Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 13 Jul 15, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks for all your comments.
Loading the photos up is taking ages but I have enough for the next day!

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 15, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

So after a nice lie in we made our way to Universal.
We hadn't bothered to have breakfast in our room so that was the first stop.
We chose Starbucks in City walk.
I think OH and DS had egg and bacon muffin type things which were passable.
I had an egg white and spinach breakfast wrap which was rank.
It was rock solid too.
Not an experience to be repeated. They should stick to coffee.

Moving on!
It was almost midday by the time we got into Diagon Alley so we decided on an ice cream from Florean Fortescue's

These were delicious

I think mine was salted caramel and honeycomb maybe?
I think OH had cherry?

DS had the soft serve butterbeer ice cream which was also really good.

We also had some GillyWater

We bought a little potion to tip into it too. These are great little souvenirs. I bought a couple for a friend's son who's Potter mad.
That saw us through until early eve. We'd decided in advance that we'd be eating at Bubba Gump and we'd bought a Landrys card especially.

There was a big queue and the wait was about 45 minutes. We wandered up to the desk and showed our card.
We were presented with a little slip of paper that said seat with 5 minutes. ( I think it was 5, may have been 10)
We did wait quite a bit longer than whatever it was though. We didn't mind because if there isn't a table, there isn't a table.
However, when we were shown through, there was a whole empty section! Never mind, It was still much much quicker.

We've eaten there before and thought it was a fun atmosphere and reasonable food.
I don't think our opinion particularly changed.

We started with hush pups and this is possibly shrimp Mac and cheese?

These were very good. We all enjoyed them.

For mains DS had a shrimp
Po Boy

He was quite disappointed with it. He said it wasn't a patch on the one in 7Bone (a fairly local burger joint) I would have to agree. There really wasn't any flavour. It was quite poor to be honest.

OH had the coconut shrimp which he really liked. I tried one and wished I'd ordered it too! Although the one I chose hadn't been de-veined. Yeugh

This was a good choice. Definitely the best meal of the 3.

I had Jenny's Catch which was fine but again quite bland and watery.

Don't get me wrong, the food is fine but forgetable. We've had far better for far less! OH commented that if it wasn't for the $50 discount he'd have been slightly disgruntled.

We probably won't go back. Purely because there are so many places to eat. Unless it ticks the 'favourites box' then we don't bother.

*I think I feel the same way about TGI's. I love the appetisers but the mains do nothing for me. Maybe just drinks and a whole load of appetisers next time? I'd be up for that

*****We've just been out to eat at 7bone and as I ordered a Po Boy I felt I should share it with you! Now this is the Po Boy by which all others shall be judged! Really excellent and I'm afraid puts Bubba's to shame.

We paid up and dashed back to the car park for a quick change.
We were off to Hard Rock Live for the Beach Boys who were brilliant
They were joined by The Fonz and some more of the Happy Days cast randomly.

Drinks were great In there but I didn't take any photos.

That was another fab day done

Edited at 07:15 PM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 15, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
SpaceLady
Getting Excited

Love, love, love a food report 😄
SpaceLady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 15, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
The Hulk
Imagineer

Fab off-site food report thanks for posting
Sorry for your loss
Las Vegas Oct 14/Jul 16/June 17/Sep 18/May 19
USA east-west June 16
The Hulk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 15, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm thinking it probably would have been helpful if I'd added totals... I'll see if I can find receipts or menus for a rough idea. I'll go back and add what I can

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Old 13 Jul 15, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
Fantastic food report, thanks for sharing. x
Old 14 Jul 15, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

love it,keep it coming x
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 15, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

So today we were going to Discovery Cove
We've been before and swum with dolphins so today was Sea Venture instead.

We arrived early and I believe had a 12:15 slot.
We went to have breakfast before finding a locker and grabbing our snorkels etc

Breakfast looked a bit like this

(Not my photo and we didnt have any of that eggy looking stuff)

This was ok. I just had croissant with jam and I tried some of those French toast sticks.

It was a lovely day again so I obviously felt the need to post this pic on FB before shoving our things into a locker

We went straight to the grand reef and spent ages there before our slot. We did have some drinks and snacks too

I'd really recommend Sea Venture. The 2 divers who came down with us were great. Really friendly and informative.
After that we decided to make use of the free bar!
Now as I said before, I love pina colada slushies so that's what we chose. DS had some sort of frozen soft drink.
We took our drinks to a lounger to enjoy them in the sun.

We both took a sip but said nothing.
I went in for a second which confirmed my first thought...
Then OH looked at me curiously and said
"Does yours have a mild taste of vomit going on?!"

"Yes, yes it does" was my reply
It was yucky! How we laughed! It was really weird. Maybe there was an issue but it was unmistakably vommity
We decided on the alcohol free version instead which was delicious

(Again, not my photo and they serve them in little plastic cups)

Anyway after that OH and I decided we might be hungry. DS declined saying it was a waste of his time and he'd meet us in the lazy river.

To be fair it was a waste of time. Nothing looked particularly appetising. We shared chicken tenders and fries as actually that looked the best.
It was ok (and it is free) but I wouldn't bother next time. We had to queue for ages because they shut 1 side of just as we arrived.
DS was right

We really don't rate the food but then its not what we go there for so that's fine.

The snacks are nice, particularly this trail mix

Plus the beer and ice creams

It's a good idea to get a taxi.
We weren't drunk btw but we did have 2 or 3 drinks each so too much to drive.

When we caught up with DS he called us losers for wasting an hour (yes it took that long) whilst he was having fun in the water!

We had a fab day. We absolutely love it there and I'm a bit sad we're not able to fit it in next year

Anyway, we grabbed our stuff and made our way back to the hotel, showered, changed and stepped outside into the most almighty downpour just in time for our dinner reservation! I'm so glad I'd blow dried my hair

Dinner tonight was at Roy's. We've been before and it's a favourite of ours.

The taxi got us right up to the door so at least we mainly stayed dry.
(My pictures here are really not good. It's quite dark in there and I was quite conscious of looking like a nutter with my camera out!)

We were given a bowl of steamed edamame with 7 spice whilst we looked at the menu.

This was a bit of a stingy portion really. You used to get a lot more!
They were delicious though

We had those with some drinks

I had a pineapple martini

OH had a hummingbird

(No photo there but here's one I took at home)

And DS had some sort of fruity soft drink

Onto the food!

Edited at 10:35 AM.
Old 15 Jul 15, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

*Canoe Appetizer for Two*
Thai Peanut Chicken Satay - Vegetable Spring Roll - Szechuan Ribs - Spicy Tuna Roll - Lobster potstickers with togorashi butter

(We asked for this for 3 which was no problem at all)

It was all fresh and delicious with really distinct flavours. I don't usuallly eat ribs but these are like none I've ever tried elsewhere.

For mains OH had

Seared Sea Scallops*
Potato Purée - Pork Belly - Fennel - Apple - Honey Coriander Glaze

I had
Roy’s Trio*
Hibachi Grilled Salmon - Misoyaki “Butterfish” - Roasted Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi

And DS couldn't decide!
He was torn between

Andouille Crusted Snapper
Tempura Okra - Crystal Hot Sauce Beurre Blanc
And Grilled Swordfish -Edamame Shiitake Ravioli - Corn & Crab Cream

Anyway the server disappeared and came back saying the chef would do him half and half which was a lovely suggestion

Here it is

This meal did not disappoint. It was all fabulous. Despite having eaten all of this we still managed to share 2 puddings between us.

Chocolate fondant and a pineapple upside down cake.
I'm not really into chocolate puddings but I do really enjoy this one.
The pineapple cake is my favourite though as there are some lovely crispy caramelised bits. Yum

Oh finished with an espresso martini. It wasn't quite what he was hoping for (something called rum chada was in it in place of PX sherry) but he still enjoyed it.

We paid up, asked for a taxi and went straight to bed ready for BOG first thing!

Edited at 10:38 AM.
Old 15 Jul 15, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Man v Disney
Excited about Disney

Looks amazing.
You have done some Off site places we hadn't considered, certainly food for thought! What would be your top three off site eating choices?
Man v Disney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List