Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 3 Sep 19, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
howerd
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Hi Howerd.

Boardwalk is our favourite resort full stop. We like walking, we like SSR (just waiting for the room refurb, then I'm booked), OKW and VGF will be more attractive when that path is in. Wilderness Lodge was perfect with the trails, but they are now all removed- if they do not come back that resort we will not stay in. But the Boardwalk it's the best, walk to two parks, the Swan and Dolphin the Golf, even the Speedway Garage. But walking around the lake, love it.

Now, if you want a standard room, ask for one far from lobby, opposite bus stop or tennis court. This is a fantastic location, if you don't mind a bit further walk to the lobby, for the following reasons:

1. Very good view for standard, a nice big pond. No outside noise at all. Driveway and parking too far away to bother you.

2. Stairway near the back corner, brings you out on the path to HWS- these rooms are the closest to HWS in the whole of WDW.

3. (Your question, thanks for sticking with me I did get there eventually ) there is another stairwell not far from the rooms. Go down here and it brings you out of a door, which is opposite the bus stop and car park. In other words closer to the car park than the front entrance.

4. There is yet another stairwell that brings you out at the gym and pool.

Ask me what my number 1 room is on property that I've had so far, it is definitely a standard view Boardwalk, opposite tennis court, high floor. It is perfect, and amazing points value.

If BWV had longer on it, I'd have bought there for the standard rooms.
Thanks for this YT. I have just looked at the room locations and see the path that you mean. That makes it a lot more reasonable I think. The ability to walk to 2 parks is hugely appealing. Looking at the room views can you even (just) see HWS fireworks?

I think we are definitely tempted by this for next year. Thanks again
howerd is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by howerd View Post
Thanks for this YT. I have just looked at the room locations and see the path that you mean. That makes it a lot more reasonable I think. The ability to walk to 2 parks is hugely appealing. Looking at the room views can you even (just) see HWS fireworks?

I think we are definitely tempted by this for next year. Thanks again
You may just about see a flash of fireworks or the odd bit, but difficult.

This video shows the exact view on the day:

Old 3 Sep 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We also like boardwalk standard view. And rarely go through the lobby. Usually out st the corner straight across the road to the bus stop or car park.

Or we walk to Hollywood or Epcot.

There are loads of stairwells which let you leave by the pool or the path to the parks. Or near the Swan / Dolphin.
If we get the boat back we usually get off at swan / Dolphin as it’s closer to our room than the boardwalk stop.

We had ground floor this year. The view was just grass but it was very convenient.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

This is the best fireworks view we have had. We have had other rooms where we couldn’t see any. It’s not guaranteed with a standard view.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
howerd
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks Bev, looks a good view for a standard view. we always request ground floor at SSR due to the convenience with a buggy etc. Unless there is a room with a particular view that means a higher floor is better (BLT tpv), I think the convenience always wins the day! Final question. If that’s ok- Does the HWS path join up with the Car Park as well, or is it just the path to the main bridge? Thanks again
howerd is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by howerd View Post
Thanks Bev, looks a good view for a standard view. we always request ground floor at SSR due to the convenience with a buggy etc. Unless there is a room with a particular view that means a higher floor is better (BLT tpv), I think the convenience always wins the day! Final question. If that’s ok- Does the HWS path join up with the Car Park as well, or is it just the path to the main bridge? Thanks again
The HWS path is behind the hotel, the car park at the front, but the employee car park does run adjacent to the path. Most people would go through the hotel to get to the car park from the path, but the path at the start of BW (at the door we talked about that leads to the value rooms), there is a little road next to it you cross, where golf carts go up and down. If you turn right on that, it does lead to the employee car park, and you can walk along that, and cross the driveway into the main car park.
Old 4 Sep 19, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Erial
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I totally agree with you about SSR. We’re at the end of a split stay.

We spent our first 6 nights at SSR our home resort (first DVC stay since becoming members last year). On check in we asked to be near a pool and we were perfectly placed near the Paddock Pool. We loved the convenience of being close to our car and the bus stop. We also liked the convenience of being able to ‘escape’ Disney via the alternative entrance and quickly get to the Crossroads and the 535 area when we wanted to eat offsite. CMs we’re always helpful and cheerful.

After 6 days we moved to Grand Floridian Villas. It was ‘nice’ but we felt it lacked the convenience to SSR. We barely used our refillable cups as it was a faff to walk to the pool (where the bar closed a lot earlier than SSR). The night there was a bad storm and the monorail was down we had to catch a boat and got totally drenched doing the long walk from the boat dock to the villas. And we always felt they were watching us when taking our Walmart carrier bags of drinks and snacks to our room! Lol!

Our final 2 nights were booked as a lake view at Boardwalk Villas. Again, nice enough (great view of Illuminations) but boy what a walk from the car park to the far end of the corridor (being on the 5th floor meant the stairs were out at the end of a long park day). However, we booked the 2 nights here so that we could walk to Epcot for the food and wine festival and that worked perfectly.

As it turned out we’ve ended up at the Boardwalk Villas for an extra 5 nights due to the hurricane and so we’re here now until Thursday. We couldn’t stay in our original room so when they moved us I asked to be closer to the elevators. Because our park tickets expired at the end of our original 14 days we’ve really had chance to explore the resort and it is lovely - and feels very safe at the moment.

However, I’m more than happy that SSR is our home and next time will be more than happy to do the full 2 weeks there.

Claire
X

2005 - Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa * 2011 - Wyndham LBV Resort * 2013 - Sheraton Vistana Resort LBV - Trip Report - Complete * 2014 - Kissimmee Villa - Trip Report - Complete * 2015 - Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - New York - Trip Report - Complete * 2016 - Massachusetts Road Trip - Trip Report - Complete * 2017 - Florida Road Trip & Old Key West * 2018 - Florida Road Trip & Polynesian * 2019 - SSR, Grand Floridian & Boardwalk
Erial is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 01:46 AM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

We stayed at ssr for first time last year having never liked the look of it on visiting, and loved it!.Really enjoyed walking to springs and the whole feel of resort,we love okw too.Stayed at BLT yesterday, loved the location and our 2 bed theme park view was stunning,will stay again on future when mk is pur focus
nadya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 05:55 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

SSR will get a ton of love when it’s refurb is done, particularly the 1 beds with the 5 sleep surfaces. The quality of the refurb looks a step up from the ones they have done at Boardwalk, OKW etc, even though I like those. Many people will be surprised at just how nice those SSR rooms will be.
All it then needs is a main building refurb- new proper bar, Turf Club total renovation, and try to get rid of that internal brick which still looks too much like Disney Institute.
Then the real cherry on the cake would be an outside restaurant / bar, a Victorian themed one, but along the set up they did at Copper Creek.
Do all this and suddenly you have a resort people are very keen to stay at.
And if this gondola is a success, I predict we will see it expanded to Disney Springs/ SSR as they’ll want to funnel people to retail. Then SSR will be not reliant on busses.