Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Nov 17, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

United Booking. Aer L carrier.Baggage fees?

Hi

I am sooooo confused!

I have booked 2 return tickets to USA from Dublin with United.
The first ticket for DS, paid cash is a multi trip ticket
and the other is an 'open jaw' ticket but booked as 2 separate segments through mileage plus.In other words , 2 united award flight tickets.

Now my problem is this:
Normally United do not apply baggage fees to international flights for your 1st checked bag, so I assume I am not liable for any baggage fees on my 2 award tickets. My DS has no charges for his flights booked cash.

HOWEVER, the Carrier is AER LINGUS BUT the flight was booked on the United website.

Aer Lingus DO APPLY baggage fees for 1st bag on international flights IF you book their economy saver.
I booked via United and they don't have economy saver tickets. Just economy.

Adding fees for international bags with 2 segments can be quite expensive and I just cannot seem to get a straight answer from either carrier.

Does anyone else have experience of this?
I know some of you in the past have booked AL flights via the united website.

Whats the 'rule of thumb' if travelling with a different carrier. AND
where do I check in? Aer Lingus or United?

Thanks so much

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
So I have booked twice thru United but AL flights incl this yr. We have always had a 23Kg allowance per seat!

You check in at the airport at the AL check in.

Edited at 11:37 PM.
Ciano is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Thanks Ciano.

Any flight i booked in the past with AL to orlando included baggage fees -1st item BUT I noticed on their website there seemed to be a change of policy and now 2 economy options appear on aer lingus website.
The cheapest one does NOT include bags fees and thats why I am worried.

United booking says I have to wait to check-in before i can get seats or check luggage. Looks like I cannot do online because its codeshare or interline?

Baggage inf on my ticket a bit confusing too.It appears to say no fees BUT when I click into 'seats' on ticket, a message comes up saying additional fees may apply for bags and seats will be allocated at check-in.

I'll just have to wait and see and keep my fingers crossed!

DS is 21 the day we fly and I was hoping to make a special request ie some bubbly and chocs for him.Not sure how to do that now if united booking and AL operation!

I think I may have to call them both!

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Ciano
Imagineer

Ciano's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes call AL customer service. When I book with United I get a booking ref from United. When I view that online I can then see a booking ref for AL. I then ring AL quote them my ref and request my seats and a kids meal. I do a dummy booking for my dates on AL site so I can see seat availability b4 I ring them.
That new "saver" fare was only introduced a few months ago.
I think u will get the answers u need from AL customer services. I have always found them v helpful.
Old 23 Nov 17, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Thanks Ciano.
Thats very helpful.
Will sort it out this weekend.

regards
Lesley