Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 27 Jan 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
limmy
Imagineer

limmy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Newbie - when to book... and other ?

I've read all the wonderful help pages. We had never entertained the idea of a cruise as myself and DS struggle with all types of motion sickness. I really do think on the bigger two, middle ship and suitably medicated that I am willing to give this a go.

We've watched lots of videos and read advice pages.
A lot of places say you can book things once fully paid. So is your booking not validated until paid in full?

How far in advance do you book to get the best deal? When do I need to start booking things and what is bookable? Characters I know and obviously docked activities, but what about the evening shows, films, quiz night etc?

Does every boat have the Aqua Duck? (The water coaster - I may have the name wrong) We defo want to try this. We know we'd like to visit Castaway Cay, not too sure Nassau appeals to us that much. Is there a good route for first timers?

I think 3-4 nights would suit us best as we would like a week in Universal before hand.

Is there a best time to go? Obviously with onsite Orlando times matter as parks will be more/less crowded etc but I guess the boats always sail full, so this probably isn't an issue?

Thanks in advanced. It's hard knowing and advising people what to do in Florida but then becoming a total novice again at something.
DCL 2019
limmy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 18, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
KymmieAKiss
Apprentice Imagineer

KymmieAKiss's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Hi There
No it's validated once the deposit is paid as far as i'm aware!

Evening shows and such are not booked, you just turn up. I would recommend getting to the theater early for a good seat!
There are certain restaurants that you need to book, however it is not included in the price!

The Aqua duck is not on every ship! Its on the dream, i'm not sure what others. I would recommend Nassau for a first trip. You dont have to leave the boat if you dont want to.
Also with castaway, get off the ship early to get a good spot at the beach

Both times ive done the cruise was at xmas at it was so much fun! My parents have done the halloween cruise and they loved it

Hope this somewhat helps!
KymmieAKiss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 18, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Hi and welcome to the cruise forum

It's strange being a newbie isn't it, but we were all there at some point!
So, if you are wanting to do a 3 or 4 night, then the most popular one would be the Dream as this alternates 3 and 4 nights generally. The 3 nights start on a Friday, with the 4 nights starting on a Monday. I would strongly recommend you do a 4 night, not a 3 as the time goes way too quickly on a 3. You don't have a chance to experience the ship really.

Nassau is one of those ports that repeat cruisers may not get off at. As a first timer, that's up to you but there's not a ton of stuff there. You can bimble around the town square for an hour then come back maybe?

For booking, once you've paid your deposit (20% of cruise cost), your price is fixed. Book direct or with a US travel agent, do not book with a UK agent as your T&Cs will be horrible.
Each person has a Castaway Club status and this will give you your day for booking excursions, adult dining and the like. As a newbie, you can book just 75 days out I'm afraid - you have to be paid in full to be able to book anything too, but for you it'd be no earlier than 75 days. After your first cruise, you become a silver Castaway Club member and you can then book at 90 days out.

Both the Dream and Fantasy have the AquaDuck, while the Magic has the AquaDunk and the Wonder just has the yellow Twist and Spout slide for children (mainly).

No need to book any theatre or cinema time ... there are enough seats for everyone and they have 2 dining sittings to help with this. So when the early diners (main dining) are eating, the late diners will be at the show. Then you all swap over basically! For characters, the only ticketed ones are generally the Frozen gang and Princess Gathering. For PG, it just means 4 Princesses all together so you only queue once, but these Princesses will also appear throughout the cruise on their own. The PG just makes it easier to get all photos/autographs in one go. Tickets will be available once you board if you can't get any online when you do your online check in.

As was previously recommended, depending on the show (the Dream has just started playing the new Beauty and the Beast live show), it's recommended you go to the theatre around 20-30 mins before door open. Not necessary for the other shows really, especially if it's just the 2 of you and you don't mind not sitting in the front row.

As for time of year, go outside of major US holidays and you won't go far wrong. We like Sept or Oct, but you are then at the mercy of hurricane season (hasn't got us yet though!). Just make sure you get cruise insurance on top of your normal stuff and make sure it includes weather issues.

Hope that helps

Joa

Hope that helps!
Old 5 Feb 18, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
limmy
Imagineer

limmy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thanks so much. Very helpful.
Never thought of cruise insurance. I'll have to check out the different weather's in the Caribbean to find out when suits. We are a family of 4 so won't need any adult dining. They'd be in different kids clubs and I'd be scared of losing them lol.
DCL 2019
limmy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 18, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by limmy View Post
Thanks so much. Very helpful.
Never thought of cruise insurance. I'll have to check out the different weather's in the Caribbean to find out when suits. We are a family of 4 so won't need any adult dining. They'd be in different kids clubs and I'd be scared of losing them lol.
How old are your children?
The Oceaneers Club and Lab are really one club linked by a walkway. Children are free to roam between the two as they like, unless one of the spaces has Open House (like an open day so all welcome), then children will be ushered into the 'other side' so they are away from adults who are not their parents etc.

The Club and Lab are open to children aged 3 (and completely toilet trained) to 12. After that, it's Edge, Vibe then 18-20 Society. Children can move up a club if they are almost at the right age and if there is space, but they can never move down, so a 13 yr old cannot go in the Club/Lab (unless it's Open House).

Children under 8 cannot have sign out privileges from the Club/Lab and even when they reach the age of 8, that privilege is up to you. If you want them to stay in until you come get them, that's what will happen. It is VERY secure. Each child wears a wristband like a Magic Band and that tracks their whereabouts throughout the youth space. When you go to collect them, the counsellor is able to tell you exactly where they are within the youth space .. you can only go in to collect them, not to stay (unless it's Open House).

Hope that helps
Joa
Old 5 Feb 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Danielle24
Imagineer

Newbie here too looking to book end sept next year on the 3 night. Just following along for the great advice 😊
Danielle24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List