General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 6 Dec 13, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Day 5 - Top of the Rock, Chelsea Markets, Highline and Home!

We've arrived at our last day! The alarm was set for 7am and as soon as it went off I was up out of bed! I didn’t want to waste any time today! I showered and packed everything while Aaron stayed in bed a bit longer as he didn’t feel too good. Luckily once he had showered he was feeling ok! The packing took about 30 minutes and all bags were coming in underweight. We headed down to reception and left the bags with the concierge. By the time we left the hotel it was 8.45am.

We walked up to 34st station and got on the B train to Rockefeller centre, in no time we were walking past Radio city and heading up to the Top of the Rock! We were very lucky again and there wasn’t really a queue.

The view from here was amazing, all the better for having the Empire State building in the background! I’m really glad we ESB at night / TOTR in the day. It gave ESB a more romantic feel but the TOTR definitely has the best view in my opinion! Again sorry for the photos! I just cannot help myself when the views are so spectacular!

Edited at 04:32 PM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 13, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
I loved the fact that you could keep going up to further floors as well, each time I thought we were at the top, Aaron spotted some stairs and we got a little bit higher! It was amazing.

Before too long we headed back down. We spotted an Aunty Annies Pretzel shop and popped in for a bite to eat. I had a pretzel dog, Aaron had a peperoni pretzel and we shared a coke. Gorgeous and fresh as usual! ($10).

Just as we left the Rockefeller, they were taking down all the scaffolding around the tree! I managed to get a photo of the very top bit!

Once we were back on the street, we headed to the corner of 5th Ave & 53rd St and got the E train all the way down to 14th st. We only had to walk one block and then we saw our destination, the Chelsea Markets! I had read about the markets on a few trippies and it sounded right up my street. I wasn't wrong, it was fantastic!

We meandered through the shops and restaurants having a look in numerous bakers ect to see what we fancied as a snack. Aaron firstly went to a Mexcian place and ordered a chicken quesadilla ($5) It was only small but it was seriously yum! It was one of the freshest things we have ever tasted.

We walked a bit further before I decided I wanted one and we turned back. I had mine with steak and it was just as good! In my eagerness I forgot to take a photo but it looked pretty much the same as the chicken one.

Still not content with what I had eaten so far I set my heart on a chilli dog. The first time we went in we were told the chilli wasn’t ready so we walked for a bit and then returned. I placed my order and asked Aaron if he could grab some seats for us. They took absolutely ages to plate up the hot dogs! I could see them doing every other dish and lots of people who ordered after me were getting served first. I was getting really annoyed. Just as my hot dog was ready, Aaron got up from his secured seats to come over to me! He swears I beckoned him over with a head movement but I think he was just getting impatient! We lost our place and I walked out with my hot dog in a really bad mood! After an argument ensued, I ate in silence and then headed out towards the highline.

We walked for about 45 minutes in total silence before it started to snow and we made friends The high line was lovely but it was very cold again and I imagine it’s got a bit more life in the summer months, I’m glad we did it though.

We walked all the way to 28th street and head off back in the direction of our hotel on foot. We reached Madison Square Park where we watched the dog park for a little while and where I eventually managed to get some ok photos of the flatiron building.

Edited at 11:20 PM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 13, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Aaron was a bit peckish again by this point and we spotted another Mexican type place. He ordered a chicken tortilla. The wrap was made to order and you could have as much salad filling as you want before choosing to add cheese, guacamole ect for a small addition in cost. With an apple juice and a det coke the cost was $14. The wrap was absolutely huge, I helped him out a bit with it Again, it was so delicious and fresh!

We walked back towards the hotel and arrived at 1.45pm. Our bus was due at 2.30pm. We got our bags back and I had a quick face time with my parents while we waited. Before long the bus was there and we all piled on. The drive to the airport was a nightmare, there had been an accident on main route through Queens and our driver had to take a different route to try and get us there in time! On arrival, check in was quite swift. We were on an airbus so we got a set of two seats towards the back which pleased me.

Once we were through security it was only 40 minutes until we were due to board. We had a rushed look in Duty Free although noted that all prices, perfumes, alcohol & make up were considerable more expensive than we are used to in Florida! Without buying anything we went in search of the Panda Express that Aaron had seen a sign for. We both got a humongous tray full of delicious Chinese food with a diet coke for $25. Sooooo much better than cra**y plane food!

We ate a bit of the food in the lounge but were soon called to board so we finished it on the plane. We took off on time and after watching Familly Guy and Facejacker, my tablets kicked in and I was asleep! Aaron watched Fast & the Furious, White house down, Facejacker & family guy and didn't have any sleep. We munched the cereal bars they gave out with breakfast and before long we were landing. The flight was only 6hr 15

This is where my notes end but from memory, it took no time at all to get through security, pick up our bags and get the shuttle to the car park. I drove home while Aaron slept in the car and soon we were back in our house and heading up to bed!

So... Thanks to everyone who has made it to the end of the report! In summary, we adored New York and feel like we will definitely be back at some point. There is still lots we have to do, most notably the Staten Island Ferry & the Brooklyn Bridge on foot. We would stay in the King and Grove hotel again without hesitation, I couldn't fault it. I'm thinking another 4 day trip next summer/autumn maybe !

Edited at 04:39 PM.
Old 6 Dec 13, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

We would love to go back in the spring or the fall. It was freezing when we went in February. The walk over Brooklyn Bridge is an absolute must, fabulous views. I would like to sneak a trip in next summer, my DS is working for Camp America on Long Island at a disabled children's residential place, a good excuse for mummy to visit!
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 13, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bartswife View Post
We would love to go back in the spring or the fall. It was freezing when we went in February. The walk over Brooklyn Bridge is an absolute must, fabulous views. I would like to sneak a trip in next summer, my DS is working for Camp America on Long Island at a disabled children's residential place, a good excuse for mummy to visit!
Yea, thats a pretty good excuse! What a great experience for your son!

I really wanted to the the bridge but it was just too cold!
Old 6 Dec 13, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Great photos and trip!

We went up TOTR around sundown so managed to get the "day" and "night" views but it was VERY busy and everyone hogging the best views took me 30 mins of "pushing" to get the photo I wanted towards the south.

I really want to go back to NY
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 13, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
Great photos and trip!

We went up TOTR around sundown so managed to get the "day" and "night" views but it was VERY busy and everyone hogging the best views took me 30 mins of "pushing" to get the photo I wanted towards the south.

I really want to go back to NY
Aww that makes me feel better about not managing sunset! We were very lucky with low crowds

Thanks for reading
Old 6 Dec 13, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

Great report and photos, brought back some happy memories of when we went. Thank you for sharing.
Rob & Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 13, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Thanks for the report, a great read and lovely pictures. Getting me in the mood for February.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 13, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rob & Jan View Post
Great report and photos, brought back some happy memories of when we went. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks! Glad you've enjoyed it

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
Thanks for the report, a great read and lovely pictures. Getting me in the mood for February.
Thanks! Have you been before?