Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 10 Aug 16, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BufordT View Post
I seem to like everything you guys hate. Wintergreen, Root beer, Iced Tea, Orange Cheese (mainly in liquid form). I will give you Pickles though foul.

Probably get some hate for this one but I cannot stand it when people are fussing over bread and tea bags and 'Engilish' stuff in the US. Have to take my PG Tips and a kettle!, Got to have 'British' Cornflakes or Morrisons Coco Pops. The bread is too sweat, salty, doughy, unhappy. Its ok kids, don't enjoy your two weeks of food and soda freedom and a sugar overload because I have packed no added sugar Robinson's peach barley!, Forget all that cool stuff like Coke and Milkshakes because we have over priced neat Blackcurrant in a tiny squeezable container. Also I didn't expect the Bacon to be crispy, forget the dining plan I'm off the The Cricketers Arms for proper beans and bacon!

Last year I saw an English couple with a flask! yes old school metal union jack flask with TEA! 90 degrees and TEA. Whilst the rest of Magic Kingdom are necking Iced Water, Coke products and lining the waist in their shorts with Mickey Premium bars, they are sat down like is a day out at bloody Chessington Zoo.

Er... Rant over
As an American who has lived in Britain for 27 years I love your post. I have never understood the appeal of no sugar added squash. It has some natural sugar from the fruit anyway, the artificial sweeteners and preservatives can't be good for for kids and it tastes vile. My kids used to drink watered down apple juice occasionally that actually tasted like apples. I really think no sugar added squash is like Marmite and you only like the taste if you grew up on it. That explains Root Beer as well really. I love it.

Ice tea is fantastic in the heat. We drink the unsweetened kind making it healthy as well. My DH was converted on his first visit to Florida 26 years ago. It amazes me how few Dibbers have ever even tried it but complain that all the drinks are fizzy.
Old 10 Aug 16, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
BufordT
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
As an American who has lived in Britain for 27 years I love your post. I have never understood the appeal of no sugar added squash. It has some natural sugar from the fruit anyway, the artificial sweeteners and preservatives can't be good for for kids and it tastes vile. My kids used to drink watered down apple juice occasionally that actually tasted like apples. I really think no sugar added squash is like Marmite and you only like the taste if you grew up on it. That explains Root Beer as well really. I love it.

Ice tea is fantastic in the heat. We drink the unsweetened kind making it healthy as well. My DH was converted on his first visit to Florida 26 years ago. It amazes me how few Dibbers have ever even tried it but complain that all the drinks are fizzy.
I think one of WDW best hidden secrets is when you have a refillable resort mug and the coke machines have a line because well everyone wants some fizz, and I just stroll over to the Iced/Sweet tea urns which never have a line and are always full and refreshing. All I drink here is water, lots of water all day every day It's boring but healthy. For those 2-3 weeks a year all I want is sugar, sweet unhealthy holiday food and beverages. I also am glad my kids want the same, they have earned it they can let loose...Ordered a meal but don't want half of it...That's cool kids. Get outside the restaurant and they instantly want candy floss or popcorn...go for it kids! Our trip is their 2 weeks to get away with crap they couldn't get away with here (apart from theft, public urination and violence...I have to draw a line in the sand) I think I am going to try and get our trip next year sponsored by Lucky Charms as we go through so much of it.
BufordT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 16, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

If I'm honest, some of the food pics people post turn my stomach a bit. All the food seems to be orange! I've yet to see one where it looks appetising.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 16, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
It has some natural sugar from the fruit anyway, the artificial sweeteners and preservatives can't be good for for kids and it tastes vile. My kids used to drink watered down apple juice occasionally that actually tasted like apples.

Absolutely, DH loves unsweetened iced tea! I also agree on sugar free squashes, I think they taste vile too. Our DD was brought up on diluted apple juice and I never gave her sugar free squashes. She's now a 6 ft, 9 stone marathon runner with no fillings, so it did her no harm!
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 16, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
I've yet to find any US cheese that actually tastes like cheese. They are so bland.
Wholefoods in Orlando has an artisan cheese counter - there are hundreds of superb cheeses there!
Old 10 Aug 16, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Adore meatloaf if its done properly. I have a great recipe an American friend gave me.
Had Elk and Bison meatloaf recently whilst staying in Yellowstone park. Can you imagine going into Tesco and asking if they had any minced Elk?
Haha they clearly wasn't serving us up elk at camp... all I can liken it to is dog food!
Lisa_Lollipop is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 16, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

I've yet to find any US cheese that actually tastes like cheese. They are so bland.
The cheese plate at Signature restaurants is good. Also the one at Food & Wine was nice.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 16, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Love Oreos, love pickles!

The F & W cheese platter was AMAZING. I still have dreams about that goats cheese with cranberry bread.
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 16, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I love those sour dill pickles and always ask for more. Don't like afoot beef and can't stand the smell of those turkey legs.

Grits and gravy put me off by their colour.

Otherwise I just take everything as it comes. When in Rome...
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 16, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by BufordT View Post
I seem to like everything you guys hate. Wintergreen, Root beer, Iced Tea, Orange Cheese (mainly in liquid form). I will give you Pickles though foul.

Probably get some hate for this one but I cannot stand it when people are fussing over bread and tea bags and 'Engilish' stuff in the US. Have to take my PG Tips and a kettle!, Got to have 'British' Cornflakes or Morrisons Coco Pops. The bread is too sweat, salty, doughy, unhappy. Its ok kids, don't enjoy your two weeks of food and soda freedom and a sugar overload because I have packed no added sugar Robinson's peach barley!, Forget all that cool stuff like Coke and Milkshakes because we have over priced neat Blackcurrant in a tiny squeezable container. Also I didn't expect the Bacon to be crispy, forget the dining plan I'm off the The Cricketers Arms for proper beans and bacon!

Last year I saw an English couple with a flask! yes old school metal union jack flask with TEA! 90 degrees and TEA. Whilst the rest of Magic Kingdom are necking Iced Water, Coke products and lining the waist in their shorts with Mickey Premium bars, they are sat down like is a day out at bloody Chessington Zoo.

Er... Rant over
I agree but I bring marmite, my son is a big eater so I keep it at the Villa with crackers, when he is hungry there is always marmite and crackers for snacks, he also has breakfast lunch and dinner and everything inbetween but its saves me money for his snacking!