Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 2 Nov 18, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
disneytime
Proud to wear my Ears

21 Days at Disney, worth going to Universal?

We love Disney and can easily spend 21 days there. Everyone keeps telling me to do Universal, is it something you’d recommend and if so how many days?
disneytime is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 18, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Universal is great. For us, as fellow Disney addicts, I'd not say it was better or worse, but different.

You'll certainly get more thrill for your buck, if that's your thing.

You can do the classic 1-night stay there, staying at one of the three Premium hotels for Front of the Line access, and get everything done in both parks. Nothing wrong with that.

We prefer to stay for 4 or 5 nights though, and take things at a more leisurely pace, go on our favourites lots of times and enjoy plenty of pool time.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I would definitely do Universal if you’d like more of a thrill ride, are good with simulator rides or like Harry Potter because if you like those it will be well worth it. The wizarding world is worth it alone in my opinion
If you do go don’t expect it to be another Disney though, it isn’t magical in the same way but as we have older teens, 18 and 15, it is a bit edgier so more their thing!
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
disneytime
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks you both.

We’re at Beach Club for the whole stay but could book a night at Universal to avoid too many taxis. We’re thinking two days, one in each park.

Our two kids are 16 and 15 but DD doesn’t like big rides.
disneytime is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post

we can spend 21 days at disney, thats easy

in Aug we had 23 days in orlando, some onsite and some off,

we did a full week just disney, then had a day planned with inlaw's, that was enjoyable, and we got universal park done, we had 1 night in RPR booked for the 3rd week, but as we had done uni in 1 day, we discussed cancelling the night, we did
so we headed of and did IAO, done by 3 pm and we'd had enough by then
we had the next day planned at Uni, but cancelled it and drove to clearwater beach

now the issue, ( this is all except harry potter ) the themeing just isnt disney, the atmosphere just isnt disney, disney is shiny and polished, UNI isnt, its just a theme park
then we get onto the rides, yes uni / ioa has some thrill coasters, they are great, but then everything else appears to be simulators
Now i love the fast and furious, imagine my delight at a new ride, i was looking forward to FOP ( at AK ) and F&F , both big rides, F&F i believe is slightly younger, but it just about sums up UNI/IoA

we are going with another family in 2 years, they are massive harry potter fans, this will be a once in a lifetime trip for them, we discussed it and we are not sure we can face uni / ioa again

i guess disney is just our kinda place
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
captbnut
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
we can spend 21 days at disney, thats easy

in Aug we had 23 days in orlando, some onsite and some off,

we did a full week just disney, then had a day planned with inlaw's, that was enjoyable, and we got universal park done, we had 1 night in RPR booked for the 3rd week, but as we had done uni in 1 day, we discussed cancelling the night, we did
so we headed of and did IAO, done by 3 pm and we'd had enough by then
we had the next day planned at Uni, but cancelled it and drove to clearwater beach

now the issue, ( this is all except harry potter ) the themeing just isnt disney, the atmosphere just isnt disney, disney is shiny and polished, UNI isnt, its just a theme park
then we get onto the rides, yes uni / ioa has some thrill coasters, they are great, but then everything else appears to be simulators
Now i love the fast and furious, imagine my delight at a new ride, i was looking forward to FOP ( at AK ) and F&F , both big rides, F&F i believe is slightly younger, but it just about sums up UNI/IoA

we are going with another family in 2 years, they are massive harry potter fans, this will be a once in a lifetime trip for them, we discussed it and we are not sure we can face uni / ioa again

i guess disney is just our kinda place
I thought we were the only people who thought that! Harry Potter amazing, the rest meh.
captbnut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I have always wondered why some people seem upset by the fact Universal is not Disney. I think the parks are great and lots of fun but I go without comparing it to Disney. You can like and enjoy both.

When I was a true ride wimp I found Universal studios had lots more I enjoyed than any other park, including all the Disney parks. At that time pre AK, much of Disney seemed less adult oriented.

If one of your daughters don't like thrill rides, she can look and find lots of other things to do. I really enjoyed Men in Black and still like it much more than Buzz Light Year. Not sure a 5 year old would though.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Ils
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I have always wondered why some people seem upset by the fact Universal is not Disney. I think the parks are great and lots of fun but I go without comparing it to Disney. You can like and enjoy both.

When I was a true ride wimp I found Universal studios had lots more I enjoyed than any other park, including all the Disney parks. At that time pre AK, much of Disney seemed less adult oriented.

If one of your daughters don't like thrill rides, she can look and find lots of other things to do. I really enjoyed Men in Black and still like it much more than Buzz Light Year. Not sure a 5 year old would though.
I don't know why they compare them as they are different but good different.

This time we're doing 4 days at Disney and 3 days at Universal and we will love them all. My nine year old is looking forward to IOA the most as he is a rollercoaster junkie and wants to ride the Hulk, whilst my 5 year old is HP mad and will fleece me big style when we get there with an interactive wand etc. However they have both done Disneyland Paris three times and I know once they visit the four Disney parks they will feel that special magic and have a fantastic time which as a parent is all I can ask for.
Ils is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post

so all are theme parks, it is not to far fetched to compare them is it ? / ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We love Disney. Absolutely our first love.

We really enjoyed Harry Potter and I would have been disappointed not to see it. However the rest I can take or leave. We have a pleasant day there but I don’t feel I need to go every time.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List