Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Aug 17, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Alamo why so expensive ?

Hi

Looking for car hire for 2 weeks starting 28th March and normally when going to the US I would choose Alamo but currently they are sooo expensive.. any recommendations. Looking for a full size car.

I have tried BA and they are coming back around £370.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
£439 with Virgin. Try Netflights, they have been good lately.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
OrlandoLes
Excited about Disney

OrlandoLes's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Try Discount Florida Car hire (Andy on here) as my mate has just booked a full size with Alamo through him £424 for 15 days (starting a few days before your holiday). You can book now pay later with free cancellation if you find it gets any cheaper & he will also amend if the price drops with him.
OrlandoLes is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Bullpeppar
Imagineer

Bullpeppar's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by OrlandoLes View Post
Try Discount Florida Car hire (Andy on here) as my mate has just booked a full size with Alamo through him £424 for 15 days (starting a few days before your holiday). You can book now pay later with free cancellation if you find it gets any cheaper & he will also amend if the price drops with him.
Absolutely agree 100% - Andy is great

DLP-Santa Fe '01DLP-Cheyenne '03Quality Inn Jul'05 Oak Plantation Resort-Jul'07-3wksDLP-Sequoia Dec'08Hamlet Crt-Jul'09-3wksHamlet Crt,NY,HRH-Jul'11-3wksRPR & Rotonda-Jul'12 Hamlet Crt,Rotonda-Jul'13-3wksRPR,Hamlet Crt,Rotonda-Jul'14Watersong,RPR,Rotonda Jul'15-3 wksWatersong,RPR,Rotonda-Jul'17-3wks LGI, Watersong,RPR-July ‘19
Bullpeppar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

This is useful. I have been looking for car hire prices for next year and Alamo have rocketed their prices. I usually use uscarhire but they're not as cheap as Andy so going to give them a go I think. Is that the full price - no hidden extras re insurance or anything?
Thanks
Old 19 Aug 17, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
irvin38a
slightly serious Dibber

Alamo for us. Have always used them as we like to choose our own car and have never had a problem even when our 3 year old locked the keys in the boot in Disney Springs!

Always find Auto Europe get me the best price too vs Alamo Brits and Discount Florida Car Hire. As soon as I know we are going I book the car we want then amend as necessary when the price falls. This year we started with a full size for £450 and eventually got it down to a Luxury/Premium for £340 for 18 days.

Just booked next years full size for 17 days in May/June - £428. Again, will amend whenever price drops. Dollar is showing £375 but would rather wait for Alamo!
irvin38a is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by irvin38a View Post
Alamo for us. Have always used them as we like to choose our own car and have never had a problem even when our 3 year old locked the keys in the boot in Disney Springs!

Always find Auto Europe get me the best price too vs Alamo Brits and Discount Florida Car Hire. As soon as I know we are going I book the car we want then amend as necessary when the price falls. This year we started with a full size for £450 and eventually got it down to a Luxury/Premium for £340 for 18 days.

Just booked next years full size for 17 days in May/June - £428. Again, will amend whenever price drops. Dollar is showing £375 but would rather wait for Alamo!
I don't think people are against Alamo, just recommending booking via a 3rd party rather than with Alamo direct.

I priced up next year and Alamo were 3 times the amount that Virgin were charging for the same Alamo booking - obscene.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
I don't think people are against Alamo, just recommending booking via a 3rd party rather than with Alamo direct.

I priced up next year and Alamo were 3 times the amount that Virgin were charging for the same Alamo booking - obscene.
Wow. I'm considering cancelling VH car and going direct to Alamo (with 10% code) as they are far cheaper! Don't forget VH include very basic insurance by default. For the lowest spec car VH want over £350 more the additional insurance.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
irvin38a
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post

I never said people were against Alamo?
irvin38a is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by Gezzs View Post
Wow. I'm considering cancelling VH car and going direct to Alamo (with 10% code) as they are far cheaper! Don't forget VH include very basic insurance by default. For the lowest spec car VH want over £350 more the additional insurance.
This was a direct booking with Virgin Holidays for just the car, not the one they package up with a holiday booking with the minimal insurance (they have a 'car hire' tab on their main booking page to the right of the page).

It was something like £420 with Virgin (fully insured with 2 drivers) whereas Alamo wanted ~£1280 from memory .

First places I check now are Virgin and Discount Florida Car Hire (Andy).
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List