Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Aug 17, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
timwalker
Proud to wear my Ears

Here now, Alamo keys question

Picked up a decent Dodge Caravan yesterday, kids love the electric doors!

Question - why do they give you all 4 keys for the car on a single key tag, 2 transponder remote keys and 2 spare lock keys.

Seems a bit odd, what will they say on return if somehow I have 'broken' the loop ring the keys are on?

Thanks.
Old 17 Aug 17, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

The new Rouge I've got here came with 2keys on the same loop first thing I did when I got to the villa cut it and I separated the keys and I'll put them both on a zip tie when I return it today like I've done for years have a wander down the tool Isle in Walmart and use the wire cutters there
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
The new Rouge I've got here came with 2keys on the same loop first thing I did when I got to the villa cut it and I separated the keys and I'll put them both on a zip tie when I return it today like I've done for years have a wander down the tool Isle in Walmart and use the wire cutters there
Glad I'm not the only one who did that

Its becoming less common to get more than one key nowadays but they don't give a hoot whether or not the keys are on the same loop as they started out, just that they are there

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
W1zz
Apprentice Imagineer

You get all the keys as that's what belongs with the car. It's not like your personal car where you'd leave a spare at home. Where would the hire cars home be? Could be any airport, office, hotel, or even state. It would be a nightmare for the rental company to keep track of spare keys. If they get lost, the customer is billed for an expensive full set.
All keys will also be needed when the car/fleet is eventually sold.

Edited at 12:37 PM.
W1zz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
timwalker
Proud to wear my Ears

Cheers chaps.
I hadn't thought of the fact the car could end up anywhere.
Off to cut the tag now.
Old 17 Aug 17, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I blame Walmart. It seems a lot of us wander down the tool aisle and how I don't know but it seems that those keys in your pocket become separated. Beats me what occurs but it's happened to me about 10 times now.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by timwalker View Post
Picked up a decent Dodge Caravan yesterday, kids love the electric doors!

Question - why do they give you all 4 keys for the car on a single key tag, 2 transponder remote keys and 2 spare lock keys.

Seems a bit odd, what will they say on return if somehow I have 'broken' the loop ring the keys are on?

Thanks.
Hi
Are the spare lock keys the ones that fit into the transponders. The keys to the truck I had in June were like this, opened the wire loop, and inserted the keys into the transponders.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by W1zz View Post
You get all the keys as that's what belongs with the car. It's not like your personal car where you'd leave a spare at home. Where would the hire cars home be? Could be any airport, office, hotel, or even state. It would be a nightmare for the rental company to keep track of spare keys. If they get lost, the customer is billed for an expensive full set.
All keys will also be needed when the car/fleet is eventually sold.
There have been reports of the hire company keeping the spare key in case the hirer locks himself/herself out.

The last two cars I've hired have only had one key for some reason, although that could be as simple as the previous hirer did not return both

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Alibayparc View Post
Hi
Are the spare lock keys the ones that fit into the transponders. The keys to the truck I had in June were like this, opened the wire loop, and inserted the keys into the transponders.
Alex
When I do get 2 keys, which is actually quite rare now, it's normally 2 x fob things. Like mine here when you can push down a clip and a skeleton key slides out. Hope that helps.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List