Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 18 Aug 17, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I think we need to look into double decker trains here in the UK, far too many are overcrowded.

I agree on 'our job means we get to try and strip you of your dignity, because that makes us feel important', I think there's more than just a hint of this in immigration officers too. I think the museum sounds very interesting, a real shame that the visit was soured. Whatever happened to 'do unto others'!? Negativity is catching, your day/life must be so much harder when you go around spreading misery.

I gasped with excitement over cheese curds, then visibly deflated over them being cold. There's not much worse than cold fried cheese.

I make lovely roasted Brussel sprouts at Christmas; all the bacon and garlic butter makes them yummy.

I smiled at Poot's quoting of Franklin, he is some kid.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I hope you're having a lovely time with the Queen!

Edited at 06:15 PM.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I think Poot had the right idea sticking with his beret and saving the money for spending on books, he's got his priorities right as far as I'm concerned.

The cherry blossom, just beautiful shame you missed it, but that's just a reason to return isn't it?

I think you got a great photo of the monument through the columns. How long did that take to line up?

I really hope you had your 'I should not be allowed out of the institution on my own and if you find me contact this number IMMEDIATELY' socks on. I'm sorry you were upset by it and I understand it's heartbreaking when your feel let down and embarrassed in this way. What on earth were they looking for?

I like the quote Poot was thinking of sharing with the security lady.

One of my favourite quotes at the moment is a Teddy Roosevelt quote, so somewhat related as we're talking US presidents...Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. I really like it and shared it with a few people recently at a colleagues retirement. Many of us struggle with working (too) hard, but hopefully it is (was) important work.

And relax, back to normal now... I hope the next day is better than the last couple, it can't be worse, surely?

I'm trying to think of a worse food, Colette, but I'm struggling...oh I may have it... parsnips, bleurgh, you think you're getting a lovely crispy roast potato, but no it's a parsnip that has tricked it's way onto your plate in some sort of vindictive, horrid disguise. Yucky! :angry: please can Poot add them to the list when he makes President and starts banning stuff?

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 06:59 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Abby, you don't like parsnips!? I love them. We have them whenever we have roast chicken, not just at Christmas, they're my favourite part.

I am not great with veg My mum, for reasons only known to her, basically ran a restaurant at meal times, she just cooked whatever we wanted. Four different dishes EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! This has left me with the taste buds of a toddler, I still want to gag if something green passes my lips. I do try though, but I really, really hate peas.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hmm, I'm not sure if your mum should be sainted or shot? Saying that, my mum did a similar thing... I'm the eldest of 4 and one of my brothers only ate weetabix for breakfast, ham and white bread sandwiches for lunch, chicken and either roast potatoes or chips for dinner (he would eat crisps and chocolates and sweets, but they're not proper meals unless you're on holiday). I think he also ate bananas and cucumber but that was about it for years and years...well then when he was about 15 he got a girlfriend and we found out that he had eaten fish and some sort of vegetables for dinner at her house, oh my goodness we didn't let him forget that in a hurry, oh and mum stopped making him a special dinner...he still won't eat vegetables given a choice though...I ate his mushy peas when we went to the Isle of Wight over Easter, I seem to make a habit of eating mushy peas as a favour for people, I'll happily eat yours too!

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I think we need to look into double decker trains here in the UK, far too many are overcrowded.

I agree on 'our job means we get to try and strip you of your dignity, because that makes us feel important', I think there's more than just a hint of this in immigration officers too. I think the museum sounds very interesting, a real shame that the visit was soured. Whatever happened to 'do unto others'!? Negativity is catching, your day/life must be so much harder when you go around spreading misery.

I gasped with excitement over cheese curds, then visibly deflated over them being cold. There's not much worse than cold fried cheese.

I make lovely roasted Brussel sprouts at Christmas; all the bacon and garlic butter makes them yummy.

I smiled at Poot's quoting of Franklin, he is some kid.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I hope you're having a lovely time with the Queen!
Hmm...it was a bit up and down with The Queen and Luminous Balls - I think that the brutal truth is that my mother is finding Poot a bit less appealing now that he's older. My brother has two tiny children - and I think they are now the apple(s) of her eyes. And that was pretty clear to Poot - which was a bit of a short, sharp shock. Just one of those things, I suppose.

Lots of baseball/football/eclipse/state fair fun was had, though. And we had two good visits with an old friend and her son - they were great.

Back to the trippie...

I TOTALLY wish we had double-deckers on the Potters Bar trains! A seat is near impossible to find unless you want to go up to London at 4:00 AM.

I realise that most people just sort of "turn off" at security/immigration...so many thanks for your remarks. I need to work on my humility and self-control, I fear...

Having said that, we had two LOVELY immigration officers on this most recent trip to America. The chap at Boston was positively JOLLY, and - for the first time EVER - we had a lady officer at Gatwick who...SMILED! Both of them even stamped Poot's (fake) passport for his imaginary country (Sylvania).

I have TRIED with the brussels sprouts...but they just do not agree with me. Let's leave it there. R.C. loves them, though - and I do ALWAYS make some for Christmas dinner. What a good wife I am.

Poot's here with me now - he thanks you for the compliment!

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I think Poot had the right idea sticking with his beret and saving the money for spending on books, he's got his priorities right as far as I'm concerned.

The cherry blossom, just beautiful shame you missed it, but that's just a reason to return isn't it?

I think you got a great photo of the monument through the columns. How long did that take to line up?

I really hope you had your 'I should not be allowed out of the institution on my own and if you find me contact this number IMMEDIATELY' socks on. I'm sorry you were upset by it and I understand it's heartbreaking when your feel let down and embarrassed in this way. What on earth were they looking for?

I like the quote Poot was thinking of sharing with the security lady.

One of my favourite quotes at the moment is a Teddy Roosevelt quote, so somewhat related as we're talking US presidents...Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing. I really like it and shared it with a few people recently at a colleagues retirement. Many of us struggle with working (too) hard, but hopefully it is (was) important work.

And relax, back to normal now... I hope the next day is better than the last couple, it can't be worse, surely?

I'm trying to think of a worse food, Colette, but I'm struggling...oh I may have it... parsnips, bleurgh, you think you're getting a lovely crispy roast potato, but no it's a parsnip that has tricked it's way onto your plate in some sort of vindictive, horrid disguise. Yucky! :angry: please can Poot add them to the list when he makes President and starts banning stuff?
I've had TWO compliments on my photos this week. I think that makes a lifetime total of...two.

I just sort of noticed the Monument through the columns and thought...aha! Arty photo! So pleased you thought it worked.

LAUGHED OUT LOUD at the mental institution socks. Perhaps by now you know me well enough to understand that I would TOTALLY do that. In fact, I spent a few minutes last night thinking about just how it could be done...

TR is the favourite historical figure of my maternal uncle - though I must confess that nowadays when I think of him I first think of Robin Williams and the "Night at the Museum" films. Oh, dear.

Teaching must be a vocation for you (and your colleague). Would that it were so for all teachers. And would that said teachers (for this, see also: policemen, firemen, soldiers, etc...) were paid more than SOCCER PLAYERS, sigh.

I am with you completely on the parsnips, too. You see one and think, "Ooh, a lovely bit of spud!" - but then...it's all sweet and wrong-tasting.

Funny, I never think of myself as finicky with food - it's only when I actually take the time to write things down that I realise how many things I don't like.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Abby, you don't like parsnips!? I love them. We have them whenever we have roast chicken, not just at Christmas, they're my favourite part.

I am not great with veg My mum, for reasons only known to her, basically ran a restaurant at meal times, she just cooked whatever we wanted. Four different dishes EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! This has left me with the taste buds of a toddler, I still want to gag if something green passes my lips. I do try though, but I really, really hate peas.
I have an in-law like that. She used to make three different dinners every night. Now her kids are grown - and she just has tea and toast for dinner. I don't blame her one bit. Your poor mother!

I love peas (though I can't manage mushy peas...I think it's the texture). Even as a kid I never minded them, as their pleasing roundness meant they could be swallowed whole.

Hmm, I'm not sure if your mum should be sainted or shot? Saying that, my mum did a similar thing... I'm the eldest of 4 and one of my brothers only ate weetabix for breakfast, ham and white bread sandwiches for lunch, chicken and either roast potatoes or chips for dinner (he would eat crisps and chocolates and sweets, but they're not proper meals unless you're on holiday). I think he also ate bananas and cucumber but that was about it for years and years...well then when he was about 15 he got a girlfriend and we found out that he had eaten fish and some sort of vegetables for dinner at her house, oh my goodness we didn't let him forget that in a hurry, oh and mum stopped making him a special dinner...he still won't eat vegetables given a choice though...I ate his mushy peas when we went to the Isle of Wight over Easter, I seem to make a habit of eating mushy peas as a favour for people, I'll happily eat yours too!
Nooooo! Mushy peas!

I think that one goes on the list with Marmite and root beer - you have to grow up with it.

I can't believe that your mother was a dinner martyr, too! I'm sure you can guess what MINE would have said...as it's just what I say now...

...always two choices in my kitchen: take it - or leave it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
It is utterly ridiculous how much I have missed these conversations while you've been away!

I always thought I was fairly tolerant when it came to food and definitely not a faddy eater, but I have discovered over the course of these conversations that perhaps I am not. We best not get started on all that nonsense as soon someone will mention pineapple on pizza or carrot in a cake and then we will be back down the rabbit hole once again.

Oh and I think I may need a pair of socks for myself that scowl and say I do not approve, humph, the Queen has favourites, tut tut...obviously little ones are adorable and often are more demanding and therefore require more attention, but I say again, humph.

Old 10 Sep 17, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post

It is utterly ridiculous how much I have missed these conversations while you've been away!

I always thought I was fairly tolerant when it came to food and definitely not a faddy eater, but I have discovered over the course of these conversations that perhaps I am not. We best not get started on all that nonsense as soon someone will mention pineapple on pizza or carrot in a cake and then we will be back down the rabbit hole once again.

Oh and I think I may need a pair of socks for myself that scowl and say I do not approve, humph, the Queen has favourites, tut tut...obviously little ones are adorable and often are more demanding and therefore require more attention, but I say again, humph.
My mother makes no bones about preferring little ones. But (and I'm not sure why) it never occurred to me to...prepare (is that the right word?) Poot for the possibility that he would be (in Grandma-World)...past it.

I think the other aspect of the whole situation is only natural. My brother lives twenty minutes from my mother. We do not. She watches his kids for him all the time so that he and his wife can go out. So OBVIOUSLY, she knows my nephews WAY BETTER than she knows Poot.

AND...Poot is getting to the age where he is starting to have opinions on politics and the world around him - it was difficult for him to understand why Grandma got so upset (real tears!) when he disagreed with her.

We talk politics/ethics/etc...every day chez Gopher - but nobody cries.

Ah, well.

And NOT RIDICULOUS at all. Need I remind you I Dibbed with you and Colette from the Acute Medical Unit at the Lister Hospital after my tap(s)?

I have been naughty, and replied to this post "out of order". I need to go back to the ones from August now...
Old 10 Sep 17, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
I suspect I would be entering dangerous territory here if I were to comment further upon your mother. I think maybe that would be overstepping a boundary, a bit like when we are allowed to moan about the weather being awful, but if a non native makes disparaging remarks we suddenly become defensive...

So moving on to politics, let's have a heated debate and tackle a much less controversial topic...tee hee tee hee... at least I think I'm funny!

I know what you mean though, we love a heated debate, why on earth would anyone take it personally? It wouldn't be at all interesting if we agreed with everything each other said. I quite like the argument of it, it doesn't have to be rude or nasty. I truly hope if I have only instilled one thing into my children then it is tolerance of others voices. I LOVE hearing different views and ideas, it doesn't matter to me whether I agree or not, in fact it's probably more interesting when I don't agree. Asking questions and probing the idea helps me to understand the person a little better.

Old 11 Sep 17, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post

I suspect I would be entering dangerous territory here if I were to comment further upon your mother. I think maybe that would be overstepping a boundary, a bit like when we are allowed to moan about the weather being awful, but if a non native makes disparaging remarks we suddenly become defensive...

So moving on to politics, let's have a heated debate and tackle a much less controversial topic...tee hee tee hee... at least I think I'm funny!

I know what you mean though, we love a heated debate, why on earth would anyone take it personally? It wouldn't be at all interesting if we agreed with everything each other said. I quite like the argument of it, it doesn't have to be rude or nasty. I truly hope if I have only instilled one thing into my children then it is tolerance of others voices. I LOVE hearing different views and ideas, it doesn't matter to me whether I agree or not, in fact it's probably more interesting when I don't agree. Asking questions and probing the idea helps me to understand the person a little better.

Discretion IS the better part of valour, my friend.

It's a tricky one. Not to go all Myers-Briggs again, but what I tried to explain to Poot was that Grandma processes everything through her emotions - and that we need to remember that when we talk about "challenging" topics. Otherwise (as I know I wrote about once before on the Dibb) we end up in the situation we had one Christmas Eve - where The Queen told R.C. that if she saw the world like he did - she'd kill herself.

Happy Christmas!

I think reasoned debate is something that seems to be disappearing in the West. A constructive argument can advance a debate. And an advanced debate can lead (sometimes) to consensus. Instead today we seem to have regressed into a sort of ethical/political "trench warfare". And we all know how well that turned out the first time.

Enough of this! Let's talk more about Dragon Sock Puppets over in YOUR thread!
Old 8 Dec 17, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

Hurrah for hot cheese curds and booooo to horrid security staff.

I understand it might not be the most fulfilling job in the world, but there is no excuse to be rude to people. One thing I have found with security staff is sometimes they give you orders/tell you to do something and just assume that you know what they are talking about. They then shout at you for having your ticket in a plastic wallet or for walking towards them before they beckon you and it's not fair as how are you supposed to know?!

We had a lovely TSA guy on our trip to Washington 2 years ago, who ushered us through together and was quite gobsmacked that we ad come to Washington for the weekend as he claimed there was nothing to see/do there and he was advising us to hop on the train to NYC!

Poor Poot, ageing out of The Queen's favour. Odd too, as I much prefer children when they are older and you can have a good chat with them They are much more interesting when you can talk with them. Plus, I imagine Poot is super interesting to chat too, so much better then some toddlers.

I love the memorials in DC, and your photos of the Jefferson are wonderful. I also really liked the Lincoln, and the war memorials all lit up.

Shame it was a bit of a grumpy miserable day, but Poot seems to still have had a good time, and you did manage to get a few more sights seen.

Also... Kermit was at the Smithsonian 2 years ago, and I would choose him over Elmo any day

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List