Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 10 Apr 18, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Cali Grill - picky eaters

I so desperately want to have dinner here, the main reason being for the fireworks view. There are 5 of us, and none of us are particularly adventurous eaters. I'd have to ask for changes, no sauces, different (plain) sides etc on every single meal.

It's so frustrating, as every other restaurant we want to eat at has "simpler" options, but there isn't a single item on CG's menu I wouldn't have to ask to change.

I was planning on booking it for a night that MNSSHP was on to see Hallowishes.

Should I opt for Narcoosee's instead? They have plenty of "steak & mash" options, and simpler children's meals, if my kids decided they'd rather eat off that menu.

I don't want to kick myself for, once again, missing off CG and not seeing the fireworks from there, but at the same time I know it'd be silly booking it when we may not particularly enjoy the food!
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 18, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post

It doesn’t look like a particularly exotic menu to me. But I wouldn’t go to a restaurant if I didn’t like the look of anything on the menu. I would find another restaurant.

I don’t think it is particularly good for HEA as that is more about castle projection.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 18, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer81
Imagineer

DisneyDreamer81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I wouldn't go for dinner at CG if I didn't like anything on the menu. Have you thought about maybe going for brunch instead? There might be a few more things on the menu that you all like? You can then go back later on and view the fireworks if you show your receipt.

I'm pretty sure you can also go to the CG lounge for a drink, etc, and still get to see the fireworks. Although you'd probably have to get there pretty early to snag a table!
2015 - Disneymoon! Caribbean Beach Resort & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
2017 - Yacht Club & Disney Dream
DisneyDreamer81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post

I highly recommend Cali Grill – worth the 2 tokens. Has an upmarket and special feel which was ideal for my eldest’s Birthday.

The menu has a good mix – exotic flavoured dishes and some simple chicken/potatoes type too.

Try to book a table along the window (on the right when you walk in) as these boast indoor seated views of the Fireworks.

Alternatively just go for a drink only at that time, but you’ll have to be quick to get a decent view in the Balcony area as it fills up around 20 minutes before the start of the display.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Thanks everyone. We probably won't make an ADR for Cali Grill, as much as I want to see the fireworks from there. There isn't a single "side" on the menu that any of us would eat and it would silly for us to use 10x TS credits and pay $100 tip when we won't really enjoy it.

It's a shame really, as we can make every other menu work for us. We may do Narcoossee's (meat & Yukon gold mash = perfect, or even the kids meals if push comes to shove) for the fireworks. Or, we can book 2 separate ADRs instead, at one of the monorail resorts for that night and view from the Poly. We'll see... I have 11 days until I can start booking my ADRs
Shani is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

You can just ask for something, they are very accommodating. We asked for fries as a side - not on the menu but they were happy to do it.

Edited at 03:43 PM.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

We did Cali Grill for first time in 8 visits last year. Similar concerns about menu and what to wear!

It was, without doubt, our best meal at WDW in all that time. Probably the smallest quantity of food - which was a relief after 7/8 days on the DDP...and we were still full. But the whole experience was well worth it (and the tip!) - we saw it as an opportunity to try new foods, and not worry so much if we eat them (we more than made up for it at the various buffets we went too during our stay!).

It was a wonderful experience, fireworks from the balcony were great. Yes, you can see them better from close up, and sure you will do that too...but so good not to be on that heaving crowd.

We aren't on the DDP this year... and no way can afford it...so really glad we got to do it. I am sure Disney can rustle up some food you like...but it's really only a small part of it.

If it cost $100 (the amount you quote as a tip) I would pay that like a shot to do it!
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Bear View Post
You can just ask for something, they are very accommodating. We asked for fries as a side - not on the menu but they were happy to do it.
Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
We did Cali Grill for first time in 8 visits last year. Similar concerns about menu and what to wear!

It was, without doubt, our best meal at WDW in all that time. Probably the smallest quantity of food - which was a relief after 7/8 days on the DDP...and we were still full. But the whole experience was well worth it (and the tip!) - we saw it as an opportunity to try new foods, and not worry so much if we eat them (we more than made up for it at the various buffets we went too during our stay!).

It was a wonderful experience, fireworks from the balcony were great. Yes, you can see them better from close up, and sure you will do that too...but so good not to be on that heaving crowd.

We aren't on the DDP this year... and no way can afford it...so really glad we got to do it. I am sure Disney can rustle up some food you like...but it's really only a small part of it.

If it cost $100 (the amount you quote as a tip) I would pay that like a shot to do it!
You've both just thrown the cat amongst the pigeons again!

Everything I'd read suggested they couldn't provide fries as a side, but if they can - or just plain mash, or any potato really with no sauce, I'd be so happy.

They used to have duck fat marble potatoes on the menu, but they don't any more

The sides I can see on the current menu would be: Aged Gouda Mac and Cheese, Mixed Power Grains, Goat Cheese Polenta, Truffle-Herb Potato Gnocchi, Potato-Rutabaga Gratin... and I know none of us would eat those.

My eldest son has dyspraxia and along with that, serious food taste/texture issues so even the kids pizza is out for him (he'll only eat plain Tesco value pizza).

We've eaten at Le Cellier and the Boathouse and loved it. We have Yachtsman planned and that menu looks brilliant. We're not the "fine dining" types, but I did want to go to CG for a "special" meal.

Edited at 04:00 PM.
Old 11 Apr 18, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

I reckon if you explain that to them / the chef, they would give you something you can eat...

My son has dyspraxia, alopecia, autism, aphergers, adha... AND is a vegetarian! We have always found something...or his had a snack after!

It's probably cheaper than doing the desert party?!
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 18, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Shani View Post
You've both just thrown the cat amongst the pigeons again!

Everything I'd read suggested they couldn't provide fries as a side, but if they can - or just plain mash, or any potato really with no sauce, I'd be so happy.

They used to have duck fat marble potatoes on the menu, but they don't any more

The sides I can see on the current menu would be: Aged Gouda Mac and Cheese, Mixed Power Grains, Goat Cheese Polenta, Truffle-Herb Potato Gnocchi, Potato-Rutabaga Gratin... and I know none of us would eat those.

My eldest son has dyspraxia and along with that, serious food taste/texture issues so even the kids pizza is out for him (he'll only eat plain Tesco value pizza).

We've eaten at Le Cellier and the Boathouse and loved it. We have Yachtsman planned and that menu looks brilliant. We're not the "fine dining" types, but I did want to go to CG for a "special" meal.
I think they would happy accommodate you, we had fries for one person and another person asked to remove items - no mushrooms - they were happy to do this and in fact suggested replacements etc.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List