Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
A Foodeating, Sightseeing, Subway Hopping Trip -NY&DC-Day 1

A Foodeating, Sightseeing, Subway Hopping Trip -NY&DC-Day 1

Trip started as all of our trips do, with a stopover at Bewleys the night before. Two days before the holiday I was stuck down by an awful cold, just as I started to wind down at work it caught hold so Adam left me in the room to get an early night while he watched the football in the bar.

With a 9.25 departure we caught the shuttle to terminal 2 at a very respectable 5.45am. Once there we picked up our dollars and travellers cheques from thomascook before heading off to grab some food. We usually make the mistake of stopping at the first little café we find but this year we decided to try out Frankie and Benny’s. At £6 for a breakfast sandwich that was only £2 more than the take out café at the front of the terminal so we’ll definitely be doing that again!

I was still feeling very ill so with breakfast over I went for a lie down while Adam explored. I must have fallen asleep as the next thing I remember was Adam waking me up to say that we now had a gate and could board.

We were flying with United for the first time so I wasn’t sure what to expect. However the plane was comfortable and had the usual legroom.

I still had a full on cold so it was back to sleep for me until the food arrived. It really wasn’t nice as all, Virgin has spoiled all other plane food for me I think. They did however bring round more frequent drink services, but with alcohol a paid for item with united it’s no wonder.

I tried to watch a film for a bit but 3 hours into the flight it over heated so they turned the whole thing off. With 4 hours of flight left to go there was nothing for it but to sleep some more! A mixture of rubbish food, no entertainment and a full on cold made this the worst flight EVER

We landed in Newark and after collecting our luggage quickly made our way towards the airtrain. There was a big queue for the NJ transit machines which took a while (I noticed some more actually at the train station so perhaps wait for those if the queue is large).

Tickets in hand we caught the airtrain to the airport train station and waited for the nj transit to arrive. I was feeling grim so I left Adam with the luggage while I sat inside. Meanie that he is took a photo.

watery eyes, red and runny nose…SEXY!

I was worried there wouldn’t be room for our cases on the train but when it arrived we positioned ourselves in a smaller area reserved for bikes and the disabled. Not sure how this would have worked without this area as the train was a double decker like the ones in Paris and I don’t think the luggage would have fitted up the stairs. Fingers crossed for the way back!

The journey was quick and we soon arrived at Penn Station. We navigated the stairs and exited to daylight. As our hotel was uptown we exited on 8th avenue rather than 7th.

This was our first view…

Probably looks a lot more impressive without the scaffolding ;P

We quickly located the taxi rank and saw the newyorker hotel in the distance.

Once in the cab we were on our way!

a $6 fare + tip and we were at our hotel

We’d chosen the stay at Hotel Mela mainly due to a fab deal on Travel zoo but also because of it’s location, it’s literally a 2 minute walk to time square, you come out next to toys r us in fact.

It was 2pm and an hour before check in but luckily our room was ready, They gave us a series of vouchers, one each for each days breakfast and a voucher each for a free cocktail at the bar. Our room upgrade meant we got a larger room with a HUGE king size bed which Adam was very pleased about.

Before our departure I’d joined the hotels ‘desires’ program which meant a free welcome snack and drink on arrival. I’d opted for m&m’s and water and they were waiting in the room for us along with a note from our ‘desires’ manager

we also found this in the mini bar which I found rather disturbing, thankfully our ‘desires’ manager didn’t leave us one of these!

Although it was only 3pm once we’d freshened up and unpacked a bit, Adam was eager to get going on our journey to the red bulls stadium, I did however manage to convince him to stop and grab some food first.

On the taxi ride I’d noticed a shake shack, a stop on my foodie must do list so we walked there first.

I’d heard the queues could get large here but luckily, probably due to the time of day as I saw huge queues here later in the trip, we didn’t wait long. We opted for a shack burger each, a side of fries and a homemade lemonade to share.

These were really yummy burgers, and the sauce was lovely, a little like a pickled mayo with a hint of mustard. With everything coming to a grand total of $15 it was well worth the money spent.

Full, and with the awful plane food a distant memory, we walked back down to penn station. We’d be taking the PATH train down there. On the way we caught our first glimpse of the Empire State building

**OFF TOPIC**

Now slightly off topic but I want to recommend something here. Before this trip I spent AGES trying to find a good map for my iphone, I even bought a few to try them out, but most didn’t do what I needed. In the end I found “My Maps” and along with this and “NYC Subway” app I had everything I needed.

The benefit of “My Maps” is that it imports your google maps from your account, complete with all colour coded markers and notes for you to use offline. As GPS location services works for free even with roaming turned off I always knew exactly where I was in relation to my markers.

My NY google map complete with points of interest, restaurants and Foodie Tour stops is available here

**OFF TOPIC**

We entered Penn station at the same entrance we’d been at less than 2 hours earlier but this time headed down to the PATH train area. We purchased two “two ride” cards from the machine for $4 each and headed to the platform, we’d be taking a train to journal square and then crossing the platform to get another to Harrison. I was worried this would be rather complex but it was extremely easy and we arrived at the stadium just before 4.30… the match didn’t start until 7pm!

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW

Edited at 05:53 PM.
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 12, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
We took a few photos before it got busy. And headed to the store so that Adam could buy a scarf.

Given that it was now 10pm UK time we decided to sit and relax for an hour before heading into the stadium.

At 6pm we were let in and we were amazed at how swish the place was. I can honestly say that apart from Wemberley this is the most swish stadium I’ve been too. They also had a stall for every kind of food or beverage you could ever want, food was clearly a big part of the game for Americans.

Feeling worse for wear now I found our seats while Adam purchased some drinks.

We were still early so we got some great photos of the stadium.

Adam looking every inch the fan in his scarf ;P

We’d read online that the hardcore fans, “The Vikings” all sat in one area so I had tried to get seats near to them for the atmosphere. They had certainly gone to town on making the area theirs.

Before the match both teams came out to warm up and Adam managed to get some photos of Mr Henry even though he wasn’t playing

Americans are certainly more relaxed about kick off than they are in the UK even thought the match was due to start most were still eating and drinking as the team came onto the pitch, people were still taking their seats at almost half time!

Before the game they had the national anthem and everyone stood up, removed theirs hats and placed their hand on their chests. This was amazing to see, they certainly have a great deal of pride in the US.

And so the game begins

I‘m so glad we sat near the supporters end, they are nutters. Just as the game was about to begin they let off the first of many smoke bombs

and every time the redbulls scored, or in fact any time they came down our end of the pitch, they pulled out a massive flag to wave

They also had a guy up front, who had clearly had one too many red bulls as he kept it up alllll match, on a step ladder with a megaphone leading chants and songs from the stand, he was clearly MENTAL.

By half time everyone has entered the stand including this kid. I soooo wanted his hat!

In the US you aren’t allowed to insult the ref or the other team so rather than the UK tirade of obscenities the crowd just booo’d their disapproval, much more child friendly ;P

June 15-Rome & Florence
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 12, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
After half time everyone made their way back to the stand and I watched as the burly guy in front came back with two huge hotdogs piled high with chilli and onions, I thought he was being kind and had bought one for his friend until his friend came back with two of his own :O Boy these guys can EAT!

The second half was getting a little ugly as the Houston Dynamos tried to equalise, but the ref has a genius way of making sure there was no cheating, for penalties he drew his own lines for the players to stand on and even a circle to show where the ball was to be taken from.

The game finished 1 – 0 to the red bulls. I enjoyed this a lot more than I would a normal football match. The Americans really add their own supporter spin to the game and I’d go again even if it was just to people watch!

As we exited the stadium I was a little worried by the number of people heading for the PATH train, I needn’t have been, this wasn’t national rail we were talking about, these guys knew their stuff and within 30mins we were back at penn station. It was now 10pm… 5am UK time so you would think we’d head straight for bed… HELL NO! Instead we walked to Time Square to check it out, passing the empire state building in the fog on the way…

When we reached Times Square it was BUSY, like Vegas strip in the season busy. You couldn’t walk, you had to shuffle, not fun.

By now it was starting to rain so, feeling peckish, I suggested to Adam we grab some cheesecake from juniors and head back to the room as I was starting to cough and sneeze a fair amount and was ready for some rest to try my best to sleep it off.

We weren’t greedy, we went for one piece of the original cheesecake and it was yum! I loved it apart from the base, it was like a thin cake base, I’m more of a biscuit base gal you see ;P

Full of cheesecake we nodded off just before 11pm, which was a good job, tomorrow was a BUSY day!

June 15-Rome & Florence
Old 20 May 12, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Fantastic day one!

Felt so bad for you having a cold, I've been there!

Can't believe you managed so much on the first day! I would have been asleep ages ago! Lol

Love the pics!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 12, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Nothing worse than travelling with a cold, hope it improved quickly! What a long day, you did well lasting that long! Hotel looks nice!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 12, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
smythy21
Imagineer

smythy21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
great day and some really cool pics
Old 20 May 12, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Manta View Post
Fantastic day one!

Felt so bad for you having a cold, I've been there!

Can't believe you managed so much on the first day! I would have been asleep ages ago! Lol

Love the pics!
I have to say even without the cold I was worried I wouldn't make it through the days plan but I think excitement and adrenaline kicks in. The flu tablets crammed full of caffeine and painkillers can't have hurt either ;P

June 15-Rome & Florence
Old 20 May 12, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
SPN Clann
Imagineer

SPN Clann's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 26
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Great day! Well done you for keeping up the pace with your cold, and well done to the caffeine and painkiller packed flu meds
2015 - Rosen Inn, International Drive
2016 & 2017 - Our HalloWedding & HalloWedding Anniversary, Caribbean Beach
SPN Clann is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 12, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
hross42877
Imagineer

Great read!

Holiday Inn I-Drive (Honeymoon!) Oct2003 /Quality Inn Plaza Feb 2005
Sheraton Studio City International Drive Oct 2010/2012/2013
Animal Kingdom Kidani Village Oct 2014/2016/2018/2023
Atlantis Palm Dubai? 2024
hross42877 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 12, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
NatOwls
Imagineer

Excellent day!
Hope ur cold soon cleared!
Thanks for the Apps info !
May I ask how much the NY Red Bull football tickets were?
Thanks
NatOwls is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List