✨Disneyland California - 2018.
✨Disney Magic - 2021.
⭐️NYC - 2016, 2017, 2019.
⭐️Las Vegas, LA,Grand Canyon -18 19.
⭐️San Francisco - 2019.
⭐️Washington DC, Seattle -2022
LOU LOU DISNEY is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

16 weeks! F*ck! That’s a long time! We really think my son’s academic year might be over. He’s in Transition Year (kind of like a work experience, project work year for those not familiar) which was supposed to finish 21st May. We feel this break is going to be extended to the Easter holidays at least. If schools were to reopen after that there’s no way they’ll want his year in the way when the teaching staff are trying to get everyone else ready for exams.
It’s madness that there’s such a difference in action across Europe - even on the island of Ireland! I hope Boris comes to his senses soon.
Old 14 Mar 20, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LOU LOU DISNEY View Post
We’re in the north & our politicians are arguing! Ones with Boris & ones with Leo. I too have a daughter making g her confirmation in May but don’t know if that’ll be happening. The word here from foster is...If schools shut they’ll be shut for 16 weeks😱
Sadly our politicians will argue on principle.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 20, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

My SIL in Ireland owns and runs a crèche. It was touch and go in January because of the hike in a insurance payments. She kept open through that but now she’s close down and has to pay the 4 girls that work for her. She doesn’t think she’ll be able to stay in business. I’m gutted for her. Her husband is a self employed driving instructor but they’ve cancelled all driving tests too so he’s had mass cancellation and and empty books. The next lesson on his book is for April 12th and who knows if that will be cancelled too. My aunt and uncle are in a village in Tipperary and couldn’t get any toilet roll or hand wash in the shop today. They both have health issues and they don’t have a car or a computer. Thankfully, we were able to get In touch with a local who does a bit of taxi driving and we sent him the money to get some supplies to them and he was able to find boxes of tissues and soap in a Tesco a nearby larger town. It’s very hard when you have to stay away as we’d love to go over and help them or have them come to us for a while.

Edited at 11:46 PM.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 20, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I seriously doubt the schools will reopen before Sept.
as a frontline healthcare worker I have an overwhelming feeling of impending doom and think it is going to be like an apocalypse
Old 15 Mar 20, 01:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
My SIL in Ireland owns and runs a crèche. It was touch and go in January because of the hike in a insurance payments. She kept open through that but now she’s close down and has to pay the 4 girls that work for her. She doesn’t think she’ll be able to stay in business. I’m gutted for her. Her husband is a self employed driving instructor but they’ve cancelled all driving tests too so he’s had mass cancellation and and empty books. The next lesson on his book is for April 12th and who knows if that will be cancelled too. My aunt and uncle are in a village in Tipperary and couldn’t get any toilet roll or hand wash in the shop today. They both have health issues and they don’t have a car or a computer. Thankfully, we were able to get In touch with a local who does a bit of taxi driving and we sent him the money to get some supplies to them and he was able to find boxes of tissues and soap in a Tesco a nearby larger town. It’s very hard when you have to stay away as we’d love to go over and help them or have them come to us for a while.
Oh god! That’s so hard for your Aunt and Uncle and you being far away! Well done for getting them sorted. I have the same issue with my Mum in England. I’m trying to get her sorted with online shopping and trying to convince her to self-isolate. At the moment she’s having none of it!