Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Nov 17, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Laura please do keep us updated on this as it definitely was more expensive to book two singles, not from a tax angle, but from VA's carrier imposed fees. Had VA not linked our UC reward seats last year we were looking at £160pp more for VA fees on the MCO to Man segment, the Man to MCO had the same T&Fs as they'd have been on a return flight booking. I monitor on and off but since the VA/Delta combine reward seats are not only scarce but required mileage is now 'from' and often much higher than advertised figures.

Thanks
UPDATE
I've just bagged our PE Miles seats from Boston to LHR for Oct 18, having secured seats on way out to Boston 10 days ago.
The FC agent said there is definitely more tax due on cash one way seats, it's a standard rate on miles one way. The seats were booked as 2 one way, by my calculations the cost was £12 each more - I'm not unhappy about that!
Very relieved to have got the miles PE seats both ways.
Frankie & gang is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 17, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Cabbie View Post
It's now a case of checking daily. Since the VS system was replaced by the DL software reward seats have become unpredictable as well as quite often very limited.

-Steve
I think that depends on route and time of year as it has improved availability for some. For example, we have booked economy returns LHR-JFK in February. When we were looking there were no Virgin flights available outbound but we were able to get Delta flights.

The same goes for Easter. There was plenty of economy availability for Delta but hardly anything for Virgin.

The thing about the Delta flights is that they tend to be cheaper in terms of cash but also seem to cost more points. The other thing to note about flying Delta out of the UK with points - you do not get a reduction on the fees for any child fares. This is only available on Virgin metal, but as the fees for all of us were lower than with Virgin it didn't bother me.
Old 20 Nov 17, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Frankie & gang View Post
UPDATE
I've just bagged our PE Miles seats from Boston to LHR for Oct 18, having secured seats on way out to Boston 10 days ago.
The FC agent said there is definitely more tax due on cash one way seats, it's a standard rate on miles one way. The seats were booked as 2 one way, by my calculations the cost was £12 each more - I'm not unhappy about that!
That's very good and worth thinking about for the future. Perhaps I should go back to completing our eReward survey's afterall

Thank you very much for the update
Old 20 Nov 17, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Frankie & gang View Post
UPDATE
When we booked our NY flights the agent on the phone initially booked them as 2 singles (one was on Delta and the return was Virgin) and the cost was coming out at about £20 more than a return. Once he realised he could book it as a return it brought the price back down.
Old 21 Nov 17, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
bloominadversit
Getting Excited

Mobile

Yes flexibility is key - we HAD to extend our holiday by one day and fly Friday instead of Saturday for our upcoming trip.
bloominadversit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List