Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 10 Feb 19, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Is the Sunday roast a dying tradition?

Making a Sunday roast right now and just been discussing with my husband about how when I was a kid my mum used to make a Sunday dinner every week we’d eat around 2pm then all the family aunts uncles cousins etc would meet up at my Nan’s house for a couple of hours then home for chicken butties and baths ready for school the next day. Made me quite nostalgic really. Things kind of changed when all the shops opened on a Sunday and people found better things to do.

I’m guilty of this too we don’t always make a Sunday lunch often we go shopping and eat out etc.

Do you do a Sunday lunch?

Do you think it’s a dying tradition? Just curious really 😁
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

No, we never do. Even when we ate meat, we didn’t.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
DadToThree
VIP Dibber

We still do one most Sunday's and if we don't we do tend to have one midweek but then it's pretty much our favourite meal so it's an easy choice!

The only thing I don't like is all the washing up afterwards!
DadToThree is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I love Sunday roast and try and do one as often as I can or we will go out for one. My kids aren’t as bothered as me and I guess that’s due to the fact that Sunday’s are now almost like every other day and they always have something else to do
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

I know why you mean!
We’ve never done a massive family thing, but roast on a Sunday all 5 of us, followed by some bad tele.
My best friend used to always go round her nans for Sunday roast and the afternoon/evening it was their thing!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I feel guilty saying that I've just put in the oven a small piece of marks lamb in a container and some marks ready prepared potatoes for me and the wife (£8 meal deal in marks with vegetables). It is a lazy way of having a Sunday roast, but I guess it's still a Sunday roast.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We just had roast lamb and mint sauce , yorkshire puds, roast potato’s, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, sweet corn, cauliflower cheese, greens, stuffing, and gravy. All washed down with a glass of rose, I did plain cauliflower because dh and ds don’t like cauliflower cheese. It was lovely but I don’t do it every Sunday, last week we had a roast out. Sometimes me and dd go shopping. I do it about once a month rather than every Sunday x
Ps Ds was upset as his girlfriend has gone back to Toronto to live, he is going there in June hopefully. I wanted him to feel home isn’t that bad and he asked for a roast so I cooked it x

Edited at 05:22 PM.
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

We tend to get together with my parents and brother most Sunday evenings for a meal, but its not always a roast. Growing up, bar special occasions it was the 4 of us (me, brother and parents) for our meal on a Sunday.

We do get together for lunch at my Grandad's house on a Saturday, with my aunties and uncles - we don't have a roast, but we've been getting together like this for as long as I can remember (I'm 32), so regular gatherings are very much still a thing in our family, just not for a Sunday roast.
Old 10 Feb 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

It is in our house. I probably cook one once a month, or maybe we will go out for a carvery. We are having steak and chips tonight for our main meal. We do like to all sit down together to eat, but we have whatever we fancy (Or decide to cook) It could be lasagne one week or a more traditional dinner the next.
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I used to make one every Saturday when my MIL came for the afternoon each week and DD was school age. Don’t do it now but have good memories even though it was a pain to do at times when I was working all week.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List