Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Feb 16, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Tink75 View Post
Thank you Ali - that's really helpful. I am on TA quite a bit at the moment as I'm researching for our Thailand holiday - I've found out so much and people are so helpful!

Lol about it being a holiday of a lifetime. Tbh I know I'm in the minority here, but we did Florida last summer for 3 weeks and while we had an amazing time, none of us are in a hurry to go back in the next few years. We prefer to try new places.

I've had a look on booking.com as I'd be looking for a place where the girls have their own room (so bungalow or something) or at least we have a family type room with a partition between sleeping areas.

DH is saying he wants to go to Cuba . So, my plans may not come to fruition but I'll try.

I agree about Thomsons, and prefer to book my own, but one thing I have found with them, for a family of 4 a package often works out quite a bit cheaper than flights alone and separate accom. I priced our stay in Thailand separately and Thomsons were very much cheaper - almost £2,000! I think it's because they market their flight cost tightly within packages. So, I guess if you booked the cheapest package with them, you could then not worry too much about the accom if you wanted to then have a 3-4 night stay away elsewhere etc. It's all new to me - I'd need to do a lot more research on areas. I was just enthralled reading your TR! Thanks for sharing.
I booked all our accommodation direct with the owners. All had websites and were reviewed on T.A. Many just wanted a deposit to secure the booking with the balance paid on arrival . I prefer to deal direct wherever possible. Most places I booked either two rooms or three bedroomed houses, you can pay as little or as much as you want, our cheapest rooms were £30 a night with fridge/ coffee maker etc, our 3 bedroom airbnb villa was most expensive at just over £100 a night.
British Airways have also started/are starting direct flights from May - November I think, they fly into San Jose which is a far more central location compared to Liberia in the north of the country which is where Thomsons fly. The areas you choose may depend on the time of year you visit , some are drier/wetter at certain times of the year - some are wet all year round
DH has also mentiioned Cuba a couple of times. I am interested but not enough to change my plans, it's on the list
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 16, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ali-s View Post
I booked all our accommodation direct with the owners. All had websites and were reviewed on T.A. Many just wanted a deposit to secure the booking with the balance paid on arrival . I prefer to deal direct wherever possible. Most places I booked either two rooms or three bedroomed houses, you can pay as little or as much as you want, our cheapest rooms were £30 a night with fridge/ coffee maker etc, our 3 bedroom airbnb villa was most expensive at just over £100 a night.
British Airways have also started/are starting direct flights from May - November I think, they fly into San Jose which is a far more central location compared to Liberia in the north of the country which is where Thomsons fly. The areas you choose may depend on the time of year you visit , some are drier/wetter at certain times of the year - some are wet all year round
DH has also mentiioned Cuba a couple of times. I am interested but not enough to change my plans, it's on the list
That's interesting about BA - thanks! I shall store all this information in my planning bible AKA my head.

Cuba is still being dropped into conversation . Still, we have a year or so before we would be looking at booking so I've plenty of time to research .
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 16, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
letty
Imagineer

Fantastic photos, thanks for writing
Old 3 Aug 16, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ljbojangles
Imagineer

ljbojangles's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
just read this trip from start to finish! It looks amazing! I am contemplating Costa Rica next year and this has made me want to go even more! What an incredible holiday
Orlando 1995 - 1998 - 2000 - 2007 - 2009 - 2015
ljbojangles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 16, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ljbojangles View Post
just read this trip from start to finish! It looks amazing! I am contemplating Costa Rica next year and this has made me want to go even more! What an incredible holiday
It's the first place DH has ever asked to return to , I'm hoping we'll get bsck in 2018. If you do decide to go have a look on Trip Advisor before you book anything, don't be tempted by the all inclusive packages Thomson do, it's so easy to make your own arrangements and you'll see so much more.
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 16, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
ljbojangles
Imagineer

ljbojangles's Reviews
It's the first place DH has ever asked to return to , I'm hoping we'll get bsck in 2018. If you do decide to go have a look on Trip Advisor before you book anything, don't be tempted by the all inclusive packages Thomson do, it's so easy to make your own arrangements and you'll see so much more.
Yes thats the plan - my work has an office out there so going to ask some locals for advice! I dont really know where to start to be honest! but your trip has given me lots of ideas!
ljbojangles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 16, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Yes thats the plan - my work has an office out there so going to ask some locals for advice! I dont really know where to start to be honest! but your trip has given me lots of ideas!
Have a look at the Trip Advisor forum, they are fairly busy and usually friendly and helpful.
Best thing to do is decide why you want to go. To see monkeys? Sloths? Macaws? Or is there a particular activity you must do? Then you can narrow down which areas to see as some things can only be done or seen in certain areas. , if like me you want to see and do everything you'll need 2-3 weeks. When you know which areas you are interested in that will help with the when, as some areas are wetter/ drier than others throughout the year. Plan to move around, you can't see much staying in one place for a week , allow 3 or 4 nights per location, so two places per week. Then decide how you want to move between them, hire car, transfer, flight etc
It's all very easy to plan yourself, Costa Rica is set up for tourism and the TA forums will answer anything you aren't sure of. Have fun, I wish I could go back next year now
Old 9 Aug 16, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
ljbojangles
Imagineer

ljbojangles's Reviews
Have a look at the Trip Advisor forum, they are fairly busy and usually friendly and helpful.
Best thing to do is decide why you want to go. To see monkeys? Sloths? Macaws? Or is there a particular activity you must do? Then you can narrow down which areas to see as some things can only be done or seen in certain areas. , if like me you want to see and do everything you'll need 2-3 weeks. When you know which areas you are interested in that will help with the when, as some areas are wetter/ drier than others throughout the year. Plan to move around, you can't see much staying in one place for a week , allow 3 or 4 nights per location, so two places per week. Then decide how you want to move between them, hire car, transfer, flight etc
It's all very easy to plan yourself, Costa Rica is set up for tourism and the TA forums will answer anything you aren't sure of. Have fun, I wish I could go back next year now
Thanks for the info Have been onto TA for some advice also.

My main reason in sloths! haha but would like to see a few different places but not too much moving. I am thinking La Fortuna for a few days, Cahuita for another few days and then also Tortugeuro I think. So im hoping that will have a mix of volcano, rain forest and beach
Old 9 Aug 16, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the info Have been onto TA for some advice also.

My main reason in sloths! haha but would like to see a few different places but not too much moving. I am thinking La Fortuna for a few days, Cahuita for another few days and then also Tortugeuro I think. So im hoping that will have a mix of volcano, rain forest and beach
That would be a good ' triangle ' , most likely to see sloths in Cahuita, we didn't see any in La Fortuna except for a couple in the tree tops when we were horse riding, nor in Tortuguero. If you went July/ August then it would be turtle season in Tortuguero
but it's also the rainy season and the Caribbean side should be drier than other parts of the country . July is actually the driest month of the rainy season , they often have what is called ' a little Summer ' in July and with low season prices it's a good time to go
Old 10 Jul 17, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

What a fantastic trip report! So interesting and entertaining, with some gorgeous photos. It's right up there with Mel's Canada trippie. Thanks so much for sharing it; I really enjoyed reading it.

I hope you do another for your South Africa trip. Have a brilliant time.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 06:01 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List