Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 18 Aug 17, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Best on Disney Property Car Hire

August 2018- will be doing (I think, albeit there is a possibility the hotels could end up the other way around if not bookable (DVC)) 5 nights at Boardwalk or Beach Club, then off to St Augustine for 4 nights, then back to Animal Kingdom for 5 nights.
Plan is not to have a car first bit of stay, but pick one up from on Disney property or nearby as we leave Boardwalk. We will keep the car when we get back to AKL, but only for 4 days, I will return it the day before we leave to save a day's hire. We will then get Magical Express back to airport.
I do not book one with insurance etc included, as I now buy an annual policy as I rent about 4 - 6 cars a year and this works out way cheaper nowadays.
What is the best place to rent from do you think given this itinerary? I have always only rented from the airport before. Experience of service at each option anyone? Quality of cars etc. ERAC/ Alamo tends to be my first choice as they are one of my clients so have loyalty to them have great service (I just went through a Toll in New York without paying and the admin charge was an incredibly reasonable $3.95 on top of the toll), but I will go with whatever is best and not sure if they are on site anyway.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Alamo have at least 3 locations onsite. The Dolphin. The Buena Vista Palace and the huge one at The Disney Car Care Centre right by the MK toll plaza.
That one will pick you up with 24hrs notice from any hotel or park on property. They will also drop you anywhere on property when you return the car.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Great thanks for prompt reply Tom.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

One of the times when I would recommend the Alamo.com site as site shows price ex insurance where as the the UK sites are inclusive,I assume you will have the cover or can ammend to US $1 MIL.
As MrTM DCCC is best onsite although in theory allocated in practice can often request something in your group and they usually oblige.
Enjoy.
Old 20 Aug 17, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mater
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Hilton over the road from Disney springs (hotel plaza boulevard) has an Avis desk too

Covid happened and a few different holidays then back to Orlando in 2024.

August 2024 - Rosen Shingle Creek / Loews Royal Pacific
Mater is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
One of the times when I would recommend the Alamo.com site as site shows price ex insurance where as the the UK sites are inclusive,I assume you will have the cover or can ammend to US $1 MIL.
As MrTM DCCC is best onsite although in theory allocated in practice can often request something in your group and they usually oblige.
Enjoy.
Yes thanks I did use US site to reserve but when you do the check in thing (even though it's a year ahead lol) it won't let you without a US address.
Just noticed Alamo Brits with the insurances is nearly the same price but you have to pay upfront so may do that now, not sure.
Thanks for the replies,.
Old 20 Aug 17, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Enjoy.
Do you mean asking them for something specific when you go to pick up the car, or mentioning when you phone to arrange the pick up?

I really want to get a Tahoe as I want the full V8 American experience, but given the recent reports I am a little concerned about the likelihood of ending up with some Ford V6...
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 17, 01:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by The Fatadder View Post
Do you mean asking them for something specific when you go to pick up the car, or mentioning when you phone to arrange the pick up?

I really want to get a Tahoe as I want the full V8 American experience, but given the recent reports I am a little concerned about the likelihood of ending up with some Ford V6...
It's about asking at the desk of the CCC when they are processing your booking. However they can say no and nothing you can do. Also they may not have what you want anyhow. I had to go back a day later to get a Cadillac when I swapped a defective car out as they had none that day.
When I went back they had 4 at least, maybe more.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List