Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Aug 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post

To hire a car or not to hire a car?

Hi everyone,

I am new to this thread, currently planning our once in a lifetime trip for summer 2019. I know I might be a little premature but I want to be ready to book next April having done as much research as possible, and I'm so glad I found this site as it's quite overwhelming with how much there is to think about. One thing I can't decide on is whether car hire is necessary or not? We are planning to stay on International drive and I've been reading about how good the free shuttle buses are and uber. I keep thinking car hire could be a big expense which isn't needed. Please let me know what you experts think. Many thanks to anyone who replies x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
TillySmith
Excited about Disney

Hi and welcome to the Dibb, we would never think of not hiring a car in Florida, there is so much to do and see away from the parks, it really depends on what you are going to do whilst there. If you are only visiting the parks then you probably could get away without a car, I am sure many people will come on and say they have visited and not hired a car.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, I just would not feel as if I had seen or experienced much other then the parks if I was relying on either shuttle buses or Uber to get me around.
You have lots of time to decide, Good Luck.

Pam
TillySmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Welcome from me as well. Have to agree with Pam.

Dozens or maybe hundreds of Dibbers get by perfectly well using Uber, Lynx buses, hotel shuttles and the like but having been over 30 times and hired a car every time I just couldn't imagine being without one.

We want to decide at 2.00 sitting on the villa pool deck to go out to Publix and we're in the car by 2.05. After 30 minutes in Publix we need to also go Walmart and we're in the car a minute later.

Wherever we want to go, however long we want to stay there, however many times we change our mind we want to be in immediate control not waiting for a taxi or bus.

We regularly leave the villa at dinner time not knowing where we fancy until we're nearly there.

Always hire from a UK company such as Alamo Brits, Discount Florida Car Hire, usrentacar etc. They will always include all the insurances that you need and will be far more competitive than renting out there.

Even though Disney's 47 square miles are fantastic we love to explore the other 65,700 square miles that Florida has to offer.

Mick
Old 20 Aug 17, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

There are plenty of dibbers who don't hire a car and get on just fine, however we're not one of them. We like the flexibility of being able to go where we want and when we want. As well as spending time in the parks, we like eating off site, shopping at the various malls and outlets and going to other non park destinations.
Old 20 Aug 17, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KK_Cat
VIP Dibber

KK_Cat's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I'm also firmly in the "wouldn't be without a car" camp, I couldn't bear the thoughts of getting/waiting for buses. I wonder if a lot of that is down to what you are used to at home as we live in the country, drive everywhere and never get buses or taxis anywhere (there is no public transport available where we live). Lots and lots of people here on the DIBB swear by park/shuttle buses and taxis/uber but maybe if you are used to using public transport then they might not be a big deal.
Next trip: Nov 2023
KK_Cat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Gotta be honest, there is no way I'd go without hiring a car. Although the transport links are great and as others say getting around without one is handy enough the flexibility that comes with having a car is worth the time and money. The parks can be exhausting and the idea of jumping in the car and heading off somewhere less hectic every now and then is very therapeutic.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

I agree with all we tried on our 2nd trip to do it without a car lasted 3 hours before I got on. Having a car gives you so much freedom.
Old 20 Aug 17, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
TillySmith
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by KK_Cat View Post
I'm also firmly in the "wouldn't be without a car" camp, I couldn't bear the thoughts of getting/waiting for buses. I wonder if a lot of that is down to what you are used to at home as we live in the country, drive everywhere and never get buses or taxis anywhere (there is no public transport available where we live). Lots and lots of people here on the DIBB swear by park/shuttle buses and taxis/uber but maybe if you are used to using public transport then they might not be a big deal.
Totally agree, we are rural (small hamlet) , I think our buses are about each hour during the day (I have not been on a bus in the UK for 30yrs I think !) We need our cars to get anywhere, hence could not be without one in Florida.

Pam
TillySmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
fatboytez
Very Serious Dibber

Another that wouldn't not hire a car love driving out there and after about a day so will you just take it easy and just gives you that for flexibility just hire a small one .
fatboytez is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
keeley78
Imagineer

keeley78's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
We're a bit of both, we like to hire a car but only for some of the holiday, we just don't need it for all of it, next year we're hiring one just for 3 days to take us to a few places further afield other than that we use the hotel shuttles to the parks & sometimes taxis
The lynx buses & itrolley are good & pretty cheap to get you up & down I drive
There's uber aswell, we've not used uber yet as they weren't around last time we were there but highly likely we will next year, we used mears taxis last time & they are very good
We, well DH as I don't drive, won't drive to restaurants like a lot of people as we like a drink or 2, if I did drive I wouldn't, i like my cocktails on holiday
I find parking charges extortionate aswell at the parks so wouldn't drive there as it soon mounts up plus again we like the option to have a nice cold beer if the mood takes

Rosen inn @ pointe May 2010, Rosen inn @ pointe & got married May 2011, Clarion inn LBV May 2012, Rosen international, RPR & Hilton Clearwater July/aug 2013
New York July 2016
Rosen @ pointe, Cabana Bay & All star sports Oct/ Nov 2018, New York July 2023
keeley78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List