Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Old 18 Nov 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile Planning a fully hotel based wedding

Hello all, so I got engaged on Friday evening, and i’m very excited.
I’m not religious at all, and so i’m hoping to have my whole wedding in a hotel, a hotel ceremony, followed by a day do for 50, and and a slightly bigger evening do.
We’re paying for the whole thing ourselves, and so will be on a budget so will be able to cut out cars and the like.
Has anyone who has done this got any hints and tips?
Especially interested in what you added to your ceremony to bulk it out a bit in a non religious way, music, readings etc etc, what did you walk up the aisle to?
Also really interested in your day timings, how did it all work?
Hoping to visit our favourite hotel this week, and would like to get some inspiration as i’m terribly ungirly.
Any other hints and tips to have a nice wedding without spending the earth.
Thanks in advance xx
Old 18 Nov 18, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Hello all, so I got engaged on Friday evening, and i’m very excited.
I’m not religious at all, and so i’m hoping to have my whole wedding in a hotel, a hotel ceremony, followed by a day do for 50, and and a slightly bigger evening do.
We’re paying for the whole thing ourselves, and so will be on a budget so will be able to cut out cars and the like.
Has anyone who has done this got any hints and tips?
Especially interested in what you added to your ceremony to bulk it out a bit in a non religious way, music, readings etc etc, what did you walk up the aisle to?
Also really interested in your day timings, how did it all work?
Hoping to visit our favourite hotel this week, and would like to get some inspiration as i’m terribly ungirly.
Any other hints and tips to have a nice wedding without spending the earth.
Thanks in advance xx
Congratulations! We are getting married in May 2020. So far we’ve not paid full price for anything! We’ve booked far in advance so have had discounts, people at wedding fairs give out discounts sometimes .

I’m not a girly girl either, my friend is doing our make up and I am splashing out on a hairdresser because I am most concerned about my hair on the day haha.

A week day will save you money - we saved £5k by not getting married on a Saturday! We aren’t getting married in a hotel, but we are getting married in a all in one venue so me and the bridesmaids are staying the night before then loads of guests staying the night of the wedding.

We do need Cars for the groom and groomsmen
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
Congratulations! We are getting married in May 2020. So far we’ve not paid full price for anything! We’ve booked far in advance so have had discounts, people at wedding fairs give out discounts sometimes .

I’m not a girly girl either, my friend is doing our make up and I am splashing out on a hairdresser because I am most concerned about my hair on the day haha.

A week day will save you money - we saved £5k by not getting married on a Saturday! We aren’t getting married in a hotel, but we are getting married in a all in one venue so me and the bridesmaids are staying the night before then loads of guests staying the night of the wedding.

We do need Cars for the groom and groomsmen
I’ll make my groom and best man drive themselves 😂 I like the idea of staying over the night before with my bridesmaid though. That’s a lovely idea.

We’re defo going to have it next year, and so I won’t have lots of advance booking anything, in actual fact we’ll be having what’s available I think 😂

All a bit scary
Old 18 Nov 18, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Congratulations! I’m getting married in June 2020.

A lot of hotels will do discounts / packages. Have a look around some local hotels but also chains. And I echo visiting wedding fairs (or even looking for Black Friday deals for example) avoiding the “wedding season” I.e summer and weekends will save you money.

We’re having our wedding on a farm so a bit different but we’re having a celebrant so not religious but also not legal (yet!) so can personalise the ceremony exactly to what we want. You have to be careful if you have a legal ceremony to have no religious words in any readings or songs. This goes as far as to (for example) not being able to have Angels by Robbie Williams as Angels is a religious word. So be aware of that.

Otherwise i’d really recommend joining some wedding Facebook groups. I’m on The Emboldened Bride on Facebook, it’s run by a wedding planner and everyone is so friendly and shares really helpful tips!

Good luck! I am loving planning!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post

A lot of hotels will do discounts / packages. Have a look around some local hotels but also chains. And I echo visiting wedding fairs (or even looking for Black Friday deals for example) avoiding the “wedding season” I.e summer and weekends will save you money.

We’re having our wedding on a farm so a bit different but we’re having a celebrant so not religious but also not legal (yet!) so can personalise the ceremony exactly to what we want. You have to be careful if you have a legal ceremony to have no religious words in any readings or songs. This goes as far as to (for example) not being able to have Angels by Robbie Williams as Angels is a religious word. So be aware of that.

Otherwise i’d really recommend joining some wedding Facebook groups. I’m on The Emboldened Bride on Facebook, it’s run by a wedding planner and everyone is so friendly and shares really helpful tips!

Yeah I second that about the non religious stuff at a civil ceremony - We're not having a religious ceremony either so we have to make sure we listen to absolutely everything properly otherwise they won't allow it. Which seems a bit ridiculous but I understand why!

If there is a particular supplier you want and they have your date available - book them ASAP. We booked our wedding in April 2018 for May 2020 and we got the last Thursday between May - September in the whole of 2020. We also got turned down by a Videographer in June because they were already booked up and it's a Thursday!

We also got 20 extra people for the evening because I didn't like the look of the number she wrote down She knew we were going to go for it, but then when I saw the total cost to the venue my face must have shown how I was feeling about it! We asked her to check other Thursdays July - September (we had just asked about May/June first) and when she came back down she offered us 20 evening guests for free, a discount on the sweet cart (we have to use their catering suppliers for everything) and the option to add on/remove accommodation from our booking at it's current price as much as we liked - so we took it
The 20 free guests and the sweet cart discount saved us £500

I've also said no to suppliers because they were a couple of hundred over our budget - and I don't want to go over anymore than we already are! (Our budget has nearly doubled!) All of them changed the price to within budget for us
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post

How much have you planned? I love that there's a few of us getting married here! Are you getting married in the UK? Everyone in the wedding forum seems to be getting married in Florida.
Old 18 Nov 18, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Congratulations
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
JamesL
VIP Dibber

JamesL's Reviews
Hi

Jamesl's DW here - we got married in a hotel 20 years ago (almost). It was absolutely fantastic and worked really well.

My top tip would be to get married a little later in that day - we went for 3pm because there is no need to travel between the church and the venue so you don't need too much hanging around between the afternoon and evening reception.

We selected a couple of readings for during the ceremony but they did have to be non-religious and the Registrar wanted to see them before hand to approve. We paid for a pianist to play the entry and exit music and we had a singer during the service. All of that was to make the ceremony a little longer because it can be a rather functional 10 mins otherwise! Our readings were done by DH's sister and my best friend. Our registrar was really lovely and insisted we didn't sign the register during the singer but sat and listened to her. Again, all our music had to be approved for use during the ceremony / whilst the registrar was in the room.

Hope you have a fabulous day!
Old 18 Nov 18, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
How much have you planned? I love that there's a few of us getting married here! Are you getting married in the UK? Everyone in the wedding forum seems to be getting married in Florida.
I am getting married in the U.K. I haven’t really posted anything in the wedding forum here as it is mainly Florida focused (understandably!) i’d recommend that Facebook group I posted! It’s so helpful!

I’ve actually planned a lot. Like you I’ve found suppliers were getting booked up! We’ve booked the venue (catering is provided by the venue), photographer, celebrant, hair and make up. Next year I’m going to sort the florist and cake and go looking for my dress! I feel like most things are sorted really! How about you?
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Congrats!

We got married in a hotel in the Lake District nearly 3 years ago.

We made it a weekend affair. We arrived on Friday and had informal supper and most of our guests arrived Friday night as well, then we had the ceremony on Sat early afternoon - so we left our guests to go walking, or please themselves sat morning.
We had 2 short readings and the standard ceremony, then canapes/drinks/photos etc and served our wedding breakfast at around 4pm (I think).
After a relaxed meal we had bar and then a salsa/rueda lesson. Then more bar time and log fires/relaxing etc. We also had a cheese wedding cake and a fruit wedding cake - so later on, people could have cheese and crackers, cake etc.
Next day we all had leisurely breakfast and left late morning.

It was great - so relaxed, and we had the whole hotel exclusively so it was like staying in a country house with friends and family. Our wedding was small - around 30 guests - so it wasn't expensive.

We didn't provide a meal on Friday night as people were arriving at different times and some wanted something light, some a full meal, so they just ordered what they wanted.
We paid for one night accommodation for most of our guests and they paid for the other night - we didn't want it to be expensive for them... but couldn't afford to foot it all ourselves.
We made our table decorations, a friend dressed the room in the morning (with the hotel staff), we made confetti, I made our fruit wedding cake and we made gift bags for our guests and left them in their rooms (tissues, confetti, chocolate, water, lip balm, snacks etc)

Breakfast was included both days (full cooked) and we didn't provide lunch on Sat as the service around 1.30 - we advised our guests to tuck in to a hearty breakfast and look forward to canapes and 5 courses later!
We paid for the meals/wine/cakes etc

In total, it cost us about £7k I think including photographer, registrar, hotel, meals , drinks etc
It was perfect for us, and our guests still comment about how relaxed it was.

The hotel was on the shores on Lake Windermere and had its won boat launch if we wanted to take our guests on a lake cruise (it was January so we opted not to, but the weather was lovely and I half wish we had now).

Good luck with planning.

Edited at 09:24 PM.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List