Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 2 Mar 15, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Grapesoda
Apprentice Imagineer

That was a nice bit of pixie dust from your server.

DLP Jan 2014 ~ Sante Fe
DLP Jan 2015 ~ Cheyenne
Pretrip report Here
Report in progress Here
Food Report ~ Here
Grapesoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 15, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post

really enjoying your report lovely touch from the server the cake looked lovely
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 15, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Teach0778
Imagineer

Teach0778's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Fab report - look forward to reading the rest
Old 2 Mar 15, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Wow love this! Amazing food report! That bacon wrapped meatloaf has just made the cut... it looks and sounds delicious!
Old 6 Mar 15, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
jonsgirl80
Imagineer

Day 6

Today we were up bright and early again - the plan was to go to magic kingdom and take advantage of the extra magic hours, grabbing a quick breakfast from the park.

We were up and out for 7.30am - the monorail wasn't running this morning so we had to take the ferry - we'd expected it to be really busy this morning with people taking advantage of the extra hour but there was nobody around at all.

The boys headed straight for seven dwarves mine train and I had a wander around fantasyland. Pretty soon we were ready for something to eat.

Gaston's tavern was our breakfast of choice this morning for one of their amazing cinnamon rolls- it was quite busy in here and we were queuing for a while but despite that we managed to get a seat. We ordered a cinnamon roll and a Le Fou's brew to share.

The cinnamon roll was immense - almost as big as my head! It was soft, warm and gooey - bliss. Apparently it had maple frosting but the maple flavour was very very mild. Half of this was enough for a light breakfast. It cost $4.19.

The Le Fou's brew was interesting - apple slush with marshmallow and passion fruit foam - it was tasty and refreshing and cost $4.99.

The boy had apple sliced with a caramel dip - he enjoyed this and ate every bit of it - cost $3.29. The total cost would have been $13.40 but I used three snack credits.

After a couple of hours wandering round magic kingdom it was time for our lunchtime ADR - today's choice was liberty tree tavern. We checked in and waited with the other families - here, when your table is ready the servers announce your name and your home state to the restaurant - "hear ye, hear ye - please welcome x family from the state of Texas" etc well she had quite a bit of difficulty with ours - "hear ye, hear ye please welcome the Kaye family from the state of ... erm... from... erm... York- shay-ear" never heard Yorkshire pronounced quite like that before.

We were seated and another server came - her badge said she was from Essex, UK, but she had the strongest southern US accent I have ever heard. She was going through the menu and said that today they had a special on - fish and chips - she then started explaining to us what fish and chips was and that it was a british speciality and came with british chips which were like fries not potato chips - she realised we were Brits when we started laughing and we had a good bit of banter about the UK.

Drinks were ordered - I had a pomegranate lemonade.

I'd never had this before but it was very nice, just the right balance of sweet and tart. DH had a fanta and the boy wanted the fruit punch with a special cup and a light up pirate clip on the straw.

When the server brought this she said she said it should be extra but it was on her and it would be our little secret - very nice of her I thought.

After a light breakfast we were fairly hungry so decided to have a starter. DH fancied trying the crab and lobster dip so we went for that - it served two and came with a warm baguette.

This was lovely, packed with chunks of lobster and very creamy. DH had never tried crab before but was a big fan.

For main - I had the pilgrims feast.

Roast turkey with herb bread stuffing, mashed potatoes, veg and gravy. Really enjoyed this - the turkey was tender and juicy and the stuffing was full of flavour.

DH had the pot roast - beef and mushrooms in red wine gravy, served with mash potato and veg. He loved this - the meat was very tender.

The boy surprised us by choosing a turkey dinner - same as mine but without the stuffing. He eats that sort of thing at home but not usually when we are out so this was a pleasant surprise. I was pleased to see he ate every little bit.

By now we were very full but dessert was included on DDP so it would have been rude not to. I already knew what I wanted - ooey gooey toffee cake.

Oh my goodness. Best. Dessert. Ever.! Seriously- it was so good. The texture was more like a soft cookie than a cake - it was warm and gooey and filled with soft toffee. It came with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce. Even though I was stuffed from my main course there was no way I was leaving any of this.

DH had the chocolate cake which was good he said but not as good as mine (I reluctantly let him have a tiny taste - just to make him jealous)

The boy had a ice cream sundae - which again he finished.

The server put candles in our desserts in celebration of our birthday/anniversary. She popped over before bringing the desserts out and told us that they usually announce celebrations to the whole restaurant and make a big fuss but as we were British she thought we might not like that. We didn't mind either way but it was nice that she checked with us beforehand.

The bill came to $82 but we used 3 TS credits and I paid $14.99 out of pocket for the crab and lobster dip. I left a 20% tip as the service was really good. We really enjoyed our meals here today - all of the food was really good and even the fussy boy ate a full proper dinner. It made a really nice change from the usual fried offerings we tend to eat while we are in Disney. Unfortunately it will be closed for refurbishment when we go this year so we can't go back this time I really hope they don't change it too much - oh well gives us an excuse (as if we needed it) to go back in 2016!

After a few hours we were peckish again - it was a hot day so ice cream was in order. We returned to the plaza and had exactly the same as last time - I had an ice cream cookie sandwich with mint choc chip ice cream.

This was just as good as last time and just as big and I ate it all while watching the parade.

After our early start we were ready to leave the park after the parade - tonight we were going to downtown disney as I'd surprised the boys with tickets for cirque du soleil for their birthdays. The boys had been asking to go for a while and I'd always said no because I really hated the last circus I went to so they were pleased and surprised when I gave them the tickets.

I wasn't really looking forward to it but decided to keep an open mind. I booked tickets for the very back row so we were quite high up but we had a perfect view and I'm glad I didn't waste my money on the more expensive tickets. The boys wanted drinks so I went to the concession stand - there was an offer on for two drinks in souvenir cups and two popcorn buckets for $20 so I got that.

Did I enjoy the show? Well I didn't hate it. It was good, with some good stunts but a bit too "arty" for me and I don't think I'd sit through it again. The boys loved it though so that's all that matters.

We left cirque about 8pm and went in search of food. Our plan was to go to Wolfgang pucks as we'd really enjoyed it last time. When we got there unfortunately it was really busy and the queue just wasn't moving so we went to earl of sandwich instead. I didn't really have good service here - there was no indication of what you could have for a CS credit so I asked the guy behind the till - he rolled his eyes and did a huge sigh and then gabbled it off so quickly I didn't understand him so I had to ask him again - cue more eye rolling. I ordered two Hawaiian BBQ sandwiches which we'd had last year and enjoyed. When I asked for DH's sandwich to come without cheese I thought the guy was going to have a fit. He kind of threw the pager at me and told me to wait.

He'd said I could have any dessert under $2.99 - the problem was the shelves were really empty and the majority of the desserts that were left cost more than that. I wasn't in the mood to deal with mr grumpy again so I grabbed the last chocolate pudding and a brownie.

The boy had filled up on popcorn and is not the biggest fan of bread so didn't want a sandwich but he'd asked for a bag of crisps so I picked up a bag for him. This caused major issues at the till - where I encountered the lovely "jazaline" who was obviously having a very bad day too "no ma'am you cannot have a side AND a dessert you will need to put one back" I explained several times I wanted to pay for the crisps and use credits for the rest but she couldn't/wouldn't understand and just kept repeating that I couldn't have them both. Eventually I had to put it through as two separate orders which she did but she seemed really annoyed for some reason and practically threw my sandwiches at me. Must be the day for grumpy cast members.

To top it off, when we got our sandwiches DH's had cheese on - I checked the receipt and I'd definitely ordered it without. I wanted to go back in and complain but I was tired and my DH told me to leave it. In the end I decided I couldn't be bothered to have another argument so he just ate it. I don't know what was wrong with the staff in here tonight but they definitely weren't happy. :angry:

The sandwiches were ok but nothing special and we decided we won't be back.

Including two sodas it would have cost $ 25.29 but I used 2 CS credits. I then spent $1.38 on the crisps.

On the way back to SSR we had a look in goofy's candy co and blew some snack credits on bits and pieces including this marshmallow wand for the boy - he enjoyed this it came on a mickey straw which the boy brought home and still uses.

All in all a good day but slightly spoiled by the awful experience at earl of sandwich.
We went back to SSR for an early night as we had a trip to typhoon lagoon on the agenda for tomorrow.

Edited at 12:44 AM.
jonsgirl80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 15, 01:28 AM  
Link to this Post
tiny loz
Trainee Dibber

This is lovely... im getting exited for our trip...thanks for the pics
tiny loz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 15, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the update. Shame about your bad experience in EOS, If they are tired of explaining the dining plan (we had to ask here too about what we could get), why don't they have it on a board/sign.
dismamx2 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 15, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
That is a shame about EOS. It sounds a horrible experience (we do like it ok -ish in there).That service is uncalled for . I think DH would have demanded to speak to a supervisor if that happened to him.

Loving your report
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 15, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
gettingthere
Imagineer

love a good food report.Have to say i am with you when it comes to Tusker house,felt like we were on a conveyer belt,was not impressed,in fact i coplained to disney and got a refund.
Old 10 Mar 15, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Thanks for sharing this. I'm really enjoying your food reports. We are onsite for the first time this year and I'm just not sure how to work DDP for us yet, but your reports are helping.