Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Jun 17, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Shanghai, Hong Kong or Tokyo

Hello fellow dibbers

I'm sending myself round in circles trying to decide which Disney to go to next year!

We are a family of 4 - Me, hubby and 2 daughters aged 15 and 10 years and are torn between Shanghai, Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Has anybody got any advice for a confused dibber please?

Thanks in advance

Michele
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
WindwoodBay
Apprentice Imagineer

Hi Michelle
I have been to Japan & Hong Kong (twice). Hong Kong I understand is now much larger than last time we went. It is on the Island of Lantau so the same as the airport. There are 2 Disney Hotels - have stayed in both and would recommend both. Neither are within walking distance of the park but there is a regular bus shuttle.
Japan is different as Main street is under glass. The Japanese sit down to watch the parades so everyone gets to see (or at least they did when we went some years back). There is also Diney Sea. Once you leave the airport in Japan NOTHING is in English unlike HK. I personally would recommend HK due to ease of getting around.My Japanese friend flew in to meet us in Tokyo so it was fine for us but the lack of spoken/written English does make it harder to navigate IMO.
Now for Shanghai the only one we haven't been to (yet). I personally would not go there yet as I have heard the queues are regularly 4 hours. I think we will wait a while. HK had long queues when it first opened. We went in October half term on both trips & the queues were not as bad as Florida in holiday season.

Edited at 08:04 PM.
WindwoodBay is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by WindwoodBay View Post
Hi Michelle
I have been to Japan & Hong Kong (twice). Hong Kong I understand is now much larger than last time we went. It is on the Island of Lantau so the same as the airport. There are 2 Disney Hotels - have stayed in both and would recommend both. Neither are within walking distance of the park but there is a regular bus shuttle.
Japan is different as Main street is under glass. The Japanese sit down to watch the parades so everyone gets to see (or at least they did when we went some years back). There is also Diney Sea. Once you leave the airport in Japan NOTHING is in English unlike HK. I personally would recommend HK due to ease of getting around.My Japanese friend flew in to meet us in Tokyo so it was fine for us but the lack of spoken/written English does make it harder to navigate IMO.
Now for Shanghai the only one we haven't been to (yet). I personally would not go there yet as I have heard the queues are regularly 4 hours. I think we will wait a while. HK had long queues when it first opened. We went in October half term on both trips & the queues were not as bad as Florida in holiday season.
Ooh fab advice thank you very much 👍

Hong Kong was my first choice and there does seem to be a lot to do in HK. The hotels in Shanghai look absolutely amazing though and I did wonder if I could squeeze a cuddle with a panda in as well! I wish we could afford to do both!

You're advice has been really helpful, thank you again xx
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Only been to Japan
But I would say this , no other country comes even close to being such a wonderfully pleasant place to visit.

Friendly, safe, clean, polite

I would live there if I could!
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by kevin_cambs_uk View Post
Only been to Japan
But I would say this , no other country comes even close to being such a wonderfully pleasant place to visit.

Friendly, safe, clean, polite

I would live there if I could!
Sounds perfect 👍 Did you have a problem with the language barrier while you were there?
Old 8 Jun 17, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I've been to all 3 parks.

Of the 3 the one I liked the best was Tokyo, by far. It's the largest of the 3 (with Tokyo Disney Sea and Disneyland), and Disney Sea is very different from the standard Magic Kingdom style park. People there are all incredibly nice, polite and helpful, they sit down for the parades so everyone gets a great view, the parks are all immaculate and beautiful. Food is really great there too, there are lots of interesting (and pretty!) food in the parks e.g. Toy Story alien mochi, Chandu tail, and all the popcorn flavours.

Getting around in Tokyo wasn't too bad with the help of Google Maps. But there is a distinct lack of spoken English - in the parks there are signs in English and CMs are very helpful and try to speak English, but the shows and announcements were almost all in Japanese so a lot of context is lost.

Just came back from Shanghai last week. Shanghai Disneyland is a great park, everything is new, immaculate, and the tech is by far the most advanced (given how new it is). For example, Buzz Lightyear is updated and the "Z"s you shoot at are screens that light up very nicely making it more fun to play. However, it's marred somewhat by the people there who are incredibly pushy, cut in line wherever possible, and on occasion are downright rude. Not as bad as I expected, but enough to mar the experience. Shanghai itself is also too busy and crowded for my liking with a lot of pushing and shoving, plus I also got shortchanged in one of the shops (not a lot of money, but more of the principle of the thing). So not a huge fan of Shanghai and I think it'll be a while before I go back there. Shanghai Disneyland Hotel is absolutely amazing though!

Hong Kong... I last went in 2010. It was very small then, but that was before the expansions e.g. Mystic Manor. Trying to see if I can get back there at some point! It will also be the most English friendly destination and a lot of people there speak good English, and signs are in English too (both in DL and in the city).
Old 8 Jun 17, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I've been to all 3 parks.

Of the 3 the one I liked the best was Tokyo, by far. It's the largest of the 3 (with Tokyo Disney Sea and Disneyland), and Disney Sea is very different from the standard Magic Kingdom style park. People there are all incredibly nice, polite and helpful, they sit down for the parades so everyone gets a great view, the parks are all immaculate and beautiful. Food is really great there too, there are lots of interesting (and pretty!) food in the parks e.g. Toy Story alien mochi, Chandu tail, and all the popcorn flavours.

Getting around in Tokyo wasn't too bad with the help of Google Maps. But there is a distinct lack of spoken English - in the parks there are signs in English and CMs are very helpful and try to speak English, but the shows and announcements were almost all in Japanese so a lot of context is lost.

Just came back from Shanghai last week. Shanghai Disneyland is a great park, everything is new, immaculate, and the tech is by far the most advanced (given how new it is). For example, Buzz Lightyear is updated and the "Z"s you shoot at are screens that light up very nicely making it more fun to play. However, it's marred somewhat by the people there who are incredibly pushy, cut in line wherever possible, and on occasion are downright rude. Not as bad as I expected, but enough to mar the experience. Shanghai itself is also too busy and crowded for my liking with a lot of pushing and shoving, plus I also got shortchanged in one of the shops (not a lot of money, but more of the principle of the thing). So not a huge fan of Shanghai and I think it'll be a while before I go back there. Shanghai Disneyland Hotel is absolutely amazing though!

Hong Kong... I last went in 2010. It was very small then, but that was before the expansions e.g. Mystic Manor. Trying to see if I can get back there at some point! It will also be the most English friendly destination and a lot of people there speak good English, and signs are in English too (both in DL and in the city).
Fab, thank you Sky13, I wonder how much it would cost to go to HK and Tokyo
Old 8 Jun 17, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I've been to HK Disney it is a small park. You would just need one day there. There is lots to do and see in Hong Kong though.

The mystic manor ride was our favourite and they have opened a new ironman ride which is also very good.

HK is very easy to get around with the MTR. We didn't stay in a Disney hotel we stayed in Kowloon.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 17, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by orlandolover04 View Post
I've been to HK Disney it is a small park. You would just need one day there. There is lots to do and see in Hong Kong though.

The mystic manor ride was our favourite and they have opened a new ironman ride which is also very good.

HK is very easy to get around with the MTR. We didn't stay in a Disney hotel we stayed in Kowloon.
Thanks Orlandolover, which hotel did you stay in in Kowloon please? And did you just do HK or did you go onto somewhere else after?
Old 8 Jun 17, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by pink glitter View Post
Thanks Orlandolover, which hotel did you stay in in Kowloon please? And did you just do HK or did you go onto somewhere else after?
Just done a week there! we stayed at the panorama by rhombus. Excellent hotel stayed on a club level with views across the harbour. had breakfast each morning on 33rd floor and then in the evening free drinks spirits beers soft drinks. You pay a little extra but it is worth it to wake up to that view each day! free wifi to with club lounge.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List