Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 16 Jan 18, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Alaska excursions recommends

So it is finally in the year we can say we are on the DCL Alaskan cruise this year!
We cannot break the bank so would like recommendations of your best excursions for those who have done this cruise, please.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Ketchikan - Float plane to Prince of Wales island (black bears). was $339 each Alaska Sea Planes
Review: Wouldn't do again. Pilot wasn't very chatty so we didn't really learn much. Long journey out to island in silence. Saw 3 bears but they weren't even close enough to photograph unless you had big zoom thing.

Skagway - Heli over glaciers, land on snow field, mush/steer/ride with dogs and meet puppies. $519 each Temsco Helicopters
Review: Great company. Fog prevented us from doing the dog sledding bit but they changed us to the 'walk on the glacier' trip instead and refunded difference that day. Really good and walking distance from ship!

Juneau - Private whale watching for 6 people with Harv and Marvs. $890 total (pus 5% tax)
Review: Amazing amazing amazing. Really professional, saw lots with lots of learning too. No need to do a private boat next time though as they don't cram people in. Definitely do a smaller boat though (6 people)

It's a really expensive trip, but it was once in a lifetime for us. If you could only do one, I'd do Harv and Marvs.
The towns are horrible by the way .. all jewellery stores like you'd find in the Caribbean which surprised us. Juneau was worst for that. Skagway has a good pub called the Skagway Brewing Company (far end of the main street on the right). Does great food and drink.
Old 21 Jan 18, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
CheshireCaty
Apprentice Imagineer

We did a few of the “best of” excursions. We did Best of Juneau and thought it was great value as we went whale watching, had a lovely lunch buffet and stopped at the Mendenhall glacier. Although I’ve heard great things about Harv and Marvs, I was worried about the smaller boats as I’m not the most confident sailor! The ones used by Disney were larger (which for some is a minus point).
In Skagway you have to do the train. Again we did a best of and after a ride on the White Pass Railway, we stopped at Liarsville for lunch and gold panning. It is a tourist trap, but I thought it gave a really good insight into life at the time and the lunch (outdoor salmon bake) was spectacular. We then returned to Skagway for a tour of the Red Onion Saloon (a former brothel). This was really interesting and we were given a beer to enjoy during the tour.
In Ketchikan we did the Saxman native village. It was the weaker of the excursions as it was very short (about 2 hours inc travel to/ from) but it was $49 each, compared to around $210 for both of the others. There’s not much to do in Katchikan though apart from a few shops and a Harbour. If you do have some free time, see Creek Street before you leave.
I cannot stress enough the importance of arranging excursions, either with Disney or otherwise. It is a spectacular place to visit and we were glad we allocated spends to excursions to make the most of the trip.

Little tip about the voyage itself, I’d very highly recommend taking the guide book “Alaska by Cruise ship” by Anne Vipond. We’d bought to plan the cruise, but the captain regularly used the book as a reference point to guide the passengers through the sailing. It has lots of info about the stretches you’re passing. It was available to buy onboard too.

Have a great trip 😁
WDW - 92, 93, 95, 97, 00 x2, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09 x2, 10, 11 x2, 12, 13, 14, 15 x2, 17 x2, 18, 19 x 2, 22--- DLP - 95, 01, 03, 06, 11, 14, 18, 19—- Disney Cruise - 2012 - Bahamas, 13 - Med, 15 - 15n EBTA, 16 - Alaska, 19 - Northern Europe.
"You may have noticed I'm not all there myself" -
CheshireCaty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Ketchikan - Float plane to Prince of Wales island (black bears). was $339 each Alaska Sea Planes
Review: Wouldn't do again. Pilot wasn't very chatty so we didn't really learn much. Long journey out to island in silence. Saw 3 bears but they weren't even close enough to photograph unless you had big zoom thing.

Skagway - Heli over glaciers, land on snow field, mush/steer/ride with dogs and meet puppies. $519 each Temsco Helicopters
Review: Great company. Fog prevented us from doing the dog sledding bit but they changed us to the 'walk on the glacier' trip instead and refunded difference that day. Really good and walking distance from ship!

Juneau - Private whale watching for 6 people with Harv and Marvs. $890 total (pus 5% tax)
Review: Amazing amazing amazing. Really professional, saw lots with lots of learning too. No need to do a private boat next time though as they don't cram people in. Definitely do a smaller boat though (6 people)

It's a really expensive trip, but it was once in a lifetime for us. If you could only do one, I'd do Harv and Marvs.
The towns are horrible by the way .. all jewellery stores like you'd find in the Caribbean which surprised us. Juneau was worst for that. Skagway has a good pub called the Skagway Brewing Company (far end of the main street on the right). Does great food and drink.
Joa, these sound fabulous but may be a bit too rich for our blood and wallet! Skagway Brewing Company sounds good though!
We also have Icey Srait so can't decide where to dl the Whale watching.

Originally Posted by CheshireCaty View Post
We did a few of the “best of” excursions. We did Best of Juneau and thought it was great value as we went whale watching, had a lovely lunch buffet and stopped at the Mendenhall glacier. Although I’ve heard great things about Harv and Marvs, I was worried about the smaller boats as I’m not the most confident sailor! The ones used by Disney were larger (which for some is a minus point).
In Skagway you have to do the train. Again we did a best of and after a ride on the White Pass Railway, we stopped at Liarsville for lunch and gold panning. It is a tourist trap, but I thought it gave a really good insight into life at the time and the lunch (outdoor salmon bake) was spectacular. We then returned to Skagway for a tour of the Red Onion Saloon (a former brothel). This was really interesting and we were given a beer to enjoy during the tour.
In Ketchikan we did the Saxman native village. It was the weaker of the excursions as it was very short (about 2 hours inc travel to/ from) but it was $49 each, compared to around $210 for both of the others. There’s not much to do in Katchikan though apart from a few shops and a Harbour. If you do have some free time, see Creek Street before you leave.
I cannot stress enough the importance of arranging excursions, either with Disney or otherwise. It is a spectacular place to visit and we were glad we allocated spends to excursions to make the most of the trip.
That I'd what we had heard and Best of sounds almost made for us we think. We were leaning towards those two and not worrying too much in Ketchikan.
Little tip about the voyage itself, I’d very highly recommend taking the guide book “Alaska by Cruise ship” by Anne Vipond. We’d bought to plan the cruise, but the captain regularly used the book as a reference point to guide the passengers through the sailing. It has lots of info about the stretches you’re passing. It was available to buy onboard too. I love a book. I shall seek this out!
Have a great trip 😁
Thank you, very helpful and we will!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Bumping
Old 6 Feb 18, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

At Ketchikan we did a duck boat tour and then spent the day wandering around at our leisure. It’s such a pretty town and there is quite a bit to look at. The duck tour have us a good overview for $20 each and then we walked back to places we wanted to take a further look at. After that we found a lovely little pub, sat there drinking a few local brewed beers and used their WiFi. There is also a lumberjack show for $40pp but the pub we found was almost next to it and you could see some of it from there for free.

At Juneau we did the mount Roberts aerial car and it was stunning. So high up that this ships looked tiny docked below, this was $25pp. We also did mendenhal glacier and what watching which was a full 6 hour tour and was $160 per person. Expensive but worth it for us.

At Skagway we did the white pass train $99 pp but again well worth it. Not much else to do in Skagway (just my opinion).

Icy straight point has a lot of whale watching trips but the one thing we want to do when we go again is the zip lining!

Hope that helps. We cruised with celebrity so not sure whether the same excursions are available but I would imagine they are.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Also not an excursion recommendation but an Alaska cruise one in general. We’ve done 2, and love it there. However we’ve picked up colds each time and cold and flu tablets on the boat and in the shops in port were so expensive ($19) for 3 days worth. So pack yourself some lemsips etc as although there is stuff you can buy it comes at a hefty price!
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List