Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Nov 21, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
cmpjdp
Imagineer

University clearing

We are doing the tours of universities at the moment. DS loves one in particular, he should walk the A levels, but I'm someone who needs a Plan B & C. If for any reason he didn't get the grades, how long does clearing take or is it didn't depending on each uni? Has anyone been though it and is it a long process?
Old 18 Nov 21, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

We have just gone through the UCAS process with our daughter starting uni in October, but no experience of clearing.

Your DS would have a firm choice and an insurance choice (the insurance choice would ideally be lower grade expectation then the firm choice).

If he doesn’t get the grades for his firm choice sometimes they will still accept. If they didn’t and he met the criteria for his insurance choice then he would get accepted there. If he didn’t want to go to his insurance then he would reject and go through clearing.

If I’ve got anything wrong I’m sure someone else with be along, also someone hopefully with clearing experience
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 12:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

We are just going through the same experience but in Ireland so can’t help with clearing! But ds was stuck on one choice and one only. We have convinced him to look at other places offering similar courses and to keep his options open. We have pointed out that the points (system used here in Ireland) are only indicative and they could have two candidates on same points with only one place and decide on other candidate. We now have a 2nd and 3rd choice (both of which are actually higher in points) but we are happy he has a back up plan, even if it isn’t needed. Maybe just try to convince him to keep his options open.
Oh and hugs - it is hard suddenly realising you have a child that is at this stage and that they might be about to fly the nest 😢
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
As I understand it clearing is pretty quick. We haven’t had to do it but like you I want a backup plan in place. From what I’ve heard from other students. They ring universities on results day and get an offer over the phone.

I’m thinking it would be a good idea to have a list of universities that she’d be happy to consider if need be. She didn’t take her GCSEs due to covid so we really have no idea how she is likely to do compared to her predicted grades.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 08:01 AM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Imagineer

[QUOTE=BevS97;15217813]As I understand it clearing is pretty quick. We haven’t had to do it but like you I want a backup plan in place. From what I’ve heard from other students. They ring universities on results day and get an offer over the phone.

That’s right about contacting individual Universities on results day to see if they would accept you. From what I understand you cannot guarantee that the course you want will be available and at the university you want. On results day all universities and courses in clearing are on the UCAS website.

I think it’s better to have the insurance choice as somewhere you would be happy to go it if you don’t get into your firm, choice.
kathrynmc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
[QUOTE=kathrynmc;15217863]
Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
As I understand it clearing is pretty quick. We haven’t had to do it but like you I want a backup plan in place. From what I’ve heard from other students. They ring universities on results day and get an offer over the phone.

That’s right about contacting individual Universities on results day to see if they would accept you. From what I understand you cannot guarantee that the course you want will be available and at the university you want. On results day all universities and courses in clearing are on the UCAS website.

I think it’s better to have the insurance choice as somewhere you would be happy to go it if you don’t get into your firm, choice.
Absolutely. But how low should you go with your insurance choice ?

Dd is predicted AAB. SHe hasn’t gou got her offers in yet. But assuming she gets some offers at AAB and some at ABB. should she turn down an insurance offer of ABB in favour of a uni that offers her BBB just in case?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

My son is in his second year at uni. He put his firm and insurance down on the basis of where he wanted to go - they both asked for A*AA. But during clearing the offers are nearly always reduced and in fact his course at his first choice went down to AAB I think in clearing so he would have got in with that I'm sure (he got better than he needed so we don't know).
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

apologies for jumping on this thread

my daughter will be in Y13 next year (from sept) is this about the time of year you visit uni's for open days etc and start applying?
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
apologies for jumping on this thread

my daughter will be in Y13 next year (from sept) is this about the time of year you visit uni's for open days etc and start applying?
My middle son is in Year 12 too. The open days were May - September (in Y12) when my oldest went but it may have changed with covid. My son has his name down to be emailed by his favourite as soon as open days are finalised so he can book a place. UCAS opens in September and forms have to be in by January (but my oldest applied early November and had 3 offers and an interview before Christmas).
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 21, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
My middle son is in Year 12 too. The open days were May - September (in Y12) when my oldest went but it may have changed with covid. My son has his name down to be emailed by his favourite as soon as open days are finalised so he can book a place. UCAS opens in September and forms have to be in by January (but my oldest applied early November and had 3 offers and an interview before Christmas).
Excellent thank you

this is all new to us... my daughters school seems on top of everything but good to know when these things happen

on a side note my daughter and iirc about 12 others in Y12 have been singled out as good uni prospects but from educationally disadvantaged house holds (or words to the effect) as neither me or my mrs went beyond Y11 in education. They get extra assistance & help with applications etc etc

seemingly universities are also quota'd to take x number of entrants from such backgrounds...
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List