Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Oct 13, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Debsc1
Excited about Disney

First timers

So we are looking at maybe possibly (he he who am I kidding ) looking at booking our first ever cruise with DCL this year

As it is our first time we are going to start with a 3 day Bahamas cruise, DH says if we like it maybe we could go for longer next time

Anyhoo I have already read the v informative sticky at top of page, and have e-mailed recommended agents for quotes, but I have a couple of questions for starters. Sorry if they have been asked a billion times before

Is it worth getting any sort of an outside cabin on a 3 day cruise, or will we as I suspect spend so little time in the cabin that we should save our $ and go with an inside one ?

Also we will need to spend 3 or 4 days somewhere before the cruise. We have always stayed offsite in a villa (apart from when we have stayed overnight at HRH) but are thinking of staying in a hotel as it will only be 4 nights/3 days. Our second week will likely be away from Orlando at the coast.

We will probably only do one or two theme park days, so not sure it will be worth paying the premium to stay onsite? Plus there will be 5 of us, so we really need 2 rooms. So really I'm just looking for some ideas, where does everyone else stay pre cruise? I have thought about hiring a villa for those few days, but I think it will be pretty unlikely we will get anything in August! So that leaves onsite 1 bed villas which seem mighty expensive, or 2 adjoining hotel rooms, or even an offsite hotel (and I really wouldn't know where to start )

Any ideas gratefully received !
2003 Formosa Villa, 2005 DLRP, 2006 Hampton Lakes Villa, 2007 Formosa Villa/Wildnerness Lodge, 2008 Formosa Villa/Sanibel, 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Formosa Villa/Key Largo, 2010 Emerald Island Villa/Sanibel, 2011 Emerald Island Villa/Sanibel. 2013 Emerald Island /Sanibel 2014 Sanibel/DCL/BLT 2015 Sanibel/Windsor Hills 2017 AKL/BLT 2018 BCV/AKV 2019 CBBR/SSR
2020 Poly/BWV/RPR cancelled 2021 RPR/AKV/RR/CR cancelled Anthem of the Seas
Debsc1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 13, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi! I have booked our first Disney Cruise for next year August and we are starting with a 3 night Bahamian too. We did consider a 4 night as it works out that time on the ship is a lot more...but the price difference made our final decision for us.

We also wondered about inside vs verandah cabin and in the end I decided on verandah. It worked out only a few quid more, because the indoor cabins have the magic porthole, but I though that for us personally, if we only step out onto the verandah for a few minutes a day and look over the ocean or Castaway Cay...it'll be worth it. Also the rooms seem to be slightly bigger and I like the idea of a little more space and natural light. I can however see the appeal of the magic portholes with the animations to look out for.

Saying that though, I am speculating here and just going by the advice I have read previously as like I said...I haven't sailed yet.

So I guess the price difference is fairly small and then it's down to personal preference. We also had an idea of what level/floor we wanted to be on and this had a small influence on our room choice. I also wanted a room with the split bathroom for more privacy when dressing...so that too influenced our choice of room.

As for staying in WDW, our cruise is at the end of our holiday. We literally get off the ship and have 3 more days at WDW before we fly home. We are staying at Bahama Bay Resort and don't intend to bring all our stuff on the cruise...we'll keep it all at our condo.

Booking our first cruise has been so exciting and Disney Cruise Line website has tonnes of great information! Hope you have fun planning your trip too.
Reereef is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 13, 02:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Like 99% of people on here! I would recommend a 4 night over a 3 night definitely.
Regarding the veranda, if you have limitless money, then go for it, but if your budget is rigid, an inside or ocean view room is perfect. Depending on the ages if those travelling with you, it may be good to have 2 inside or ocean view rooms as opposed to a family room sleeping 5. This would give you 2 bathrooms and double the space obviously.

The veranda rooms are no larger inside than most inside rooms, it's just the outdoor space that makes them feel bigger. An ocean view room can normally be bought for the same price as an inside, so if you absolutely must have natural light, that's the way to go.

My one plea would be to look at the price of a 4 night to see if that's achievable.

For accommodation, there are plenty of places that sleep 5 in Orlando, it's personal choice of location though. I know there are suites on IDrive as my family stayed there a few years ago. They were really nice and spacious. I've heard great reviews of Bahama Bay so maybe that could be a choice.

Hope that's helped you.
Old 29 Oct 13, 02:30 AM  
Link to this Post

We did the 4night for our First Cruise with DCL and I have now just returned from our 4th Cruise on the Fantasy last Month. We have always went for a verandah and that is because we do enjoy our own quiet space and enjoy sitting out there after a Busy Day or night.

Before the Cruise we tend to stay in Disneys Vero Beach Resort. We love the fact that it is only a short Drive to PC from there and we do love Vero as well. After the Cruise we go up to DW and continue the rest of our Holiday.

The length of the Cruise is as others have said all depends on Finances, but if you can afford the 4night as a First then do try and do it. The time on the ship is so much more relaxed and you can try and get more done on the 4night.
I'm sure you will truly enjoy the DCL and will be returning for a 2nd Cruise just like most of us.

If you are going to stay onsite in a one Bedroom Villa then try and Rent Dvc Points of a Dvc'er. Disneys Old Key West Resort has a great size for for a family of 5. Have Fun Planning.

Edited at 02:35 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Oct 13, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Debsc1
Excited about Disney

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone

I will wait until we get the quote, and see if we can afford 4 nights instead of 3 if we maybe go for a slightly lower class of cabin.

I will definitely check out Bahama Bay. I had thought about renting DVC points from a dibber and trying for a one bed villa at OKW or SSR so that might be an option.

Will keep everyone posted
2003 Formosa Villa, 2005 DLRP, 2006 Hampton Lakes Villa, 2007 Formosa Villa/Wildnerness Lodge, 2008 Formosa Villa/Sanibel, 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Formosa Villa/Key Largo, 2010 Emerald Island Villa/Sanibel, 2011 Emerald Island Villa/Sanibel. 2013 Emerald Island /Sanibel 2014 Sanibel/DCL/BLT 2015 Sanibel/Windsor Hills 2017 AKL/BLT 2018 BCV/AKV 2019 CBBR/SSR
Debsc1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 13, 01:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by Debsc1 View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies everyone

I will wait until we get the quote, and see if we can afford 4 nights instead of 3 if we maybe go for a slightly lower class of cabin.

I will definitely check out Bahama Bay. I had thought about renting DVC points from a dibber and trying for a one bed villa at OKW or SSR so that might be an option.

Will keep everyone posted
We're owners at OKW and the 1 bed places are huge. The ones at SSR are not as big but are just as nice! (We have no spare points unfortunately)
Have you asked for quotes from US travel agents? What category stateroom did you ask for?
Old 30 Oct 13, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Debsc1
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Have you asked for quotes from US travel agents? What category stateroom did you ask for?
Yes I have, and I am looking at two rooms as there are 5 of us (with 2 teens). I have a quote for a Cat9B and Cat11A on the 3 day cruise (deck 2), or a Cat8B/C and Cat11A on the 4 day cruise (decks 8 or 9). Plus the TA has also thrown in a quote for two Cat9B rooms on deck 2 on the 4 day cruise I haven't had time to sit down and work out exactly how much each quote is in pounds, but just glancing at it the two Cat9Bs on deck 2 on the four day cruise look quite well priced. Any thoughts?
Old 30 Oct 13, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread