Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Sep 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Sad to say trying to do soundproofing in an existing room is a waste of money. In a new build e.g. an extension it can be done though.

Earplugs or background noise is the best way forward.
i agree completely.

a friend of mine recently had an extension built for his music studio a couple of years ago. soundproofing it whilst it was being built cost him ~£50 per square metre (the whole room needed it including floor and ceiling, not just the external wall) - plus then youve got the actual builders labour costs on top (which were included as part of the extension build rather than specific soundproofing work

i would think that having it done to an existing structure would be a fair amount more, plus youve got all the hassle of trying to retrofit stuff. soundproofing is only ever as good as the weakest point, so if youve got a window on another side of the house that isnt triple-glazed, then chances are itll come through there.

seriously, i think youre going to have to get used to wearing earplugs. assuming nothing can be done through the council/noise pollution laws after youve kept a diary and taken noise level readings...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

As Mr Morrow said trying to soundproof a room / wall won't help. Airbourne sound is far harder to eliminate than impact sound. Even with top spec Upvc windows and Rockwool insulation within studs to create a barrier you will still hear it unfortunately. Its crazy that the local council can't intervene, but if the hound has food and shelter it seems anything else is irrelevant
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
THOscar
Apprentice Imagineer

Report it to local council Environmental Health department. It's a long process but they will investigate noise complaints and deal with neighbour if necessary.
THOscar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I have spoke to the neighbours, they basically don’t care. I have requested the forms to make a formal complaint via our council but the forms have to be signed and will be used in court if the it goes that far.
I know 100% they will take zero notice of a letter/warning from the council so it would go to court. But do I really want the hassle of that hanging over my head and have to live on the same street afterwards.
I am worried about backlash, they are rather known for fighting etc that’s why no other neighbours will confront them regarding the dog.
We are having our bedroom done anyway and need new windows so we will go with triple glazed windows.
Dogs can live 15 years, I will be a wreck by then with the noise! If it’s nice and we want to open a window it’s incredibly loud.
They are so selfish, they just go off to work (shifts) and the dog is at it for hours on end. They don’t care.
As for ear plugs, I have tiny ear holes and sensitive ears (I am actually partially deaf but it’s certain tones that don’t include this dogs high pitched screech unfortunately) I can wear apple ear phones as they don’t fit in my ears, I can only wear something over my ears if that makes sense.
😢
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
I have spoke to the neighbours, they basically don’t care. I have requested the forms to make a formal complaint via our council but the forms have to be signed and will be used in court if the it goes that far.
I know 100% they will take zero notice of a letter/warning from the council so it would go to court. But do I really want the hassle of that hanging over my head and have to live on the same street afterwards.
I am worried about backlash, they are rather known for fighting etc that’s why no other neighbours will confront them regarding the dog.
We are having our bedroom done anyway and need new windows so we will go with triple glazed windows.
Dogs can live 15 years, I will be a wreck by then with the noise! If it’s nice and we want to open a window it’s incredibly loud.
They are so selfish, they just go off to work (shifts) and the dog is at it for hours on end. They don’t care.
As for ear plugs, I have tiny ear holes and sensitive ears (I am actually partially deaf but it’s certain tones that don’t include this dogs high pitched screech unfortunately) I can wear apple ear phones as they don’t fit in my ears, I can only wear something over my ears if that makes sense.
😢
I actually have small ears too so I use the children’s size of Macks wax ear plugs.
Maybe just give them a go, you can get them on eBay for about £3 , they’re bright orange in a blue box .
Worth a try ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

We have a similar situation with our neighbour. She has two barking dogs and has no control over them. Lets them out at stupid times of the night or early in the morning without any thought to the folk around her. Tried the local authorities but they are useless. I did think of buying some airhorns to retaliate with but thought better of it
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List