Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Jul 17, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Libbyimo View Post
Also , if you join BA executive club, free of charge,you will get a second driver free , and probably an upgraded car .
I was under the impression preferred do not qualify for free upgrades
That was for Avis Preferred Plus and Avis President's Club members

Single car upgrades are subject to availability for Avis Preferred Plus members. Double upgrades for Avis President's Club members are also subject to availability.
THIS DOCUMENT GIVES A QUICK GLIMPSE OF OUR LOYALTY BENEFITS
avisassets.abgemea/dms/a...ts-summary.pdf
Old 11 Jul 17, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TEL N KEL View Post
I was under the impression preferred do not qualify for free upgrades
That was for Avis Preferred Plus and Avis President's Club members

Single car upgrades are subject to availability for Avis Preferred Plus members. Double upgrades for Avis President's Club members are also subject to availability.
THIS DOCUMENT GIVES A QUICK GLIMPSE OF OUR LOYALTY BENEFITS
avisassets.abgemea/dms/a...ts-summary.pdf
You can earn upgrades as a Preferred member due to the number of bookings you make.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Swimmer68
VIP Dibber

Just wanted to let dibbers know that Avis would not accept my debit card for car hire . He showed me his screen and it said after he ran my card that this type of card is not accepted . He said it has to be credit ! This was at the hilton in disney springs booked on a ba fly drive
Swimmer68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
SiandAm
Imagineer

Mobile

Also check all tickets before leaving the desk. We arrived later after a long delay (1am) hubby took the ticket and we took the car- the next day I checked the ticket and it said expected charges $485. I was reassured it's because BA pay after the rental. Fast forward to the drop off and when returning the printed receipt was for almost $700, so we went to the preferred desk and queried this to be told it was for LDW ins. Luckily we still had the original voucher so DH got it out and said we prepaid with this on so why would I repay- she couldn't answer and refunded us there and then

PORS 1995 Grand Floridian 1997 CBR 1998 ASMovies2002/2004Cumbrian lakes 2005,6,8,10,11,12,13,14 & 15 NYC/disney '12 AKL 2007 OKW 2009 2012Ellie hunts tour CBR 19
cumbrian lakes2016,17,18,19,22 2019 ASMovies 2022
SiandAm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I saw the post that debit cards were OK and was quite surprised. I agree with Swimmer that most rental companies (Alamo is an exception) do not accept debit cards. Almost all American debit cards now bear the VISA or MasterCard logo but are not accepted for most car rentals.

I would never plan on using a debit card unless the rental company explicitly states they are accepted.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
V8Pops
Dancing with Tink'

Sign up free for Avis preferred , and email BA to get the rental linked with your Avis account ; At the airport Avis allocate you a car, if you dont like it..there is a "swap" row ( free to choose ).and an "upgrade" row" ( $ per DAY shown in the windscreen so you usually have a choice of car, I believe you have to have booked an intermediate or above class of car .
I have used visa debit cards with Avis @ MCO twice and Chicago once...without any problems . I was told you have to at least £200 in credit at the time of collection to cover tolls and fines...?.I will be doing this in 6 weeks time .
I dont have credit cards..

Edited at 08:27 AM.
V8Pops is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by V8Pops View Post
Sign up free for Avis preferred , and email BA to get the rental linked with your Avis account ; At the airport Avis allocate you a car, if you dont like it..there is a "swap" row ( free to choose ).and an "upgrade" row" ( $ per DAY shown in the windscreen so you usually have a choice of car, I believe you have to have booked an intermediate or above class of car .
I have used visa debit cards with Avis @ MCO twice and Chicago once...without any problems . I was told you have to at least £200 in credit at the time of collection to cover tolls and fines...?.I will be doing this in 6 weeks time .
Same here. Last year used my visa debit, no issues whatsoever
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Swimmer68
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by V8Pops View Post
Hi I hope it works for you as they def would not take my debit card this time 👎
Swimmer68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 17, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Libsmum
Earning More Ears

We picked up from the Avis desk at Doubletree at Universal last week. They put a $100 hold, worked our at ~£82 on my credit card which was cleared a few days later.

On the plus side, no hassle with extra charges etc, guy clearly showed us zero balance on paperwork and stated BA voucher meant we had nothing to pay.

Picking up another car from a different office tomorrow and hoping for the same efficient service.
Libsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 17, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
markpwa8
Very Serious Dibber

I used debit as preferred and no hold. This was at MCO 2 weeks ago
markpwa8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List