Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Sep 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by wdwlife View Post
Hi all,

I work within a government agency essentially and it's getting closer to my contract running out with no or very little signs of getting extended. (8 weeks)

The past few weeks as the last day looms I've found myself totally demotivated to the point where today I emailed in saying I have job interviews today so I just won't be there sorry.

I'm finding it extremely difficult to get up in the morning to go to work, it's over an hours drive there and back and about 80-90 miles driving a day. My thought process is they've yet to show me any sign of commitment so why should I when I'd be better at home one or two days a week applying for jobs instead of sitting in the office getting pulled up for being on Indeed all day anyway.

I like my current job, I don't love it and I'd certainly take the contract extension should it transpire but in my head it's only because I have nothing else.

Just not sure what to do to be honest, I hate the thought of people whispering about me in work thinking am lazy or work shy which absolutely isn't the case, but the past month I'd say I've worked from home a bit more than I should've and I've never been pulled for the quality of my work or the time it takes me to do it.

Just so frustrated at the moment, and with Florida in November the stress is really getting to me now.
Sorry I’m a bit confused. Are they still paying you to be at work right now in which case surely you should be there? The end of a contract or renewal has no bearing on this. Or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick?
Old 17 Sep 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Surely you are being paid to do a job not search job sites looking for a new one?
I’d be doing my job during the day and looking for a new one in the evenings.
Old 17 Sep 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

You sound thoroughly depressed to me which isn't helping you think straight.
Old 17 Sep 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
To be candid, I think you need to snap out of it. You are on a contract, with an end time agreed by both parties. There is no reason why they should show you any commitment beyond the agreed contract. This is a business arrangement.

My DH contracts and he would not dream of not giving his all until the very last day. Your actions are probably counter productive in achieving a longer term position, which seems to be what you would like.
Have you asked about new contracts? The job I have was a temporary 12 month contract. One of the girls already there left when her contract was up n she was totally disheartened with them as they never mentioned a new contract. I was like a dog with a bone - in particular when a girl who started after me suddenly got a permanent contract. I made it known I was upset by this and my manager approached me and said she hadn’t realised I wanted a permanent contact and then did everything in her power to get me permanent.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Laughing Minnie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

It is really difficult when you get disheartened at work. As others have said, could you set up a meeting with your line manager? The accountability ladder is a really good tool for seeing how you feel about a situation and changing your mindset. Think about the things you can do in the situation - acknowledge reality, own it, find solutions and make it happen. You have already started to look for other opportunities, which is great, but it would also be worth thinking about aspects of the job you enjoy and concentrate on those. Good luck.
Laughing Minnie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I’m not sure which dept of the CS you work in , but many teams are overrun with EUexit work and if your team is one of them , they simply may not be able to offer you anything at the present time but May be waiting to see how it pans out.
It would be best to sit down with your manager ( you must be having regular check ins)
Say exactly how you feel and clear up your questions.
I am a long time CS employee and managers talk to each other privately all the time .. your attitude may have been discussed already and if you are using a CS laptop or Pc it will be clear when you are on line doing your job and your IT dept will be able to see what your input is if your manager asks for it .

Edited at 07:53 PM.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

The problem as I see it for the OP is that there is little prospect of any extension. Being pulled up on being in job sites all day, short notice leave for job interviews, the sense of people whispering about their performance (if you think people are more often than not they are). I doubt many employers would look at performance/discipline when they can just walk away from the contract in 2 months
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wdwlife View Post
I pay £600 a month in tax and NI, if I want to take a day to attend an interview I will in the hope I'm not unemployed at Christmas.

Thanks for your input.
Strange response. What has that got to do with anything? We all pay tax and ni.

I don't usually post on here my thoughts but your attitude is astounding. You're posting that you've taken a day off your work so you can apply for jobs. Surely you should be doing this in your own time. I hope you're not getting paid for it.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I got made redundant a couple of years ago, my contract stated I had to work a notice period of 3 months, which meant I would be one of the last to leave (company had been taken over and old staff were tuped over, so others didn't have this notice period) - then we got a 6 month extension, got closer and closer to the end of this and still no word if it would be extended again, then in the very last few days found out 8 were being kept and I was not one of them. Getting motivated to go in and work was hard, big part of me thought sod them - but then I though I am better than this, I went in every single day and I worked hard, I felt so much better for it
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
Have you asked about new contracts? The job I have was a temporary 12 month contract. One of the girls already there left when her contract was up n she was totally disheartened with them as they never mentioned a new contract. I was like a dog with a bone - in particular when a girl who started after me suddenly got a permanent contract. I made it known I was upset by this and my manager approached me and said she hadn’t realised I wanted a permanent contact and then did everything in her power to get me permanent.
Not sure why you are quoting me. No I have not asked about new contracts as this is not my situation.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List