Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 1 Mar 18, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Sounds fab!
Id love that itinerary at some point in the future!

We sail with RCL on Mariner Of The SEas next month! (ARGHHHH - we 're not ready yet! ) doing Singapore to Thailand, India Oman and Dubai)

So will be able to report back and say what we think.

We've bought the all inclusive drinks package. My advice is wait for a sale, it is quite expensive so any saving is worth hanging on for

We've booked various excursions via RCL and to be honest we didn't think they were too badly priced in comparison.

We are recent cruise converts but already I can't get enough of cruising!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 18, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Pootle
Very Serious Dibber

Pootle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Sounds like a great trip you have planned

Boston is a very walkable city, and although I haven't cruised into it, I read that shuttles are often provided to take you to downtown which I believe is about a mile and a half away. I would recommend researching the Freedom Trail, which links up important historic sights. We also took a guided bus tour (the hop-on, hop-off type) from Boston Common, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get one from the cruise terminal itself.

We did cruise into Halifax (with DCL) and there we hired a car and drove to Peggy's Cove, a famous old fishing village with a much-photographed lighthouse. Enjoyed it, but it was swarming with people, so we regretted stopping off at Tim Horton's first - a well-known Canadian coffee chain (for good coffee and Timbits) so we could use their free internet! The ship is bound to offer (expensive) excursions to Peggy's Cove. It was a pleasant walk from the cruise ship terminal at Halifax into the town.

Enjoy your planning!

Edited at 09:42 AM.
Pootle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 18, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Sounds fab & something that is on our list to do over the next few years I hope you are going to write a trip report! I would love to read all about it.
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 18, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Sounds fab!
Id love that itinerary at some point in the future!

We sail with RCL on Mariner Of The SEas next month! (ARGHHHH - we 're not ready yet! ) doing Singapore to Thailand, India Oman and Dubai)

So will be able to report back and say what we think.

We've bought the all inclusive drinks package. My advice is wait for a sale, it is quite expensive so any saving is worth hanging on for

We've booked various excursions via RCL and to be honest we didn't think they were too badly priced in comparison.

We are recent cruise converts but already I can't get enough of cruising!
Have a great cruise! I have also paid for drinks package.

Originally Posted by Pootle View Post
Sounds like a great trip you have planned

Boston is a very walkable city, and although I haven't cruised into it, I read that shuttles are often provided to take you to downtown which I believe is about a mile and a half away. I would recommend researching the Freedom Trail, which links up important historic sights. We also took a guided bus tour (the hop-on, hop-off type) from Boston Common, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get one from the cruise terminal itself.

We did cruise into Halifax (with DCL) and there we hired a car and drove to Peggy's Cove, a famous old fishing village with a much-photographed lighthouse. Enjoyed it, but it was swarming with people, so we regretted stopping off at Tim Horton's first - a well-known Canadian coffee chain (for good coffee and Timbits) so we could use their free internet! The ship is bound to offer (expensive) excursions to Peggy's Cove. It was a pleasant walk from the cruise ship terminal at Halifax into the town.

Enjoy your planning!
Thanks that's some good tips - Boston we might Segway (better than sitting on bus, and faster than walking!)
I think we will walk to Halifax town/harbour area and just check that out.

Originally Posted by Cutiepie View Post
Sounds fab & something that is on our list to do over the next few years I hope you are going to write a trip report! I would love to read all about it.
Thanks Cutiepie!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hiya

Which St John are you going to?

We did St John, Newfoundland and Halifax last Sept - we were on a TA cruise with Princess.

St John we walked out and you could do everything on foot. Unfortunately for us it rained most of the day but we walked right up to the fort (signal hill) where the first transatlantic message was received. And a little fishing village called Quidividi was a great walk across the hill too.

In Halifax we hired a car - last minute while we were waiting for the boat to sail from Reykjavik - cost us £45 for the day for a big SUV. The tour we had booked was over £100 each!

We walked off the ship and picked up the car a 10 min walk away. We were able to get a head start on the tourist mob at the lighthouse and did extra stuff and driving around that the tour bus didn't do
We visited the cemetery where some of the Titanic passengers are buried (just drive straight in - was quite weird but everyone did it).

We then drove up the coast and found a mom and pop diner for a late lunch of home made clam chowder!.

We wished we had left a little longer to walk along the seafront area - it was really lovely and busy and it was a fabulous hot day but didn't have long to get back to the ship.

We absolutely loved Halifax and would love to spend more time there.

Katie x x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 18, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Mobile

We did a similar itinery a few yesrs ago. Unfortunately we didnt have great weather.
We had a lovely trip to Peģgys Cove when in Halifax
Our visit to Portland was actually a beautiful autumn dsy & it was one of the nicest ports we have ever visited.
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 18, 01:55 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

That sounds fab
We was considering a similar cruise for this year, it looks a beautiful part of the world.
We've sailed on one RCI cruise and really enjoyed it, the ships are spectacular.
We decided on a different cruise, but like you we are spending 4 nights in New York, only we are there after our cruise,.
Happy planning
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 18, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

katie its Saint John, New Brunswick, we have found a great little private tour, called Go Fundy, which looks good. I think in Halifax we will just do our own thing, hoping weather will be kind!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 18, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Louise this sounds amazing! I'll look forward to the report!
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List