Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Jun 17, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Just back- Thoughts on Visiting China and HK

Hi all

First of all, thanks for help with planning our trip.

We have just returned from China and Hong Kong and thought I'd share some of the highs (and lows) and info which might help anyone else planning a trip.

China
We were going to China for our sons Chinese wedding ceremony to our lovely Chinese daughter in Law. They were legally married in Singapore last year but were having the Chinese ceremony for her family at home (Wedding was wonderful by the way!). We were going to Hainan a large Island off the coast of China so not mainland China and not Disney but I think a few things might be useful for other travellers especially those going more off the beaten path.

First of all, Visas. Visa can be applied for in Person in London, Manchester or Edinburgh or by post to one of the above- this was via the Chinese Visa service which the UK Gov't travel site directs you to.

You can only get a multiple entry 2-year visa now in UK and cost is £175 per person if you do it through the post, about £150 in person.

Be careful you get a Chinese Visa size photo not a UK passport photo size. They website gives info on photos so make sure you read. You may have to have them redone if you have jewellery on, hair in face, etc.

We applied through post about six weeks before travelling and had Visas back within a week. Passport has to have six months validity and be in good shape. One of my sons got returned as it had water damage- didn't really notice this and he had to get new PP which was a bit of a panic!

Going through immigration and customs was an experience, expect lots of armed soldiers, which feels quite intimidating. The immigration officers themselves were very friendly.

Do not expect people to speak English, may be different in Shanghai, etc but in Hainan most did not speak any English. Good translation apps on your phone are very useful especially in restaurants. We ordered what looked like toast from a menu one morning and what actually arrived was deep fried peanut butter sandwich!

This actually became a bit of a theme in China and Hong Kong, just because the name and picture look like something you would have here don't expect it will be!

Facebook and google are banned sites in China (just in case you cannot live without them!)

Getting a train (high speed) in China is very different. You buy your tickets and then go through an airport style security and screening. You are then held in a waiting area and only let through to your train when it is due. Again, expect armed soldiers.

The people themselves were extremely friendly and helpful. If you at somewhere where they don't usually see westerners expect them to ask to have photos taken with you. My 6' 4" son was inundated with requests!

We spent a few nights in Sanya (meant to be the Hawaii of the east) and it was superb. Stayed in a couple of 5* hotels which were Stunning and highly recommend for anyone wanting a different type of beach holiday at very cheap prices.

All in all, I was very nervous about travelling to China but absolutely loved it! We were lucky in that our D in L shepherded us around and she speaks good English and off course Chinese.

I would advise though if travelling to China unless you are very adventurous book transport ahead and arrange tours through reputable sites or your hotel.

I would definitely go back!

Hong Kong

Spent four nights staying in Shangri-La Kowloon. We had superb room overlooking the harbour stunning view when we first opened the curtains.

We preferred the Kowloon side seemed less crowded and smelly than the HK side. It was very easy to get across either on the Star ferry or MTR. Transport in HK is very good and very easy to navigate, also very cheap.

We picked up MTR octopus cards and airport express tickets in the airport. We had the 150-dollar Octopus cards ($50 deposit which you get back along with anything left on your card- $9 admin). We added $50 dollars onto card and had about $70 back including deposit at the end. It was cheaper to buy airport express tickets as got a large discount for buying a four together. Son and D in law also visited with us.

HK airport is huge! It can take as much as 1/2 hour to get between gates so take that into account. Multiple shops once through into departures including 2 x Disney shops.

HK itself is very busy and bustling, very hot and very humid. If you go beginning of June to put it bluntly expect to sweat, a lot!

Choice of shopping and restaurants was incredible.

We went up the Peak, tram wasn't working which was disappointing but you have great views over HK and surrounding areas. I suggest even if you get the tram up you ride the top desk of the bus down, better than any thrill ride you will ever go on!

Go on the Star Ferry during daylight and at night, fantastic views.

There can be quite strong smells in parts of the city which take a bit of getting used to and get worse the more time without rain.

We went to Ngong Ping Cable car up to Big Buddha and Po Lin Monastery and highly recommend this for a day out. 25 minute cable car ride and stunning views, you can buy tickets online now which save possible long queue at ticket office.

Don't make an extra effort to see the lights over the bay, this was very disappointing especially compared to the light show in Singapore. Just a few more flashing lights on the building on HK side and some music piped in certain areas. That said HK at night is beautiful. Lots of buildings lit up and harbour is stunning.

Disneyland- Awesome!

Really easy to get to using MTR and you get to ride Mickey train! Mickey shaped windows and statues of the characters throughout the carriages. even the hand holders, if you are standing up are shaped like Mickeys!

We went for one day but when we go back would definitely do two days and stay overnight at Disney hotel. We found we did not have enough time to see and do everything despite being there from opening to closing. It was also incredibly hot and humid, high to mid-30's which is very tiring and being able to go back to hotel for a rest would have been fantastic.

I'm quite surprised by all the people who say one day is enough, as it was very quiet whilst we were there and one day was definitely not enough.

The theming is superb, lots of little touches. I really liked Grizzly Gulch, my dad loved westerns and I love that theming.

My husband liked the new Iron man ride, went on it three times anyway and I loved meeting Iron Man He was very funny.

I really liked Mystic Manor, better than Haunted Mansion and Toy Story land was fun.

Best of all no queues! Most rides were walk on or five minutes, even if they said they were 15 minutes they usually were only 5-10 minutes. Apparently, park has got quieter since Shanghai Disney opened.

Queues to meet characters were very quiet and very entertaining watching the Chinese visitors, they really go for the posing when photos being taken.

There was a good choice of food, had a fantastic burger in Royal Banquet Hall. Tried the honey and fruit drink recommended by a fellow Dibber at main street bakery and it was very refreshing.

The evening parade was dazzling and arrived about five minutes before it started and had fantastic view in front of castle.

We sat about four rows back in front of castle for the fireworks. The CM make everyone keep sat down so everyone gets a great view.

Shopping was cheaper than in Disney World, they had Cogsworth for $380 about £39 far cheaper than I bought in WDW last year.

All in all, I would definitely go back to HK Disney it is a lovely park, quiet, well themed and in a stunning location.

I enjoyed HK as a city and some good things to visit but feel you could easily do this in 3/4 days, plus off course a couple in Disney.

Hope I haven’t waffled on too much and this is of use to other travellers.
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Ourdaybydesign
Excited about Disney

Mobile

All sounds great.

We aren't long back from Hong Kong too. We had 7 days and still felt there was loads we didn't do.

We did 2 days at Disney which was great. We had one night (our last night) at the new explorers hotel but only did one of our Disney days after that (we did the other using the MTR from the city) as we did the big Buddha then used the Disney hotel facilities the day we checked in.

We have friends in Hong Kong so did spend some time with them too.

I would definitely go back.
Hong Kong Disneyland {1}: May 2017
Ourdaybydesign is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Wow, thanks Puddle5, loads of really useful information. Sounds like you fitted lots in 😀 Do they have photopass photographers in HK Disney do you know?
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Yes they have photopass photographers and you could buy a day ticket, sorry didn't see how much as DH is an avid photographer so didn't buy. They were very good about taking photos for us with DH camera though!
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
pink glitter
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Puddle5 View Post
Yes they have photopass photographers and you could buy a day ticket, sorry didn't see how much as DH is an avid photographer so didn't buy. They were very good about taking photos for us with DH camera though!
Fab thanks 👍
pink glitter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

we went to Disney in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Tokyo in April and have a few things I can answer.

Hong Kong Disneyland
We love this park - think it might even be our favourite out of all the parks as it's so manageable and feels 'comfy'! This was our 2nd visit and both times we've spent a night in Disney Hollywood Hotel and would recommend staying onsite. Spent 2 full days and was just right for us.

Photopass - is valid for 3 days and was less than £45. We had some really nice shots and a couple of the photographers were so obliging and spent ages with us so very good value for money in my opinion.

China
apparently there is a way of getting on FB and other restricted sites as the Disney staff were using it and were telling DH how to do it but he didn't want to download the (sorry, I'm rather technologically challenged!) search engine type thingy - it's something like VBN or VNB and if you use that then apparently it bypasses the Great Firewall of China.
Enjoyed Shanghai DL but thought their practice of letting people in to sell counterfeit goods was a bit surprising (saw them selling Minnie ears in the toilets, in the lines and on the rides!)
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hi Dee Slack
It's a VPN you need to change to get onto other sites, lots of ads come up on your phone to get these as a trial for free if you want to go that route. Be aware that free VPN's may data mine your phone so don't use for banking, etc. As with anything you are going to put on your phone do some research and you can put on in the UK before travelling. Personally I wouldn't do it, I don't use FB anyway but its up to the individual.
Old 10 Jun 17, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Forgot to say we booked tickets from Disney HK site, got a great deal that included a free combo meal and drink in a selection of different restaurants. I've been looking at tickets for a while and they often seem to have these offers.

Also recommend stopping at HK tourist desk in arrivals after picking up cases. Lady there was really helpful gave us maps, discount booklet, etc.
Old 10 Jun 17, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Puddle5 View Post
Hi Dee Slack
It's a VPN you need to change to get onto other sites, lots of ads come up on your phone to get these as a trial for free if you want to go that route. Be aware that free VPN's may data mine your phone so don't use for banking, etc. As with anything you are going to put on your phone do some research and you can put on in the UK before travelling. Personally I wouldn't do it, I don't use FB anyway but its up to the individual.
DH uses his phone for work so didn't want to do it in case it caused problems and I don't use a phone (just my Mac) so waited until got to Japan so no biggie but the internet was sooo slow in Chengdu and Shanghai so not sure if a national thing from that point of view quite happy when we left China!
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 17, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Ourdaybydesign
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by pink glitter View Post
Wow, thanks Puddle5, loads of really useful information. Sounds like you fitted lots in 😀 Do they have photopass photographers in HK Disney do you know?
Yes they definitely did. It lasts for 3 days but our days were split so bought it twice in the end. We had the 20% vouchers but it was 398HKD full price I think so not much. We weren't going to bother on our last day as it was so wet but then we saw a few characters and my son did the Jedi training so we had to get the pics.
Hong Kong Disneyland {1}: May 2017
Ourdaybydesign is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List