Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 12 Jul 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
StevenC1872
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Sorry Steven

Not flown into SFB since 2008 but from what I've read on here you do go to the terminal desk and complete the "formalities" then you can go and select a car.

I'm only guessing though and to be on the safe side could I suggest you start a new thread in the car forum specifically asking what the Alamo process is at SFB.

Who have you hired through? Hopefully it will include all necessary insurances. Sadly the car included "free" with Tui is often under-insured. Just check that you have CDW with no excess and $1m SLI (extended liability)

Mick
I may do that Mick thanks.

I’ve booked with a company called Ramsey’s Travel here in Scotland, although the holiday is flying with TUI, we added the car on after we booked maybe a month down the line. So not sure if it’s with them, all I know is it’s definitely Alamo the car hire is with.
StevenC1872 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jul 20, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by StevenC1872 View Post
I may do that Mick thanks.

I’ve booked with a company called Ramsey’s Travel here in Scotland, although the holiday is flying with TUI, we added the car on after we booked maybe a month down the line. So not sure if it’s with them, all I know is it’s definitely Alamo the car hire is with.
Steven

It's worth checking the insurance levels because it has been known (many times on here sadly ) that if it's a Tui car it may be grossly underinsured. Just check the inclusions in the actual car hire agreement.

Alamo does have the best Sunpass toll system though which you'll trigger just by driving through the first toll on the 417. Assuming that you'll go that way rather than the I-4.

Mick
Old 15 Jul 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
StevenC1872
Trying for More Ears

Steven

It's worth checking the insurance levels because it has been known (many times on here sadly ) that if it's a Tui car it may be grossly underinsured. Just check the inclusions in the actual car hire agreement.

Alamo does have the best Sunpass toll system though which you'll trigger just by driving through the first toll on the 417. Assuming that you'll go that way rather than the I-4.

Mick
Hi Mick,

See on the tolls, how much do they usually cost? And do Alamo jus charge you this at the end of the rental?
StevenC1872 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 02:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hi Mick,

See on the tolls, how much do they usually cost? And do Alamo jus charge you this at the end of the rental?
Here you go Steve , THIS page will help re Alamo Sunpass charges. Of the Fl vehicle rental companies I believe Alamo offers the better Sunpass service @ $3.95 a day convenience charge to a max of $19.75, plus tolls (no convenience charge on rental days when you don't use a toll road), thereafter only toll charges are applied. Monies due are taken circa 4 weeks after rental end.

Steve, have you considered applying for a credit card offering interbank FX (highest rate), fee free purchases and cash withdrawals? We hold a Halifax Clarity apiece, using a WaWa garage ATM for surcharge free $ withdrawals. Whilst fee/surcharge free Halifax do charge interest from day of withdrawal, I clear the Ł equivalent via internet banking that same day.
Old 16 Jul 20, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hi Mick,

Hi Steven

Can't add much to ChrisS's reply but this site is very useful.

sunpass/en/about/whe...eSunPass.shtml

Home page shows all the toll roads in Florida including the few cashless ones. That's "cashless" where you have to use Sunpass (or a pre-paid transponder - but I won't go there as Sunpass so much easier ) and not "unmanned" as most on the ramps are.

Open up "traveller information" tab then "rental vehicles" will show how they charge. Except Avis which is still wrong.

From memory there's around six/seven tolls from SFB to the WDW area maybe a total of $8/$9.

Because all the highways authorities charge Alamo et al at different billing periods you may get the charges from Alamo to your account over a couple of transactions up to maybe 4/6 weeks after you return.

Mick

PS to develop your question a bit. The highest single charge I recall maybe $2.25/$2.50. The average on most main carriageways $1.50/$1.75. Exit (unmanned?) $1.00 which if paying cash you throw in the basket.

Edited at 10:05 AM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
StevenC1872
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Here you go Steve , THIS page will help re Alamo Sunpass charges. Of the Fl vehicle rental companies I believe Alamo offers the better Sunpass service @ $3.95 a day convenience charge to a max of $19.75, plus tolls (no convenience charge on rental days when you don't use a toll road), thereafter only toll charges are applied. Monies due are taken circa 4 weeks after rental end.

Steve, have you considered applying for a credit card offering interbank FX (highest rate), fee free purchases and cash withdrawals? We hold a Halifax Clarity apiece, using a WaWa garage ATM for surcharge free $ withdrawals. Whilst fee/surcharge free Halifax do charge interest from day of withdrawal, I clear the Ł equivalent via internet banking that same day.
Chris, I’ve got an EasyFX and a Caxton pre paid cards. I’ve tried for the traditional cards but never get accepted.

I’m hoping Alamo accept my debit card, it’s one of the big things I feel may go wrong before I’ve even started my holiday 😂

Thanks for the advice!
Old 16 Jul 20, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

To add to the previous posts, regarding tolls, we used the Visitor Toll Pass last year which was an absolute joy.

Simply hang a piece of cardboard from the rear view mirror and drive through the tolls like a local. You are then billed at a reduced rate on your chosen credit card. Dead easy and brilliant. Currently on hold I believe at the moment due to good ol' Covid but I imagine it will get reintroduced soon. Details here: visitortollpass/
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
To add to the previous posts, regarding tolls, we used the Visitor Toll Pass last year which was an absolute joy.

Simply hang a piece of cardboard from the rear view mirror and drive through the tolls like a local. You are then billed at a reduced rate on your chosen credit card. Dead easy and brilliant. Currently on hold I believe at the moment due to good ol' Covid but I imagine it will get reintroduced soon. Details here: visitortollpass/
I check it every day (sad I know ) and it's still suspended. Only from MCO as well though.

Mick

PS These stats may explain why it's still suspended. PAX in transit through MCO in May 2019 = 4.36m. In May 2020 = 369k

Edited at 04:47 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
StevenC1872
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Steven

Mick
I’ve had everything below confirmed in my agreement Mick, you reckon this is enough?

Unlimited Mileage
Collision Damage Waiver
1 Million USD Liability Cover
Local Sales Tax/es
State Tax
Airport Surcharges/Fees
Customer Facility Charge
Mechanical Assistance
Old 16 Jul 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
I’ve had everything below confirmed in my agreement Mick, you reckon this is enough?

Unlimited Mileage
Collision Damage Waiver
1 Million USD Liability Cover
Local Sales Tax/es
State Tax
Airport Surcharges/Fees
Customer Facility Charge
Mechanical Assistance
Yes they are the important ones.