Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Oct 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Stew_the_red
slightly serious Dibber

12000 Asda workers facing the sack

I cant believe what I have just seen on sky news about the Asda contract dispute, 12000 refusing to sign new terms and they've been given till 2nd nov to sign them or they are out.

I seriously thought them days were gone!
Stew_the_red is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I haven't researched it all but know the issues have been rumbling along for quite a while, I am retired so don't have to worry about my job but over the years I have had my fair share of what I consider to be injustice so I will 'vote with my feet' and will know longer shop at Asda.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'm an ex Asda colleague who worked for them for almost 13 years and in that time experienced things going from bad to worse with constant cutting of hours and piling more and more work on far less of us and expecting better results.
One example I can give is on the department I was on there used to be 9 of us on a Friday evening which eventually dwindled down to 2 and when one of us was off the other was left on their own but the same amount of work was expected.

The new contract being forced on us was the main reason I left along with 4 others on my department.
I didn't stand to lose as much as some colleagues will but wasn't prepared to sign my life over to Asda for an extra 79p an hour.
Since I left in July I've seen on FB quite a few people leaving many of them having worked there in excess of 10 years.

Last week colleagues refusing to sign the new contract were being given leaflets on how to apply for new jobs and being told you're going to need these.
So glad I don't work for them anymore.
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

The difficulty with these stories is that no one gives us all the facts.
Old 17 Oct 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
youre-nicked
VIP Dibber

I saw it on the news a couple of months ago and they had a copy of the threatening letter that the employee had been sent, basically said sign the new contract or leave, the terms and conditions on the new contract were poor compared to the existing ones.

As mentioned, if they sack the people Ill stop shopping there.
Old 17 Oct 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
thedors
Excited about Disney

I work at Sainsburys, & we were told the same when we had to sign a very similar contract last year.

Unfortunately I was/am not in a position to leave & nor were most of my colleagues, so we had to sign.
thedors is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by youre-nicked View Post
As mentioned, if they sack the people Ill stop shopping there.
They will just lay off more staff if people stop going there.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Stew_the_red View Post
I seriously thought them days were gone!
Asda is owned by Walmart who operate similar employment practices in the US.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Oct 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

it happens in every organisation private or public sector. It's unfortunately part of life. Companies/Organisations can't stay static for years and years with no change and expect to keep pace. I guess if you don't like it you go and work for someone else.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 19, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
They will just lay off more staff if people stop going there.
And that's another reason not to self serve.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List