Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 10 Apr 17, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Poor you falling down the stairs. I'm dyspraxic (I think, never actually been diagnosed, but can't catch a ball or do anything involving balance!) I tend to judge foreign places by how friendly people are when I fall over - which tends to happen at some point. I've never fallen over in a Disney park yet though, obviously the pixie dust stabilises my gravity or something.

The book sale sounds fun, but what a shame about the refurb. Still, it looks like there was plenty to keep the chaps happy. And thank goodness you managed to sit down to watch the skating.

Mmmm ... cheese tray...
Ah, I knew you'd like this post, Gill - it's a cheesy one!

I am a fainter, so I feel your pain. One of my girlfriends tries to lessen my embarrassment by saying, "Try not to worry. You always fall gracefully." I hope the same is true for you!

And now that I think about it...I've never fainted at Disney World OR DLP. Maybe there's something to this theory of yours...

R.C. can't catch a ball either - and Poot took six weeks to learn to hold a pencil. So dyspraxic or not, you're in good company - at least as far as I'm concerned.

Aw.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 17, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Oh no, hope you didn't suffer too much after your fall.
Old 11 Apr 17, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by RachelM View Post
Oh no, hope you didn't suffer too much after your fall.
My pride was hurt worse than my knee - I'll never be one of those graceful women who glide across rooms. Sigh.

You have read a LOT tonight, RachelM. I salute you!
Old 12 Apr 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
My pride was hurt worse than my knee - I'll never be one of those graceful women who glide across rooms. Sigh.

You have read a LOT tonight, RachelM. I salute you!
ha ha ha. I never looked at anything else on here until I was finished. I am also trying to comment on every trip report I read now as I can only imagine the work that goes into one.
Old 12 Apr 17, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by RachelM View Post
ha ha ha. I never looked at anything else on here until I was finished. I am also trying to comment on every trip report I read now as I can only imagine the work that goes into one.

Truer words, my friend!

I see you go this summer - I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for YOUR trippie when you come back, right?
Old 24 Jun 17, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Sorry I'm a day late this week but I had supervisory duties at school prom last night so didn't get home until after midnight. Prom went well though no naughtiness and the kids seemed to be having a great time in the photo booth with the funny hats, wigs and glasses!

Anyway, excuses out the way, what a day for you...the bagels sound yummy, I really hope we can enjoy some of the best bagels in the world where we are in NYC!

The library looked beautiful and a book sale too.

What a shame about your fainting. It is embarassing. I occasionally have dizzy spells. The worst blacking out, in terms of my own embarrassment, was when I was visiting a neonatal intensive care unit Oh my it was hot in there and I could feel the wooziness and the spots coming in my vision but wasn't quick enough to find a chair. When I came round I was sooooo worried that I'd fallen on a baby crib and done some serious damage but apparently I just slid down the side of one. I felt like a total goon. But all the nurses were really nice and brought water and and a chair and I had to stay sitting in the room with 6 babies and the occasional nurse popping in and out for 30 minutes. I would have rather shuffled off somewhere but I know they were being kind and looking after me.

I'm glad Poot enjoyed following the freedom trail, his head in a cannon is a great photo! Yummy cheese board for dinner looked good too. I'm not surprised they had to share a dinner after that. He certainly has the trip writing skills, taking a photo of the menu is a dibb favourite, have you been training him?

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 17, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Sorry I'm a day late this week but I had supervisory duties at school prom last night so didn't get home until after midnight. Prom went well though no naughtiness and the kids seemed to be having a great time in the photo booth with the funny hats, wigs and glasses!

Anyway, excuses out the way, what a day for you...the bagels sound yummy, I really hope we can enjoy some of the best bagels in the world where we are in NYC!

The library looked beautiful and a book sale too.

What a shame about your fainting. It is embarassing. I occasionally have dizzy spells. The worst blacking out, in terms of my own embarrassment, was when I was visiting a neonatal intensive care unit Oh my it was hot in there and I could feel the wooziness and the spots coming in my vision but wasn't quick enough to find a chair. When I came round I was sooooo worried that I'd fallen on a baby crib and done some serious damage but apparently I just slid down the side of one. I felt like a total goon. But all the nurses were really nice and brought water and and a chair and I had to stay sitting in the room with 6 babies and the occasional nurse popping in and out for 30 minutes. I would have rather shuffled off somewhere but I know they were being kind and looking after me.

I'm glad Poot enjoyed following the freedom trail, his head in a cannon is a great photo! Yummy cheese board for dinner looked good too. I'm not surprised they had to share a dinner after that. He certainly has the trip writing skills, taking a photo of the menu is a dibb favourite, have you been training him?

I waited up for you Abby, but you never came. In the end I just cried myself to sleep.

Prom! Are your kids old enough for Prom?! I bet that was enormous fun - though I'll be honest, if my mother had ever chaperoned one of my school dances I wouldn't have gone!

Poor you - fainting in with the babies! I suppose if you're going to faint, a hospital's the place to do it - - but I think, like you, I would have preferred to slink off when the nurses' backs were turned. As for me, I am an occasional fainter - it used to just come on me out of the blue. When I was (heavily) pregnant with Poot, I fainted in a busy shopping mall - and all of a sudden there were like fifty people around me offering this, that and the other. I just wanted to disappear - and I felt like an upside-down tortoise - I just couldn't figure out a way to get up gracefully. A very plain-spoken older lady took advantage of that moment to point out that perhaps it was time that I stopped wearing high heels. Hmm...

I like the bagels in Montreal best - but the ones in New York are good, too. Where are you going to go? I'm excited to try the ones from Davidovich! I told Poot we'd hunt up some good lox, too - though I like MY bagels with just a schmear.

And...no. The menu snap is courtesy of the fine folks at Google Images. R.C. did NOT allow food photography!

Poot printed out his contributions to this trippie and made them into a book that he gave to R.C. for Father's Day. He must have read it all out to us ten times that day. He (like his mother) is a Hyper-J, and I think he enjoys reading about the holiday almost as much as the trip itself.

Sorry for all the emojis - what is WRONG with me?
Old 25 Jun 17, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
The prom was for school. I'm a teacher so I wasn't out gate crashing my children's prom, you're right that would be hideous for them. But I do think of the students I teach as my children. They all looked so cute in their finery, I hardly recognised some of them though as they looked so grown up.

High heels while pregnant? That is a recipe for disaster. When I was pregnant with DS who is nearly 13 I got a week by week pregnancy planning book from a charity shop (I think you would approve). The book was hilarious, it was published in the 70s and while the information about the growth each week of the baby was interesting, the advice for the pregnant mother was hilarious. It informed us that after the first trimester we should stop wearing trousers as they are not becoming for a pregnant body. In spite of the dodgy advice I read the book every week out loud to DH!

For bagels I'm copying something I read in moosha's trippie. We're going to walk over Brooklyn bridge, wander dumbo a bit, buy bagels and then have a picnic in the park looking back over to manhattan. It sounded so nice when I read it. She went to Montague Street Bagels. I hope we will be able to find it! I'm getting really excited now.

Oh and please don't spoil the process of trippie writing for me, it's like the magician just showed how the trick works now you say it of course it's a photo from the Internet of the menu. Oh dear, silly me!

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 17, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
The prom was for school. I'm a teacher so I wasn't out gate crashing my children's prom, you're right that would be hideous for them. But I do think of the students I teach as my children. They all looked so cute in their finery, I hardly recognised some of them though as they looked so grown up.

High heels while pregnant? That is a recipe for disaster. When I was pregnant with DS who is nearly 13 I got a week by week pregnancy planning book from a charity shop (I think you would approve). The book was hilarious, it was published in the 70s and while the information about the growth each week of the baby was interesting, the advice for the pregnant mother was hilarious. It informed us that after the first trimester we should stop wearing trousers as they are not becoming for a pregnant body. In spite of the dodgy advice I read the book every week out loud to DH!

For bagels I'm copying something I read in moosha's trippie. We're going to walk over Brooklyn bridge, wander dumbo a bit, buy bagels and then have a picnic in the park looking back over to manhattan. It sounded so nice when I read it. She went to Montague Street Bagels. I hope we will be able to find it! I'm getting really excited now.

Oh and please don't spoil the process of trippie writing for me, it's like the magician just showed how the trick works now you say it of course it's a photo from the Internet of the menu. Oh dear, silly me!

Did I know you were a teacher? Hmm...I remembered your patronus was a Tonkinese cat, though!

I bet that was SO GREAT then, chaperoning the Prom! I think right now is a hard time to be a young adult - hopefully that night was an enormous treat for all your kids. I was too punk rock to go to my Prom, sigh.

And hehe...that pregnancy book sounds like one my mother had in the '60s about "becoming a woman".

"You may wish to avoid trousers (and especially jeans) on your 'special days' - you'll definitely feel more comfortable in a loose and flowing skirt." I love that kind of stuff, too.

I read moosha's latest trippie, too (Has she finished it yet? I need to go and check...) - and took a few notes. Because I am a saddo - I want to go to the PENCIL SHOP she mentioned, and also take Poot over to the BB Park - I've been to NY a few times, but aside from visiting friends, I always seem to run out of time for Brooklyn.

...and by the way, how lovely and specific are moosha's trippies? I can't IMAGINE how long they take her!

I think your NY plan sounds great. You are going to have an amazing time (cough*whataboutaGOLDIAtrippie*cough).

And sorry about killing the mystery...

Old 25 Jun 17, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Moosha did finish the NYC trippie and has since started a new trippie for their recent Florida holiday which I'm following at the moment. It is very detailed, which I love, and they flew into Miami and were driving up to Orlando last I read. You should check it out she does write a great trippie. is that like telling Barbara Cartland that Danielle Steel writes a good book? you both do good trippies...

I don't tend to announce what I do as I'm very conscious of my privacy. I'm in a senior position at my school. I'm not on any social media at all and the dibb is the only forum I'm a member of. I like sharing my options but I don't like the idea of being identified and so I don't put any photos up and I think that would make for a very boring trippie so you won't see one from me anytime soon.

See ya real soon