Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 19 Oct 21, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Disney Genie Now Up And Running

You can update My Disney Experience on Apple at least (on iPad click on it in the store to see option to update).

Disney Genie then comes up in MDE.

Answer questions for each park regarding what you like, which restaurants etc.

Then select some general things about what you like.

Initial impression is this seems quite simplistic stuff, shoehorning people into very broad buckets. I think the real reason behind it, rather than some amazing planning tool, is to sell you Genie + and individual ride passes. I could be wrong, will have to see how it works in practise, but initial impression- Don’t believe the hype.

Also the Tip Board is showing ‘Something went wrong’.

Edited at 08:42 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Been saying all along that it's just an upsell tool. I think it'll be more interesting actually in the parks if the realtime updates function correctly. But considering they had to switch off wifi on the 1st due to system overload, I'm not holding my breath.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
You can update My Disney Experience on Apple at least (on iPad click on it in the store to see option to update).

Disney Genie then comes up in MDE.

Answer questions for each park regarding what you like, which restaurants etc.

Then select some general things about what you like.

Initial impression is this seems quite simplistic stuff, shoehorning people into very broad buckets. I think the real reason behind it, rather than some amazing planning tool, is to sell you Genie + and individual ride passes. I could be wrong, will have to see how it works in practise, but initial impression- Don’t believe the hype.

Also the Tip Board is showing ‘Something went wrong’.
Maybe tip board won't work until the day? There is a problem with my last 2 days of my trip where I have park & dining reservations showing on one day but it says tix not valid to pick what you like and my last day isn't even highlighted on the calendar so I can't pick a park day. They are 14 day tix and haven't exceed 14 days.
aprilshack is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinKing
Trying for More Ears

I’m really interested to see what the more “impartial” Disney YouTube vlogers make of it…
Old 19 Oct 21, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PumpkinKing View Post
I’m really interested to see what the more “impartial” Disney YouTube vlogers make of it…
Lots of vlogs to watch this week that's for sure!
aprilshack is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

Genie + is just Disney Magic but the worst kind.
Make you believe that this app is going to make your day magical but in reality all it is there for is to sell you upgrades and send you to unpopular places.
Three hour line for ROTR just $15 will magic that away.
Spend just $15 to upgrade to Genie + and you will save 2hrs.
Looking for a restaurant try Tony's Town Square.

I think I would ignore most of the advice and stick to our usual plans.
Maybe use it to buy a lightning lane for ROTR to guarantee access.
AliceCooper9 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AliceCooper9 View Post
Genie + is just Disney Magic but the worst kind.
Make you believe that this app is going to make your day magical but in reality all it is there for is to sell you upgrades and send you to unpopular places.
Three hour line for ROTR just $15 will magic that away.
Spend just $15 to upgrade to Genie + and you will save 2hrs.
Looking for a restaurant try Tony's Town Square.

I think I would ignore most of the advice and stick to our usual plans.
Maybe use it to buy a lightning lane for ROTR to guarantee access.
It will be interesting to see if the standby wait times in the app will reflect what's going on in the park. I'm interested in buying a rise pass though.
Old 19 Oct 21, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
sixpence18
Serious Dibber

Which vloggers would you recommend to get a more impartial view of Disney genie? I’m super interested to see how it works and get honest opinions on it rather than ones sponsored / working with Disney
sixpence18 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
khonsu
Suitcases dusted off...

Impartial is tricky Sixpence - the best ones all get invitations to Disney launches and press releases... as you'd expect.

For a fun one - You can't beat Paging Mr Morrow. Nate is so down to earth and has little mishaps along the way and doesn't edit them out. He's also not over the top linked in to Disney or Universal (like Rix Flix is).

Allears.net are very good for information. For example, watch Molly's Genie+ overview - you really do get a clear guide on Genie+... with the right amount of sarcasm and cynicism. Molly is the best thing about that channel.

DFBGuide (Disney Food Blog - "AJ") are great too. Not just about food but the parks in general. Again, AJ has the right amount of sarcasm to make the videos fun.

PCDev is a cool guy and has top notch videos too.

2002 Enchantedland Resort, 2005 Cabana Bay, 2011 Peabody, 2014 Rosen Point Orlando, 2017 Rosen Plaza, 2019 Rosen Shingle Creek. 2020 cancelled x2, 2021 cancelled x1... May 2022 - three weeks in Rosen Shingle Creek. May 2023 Drury Plaza Disney Springs. May 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort, December 2024 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort

khonsu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 21, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I would have recommended PCDev but his last video sounded like a sales pitch for Genie scripted by Disney rather than a genuine review so it's put me off.

I'd agree with Molly at All Ears. Also Adrian at Theme Park Express seems to be impartial. For a British perspective, I know Victoria (Disney in Detail) is planning a trip that first week and will be doing a Genie guide.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List