Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

View Poll Results: Who is your preferred car rental company and why?
alamo 638 75.95%
hertz 41 4.88%
budget 17 2.02%
dollar 24 2.86%
avis 80 9.52%
sixt 13 1.55%
other 36 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 840. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Aug 17, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
johnandmaz
Imagineer

Originally Posted by a11mark View Post
At Disney there is a Disney Car Care Center, its situated right outside the Magic Kingdom Car Park Entrance. If you rent from Alamo or National you can pick your car up from here rather than the airport. (handy if you have a late flight and you don't want to drive when you land)
This for us as well. Last 6 trips we've just got Quicksilver from airport because it's quicker, we can a have a glass of vino on the plane and we don't tend to use the car for the first few days anyway.

The DCCC shuttle is very good - picking up/dropping off at an agreed time anywhere on property. They like 24 hours notice but we've phoned apologetically a few hours before and it wasn't a problem.

Just to add, that if you're staying in the Boardwalk area, there is an Alamo a short stroll away at the Dolphin. The choice isn't as extensive as the DCCC though. Plus, on our last few visits we've been given a selection of keys and told to go have a look and pick one. At the Dolphin, they bring your car to the front for you without the chance to pick one.

Florida - 91, 93, 94, 95, 97, 01, 03, 05, 07 - twice, 09, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 24
johnandmaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 17, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Hil
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JBJBJB View Post
Do all the great reviews for Alamo stretch to Miami airport Alamo? Anyone experience with car hire at Miami? Thanks
We've used Avis to/from Miami with no problems.

We've also used Alamo from Miami and had all good experiences apart from one sub-standard vehicle where the tyre shredded a couple of hours in - all sorted very swiftly, but could have been really nasty!

Experience with Budget from Miami wasn't good, and we wouldn't choose them again.

Originally Posted by IndianaMac View Post
Voted Alamo... Simple reason is we stay on property, use Disney Express, and rent a couple of days into the holiday and return before the end, so Alamo at Disney Car Care is the obvious (only?) option.
We now try to stay first night in Saratoga Springs Resort or Old Key West Resort, use Disney Magical Express from Orlando, and then pick up Alamo car the next morning from the Lake Buena Vista Resort right opposite the 'back' entrance to Saratoga Springs. Easily walkable from SSR (once you can get across the road, lol!), and has always been quick and fuss-free collection. We drop off back at our departure airport, whether that's Orlando or Miami. We once had a minor problem with the car we'd collected, took it back to the Buena Vista rental office, and it was exchanged for us straight away (with complimentary upgrade).
Hil is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
darth plagueis
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Who is your fav car hire company?

Mine is Alamo, never had a problem with them.

Will always book with them even if they are more expensive.

DLP - Santa Fe 2017/18
TBC 2020
darth plagueis is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
BoxOfFrogs
VIP Dibber

BoxOfFrogs's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Alamo

Reason: cos Tom Morrow said it's best, good enough for me
Old 16 Aug 17, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

for me its budget they have always looked after me,

i used them for the first time when i was only 23 because at the time they were the only company that did not charge for underage drivers, helped me through everything and did not try to up sell me at all even though i was a novice then (not now) i have always tried to use them every time since then,

i like the free additional driver for spouse can some times allow for a little upgrade with the saving, they also have a fair toll policy as well, not the best but fair and far from the worst here's looking at you dollar

also on one occasion they they were very helpful when i was adamant i wanted a mustang but they only had the evil sebring. found and prepaired me one in 15mins

i also like alamo as well i've never had a problem with them any time i used them, most definetley my second choice

oh and as i was once told by the budget customer services guy when i was adamant i have an american car, "their is no such thing they are all made in mexico" that's always stuck with me and made me laugh

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
macjaddie
Getting Excited

Discount Florida Car Hire. Comes with free sat nav hire which is really useful.
macjaddie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sue97
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I use Hertz because as a gold member, DH gets free insurance and we always get an upgrade
sue97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Feb 18, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Alamo

Been with dollar a few times as well but I like the Alamo gold it has everything I need.

Old 8 Feb 18, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
metalguru
Apprentice Imagineer

metalguru's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Alamo, skip the line, say no more, nudge nudge wink wink
metalguru is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
lifes2comp
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
So far, we seem to be the only Avis fans. We book via BA and thus get a discount. We are "Preferred" customers and so go straight to the garage pick up - none of that faffing at desks. Have always got what we booked and have been very satisfied.
Agree with geoffa and use Avis for exact same reasons. Have done for a number of years and similarly always happy and no issues. Preferred is great skipping desks, no hard sell, happy to help.

Second choice would be Alamo mainly for choice of cars and used previously with no problem at MCO.
lifes2comp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List