Notices

Old 28 Aug 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Brummy
A Guest at All-Stars

What to do if Tropical Storm/Hurricane hits

Hello

We’re due to fly into Orlando on Friday with TUI. I’m watching with concern the news about Dorian. We’re staying in a villa and as we get closer to our flight, if the news is that Orlando is going to be hit, I’m looking for some thoughts on what we should do.

Would you fly in on Friday with the knowledge that a significant tropical storm or hurricane is due to hit on Monday? If we do fly in what steps should we take to prepare ourselves.

Feeling a little anxious
Brummy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
giggler
Excited about Disney

I think the biggest thing is not to worry, by the time these hit inland at Orlando they weaken significantly! having said that it will be windy beyond belief.
They can change direction on a sixpence and miss totally. Watch the local news and follow what they say, which is usually stay in doors and don't venture out.
You can spend so much time worrying about them and not enjoying your well unearned vacation with the mouse.
We used to go September every year for 15 years and have encountered some major hurricanes in our time, but it never put us off from booking for the next year.
Old 28 Aug 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

We were in Rotonda 2 years ago when hurricane Irma came through. It was pretty scary at times. The situation changes by the minute so we found the TV and the local text alert system were very helpful. If you do fly in stock up on obvious things like water and food you don't need to cook. There is a website called Bayou Renaissance Man which had lots of info on what to do and how to prepare. DH followed his advice and we were as ready as we could be. We were lucky as there was very little damage in the area we were in but it was a different story when we made it out to the main road where there were fully grown palm trees uprooted and advertising boards in pieces. Orlando being inland doesn't seem to get the worst of the damage from hurricanes.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Take with you ... battery packs so you can stay in touch.
Card games to keep you busy when stuck inside.
Fave cuddly toy for reassurance.

Enough food and water in power outage situation.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
priceclan
Getting Excited

nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/gra...oop?#wcontents

Edited at 09:14 PM.
priceclan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

A torch, wouldn't take up much room in your bag.
Are you flying from Birmingham? If yes could you let me know your experience as we are flying with them for the first time later in the year. Thanks
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
Oh no I didn't know anything about this. We were caught up in Irma 2 years ago and had to fly in a day early as our flight got cancelled. Lets hope its not too bad. x
Old 28 Aug 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Brummy
A Guest at All-Stars

Thanks for all the tips. I’m trying to stay calm and not worry about something I have no control over. We will see what the update is tomorrow. Battery packs and torch now on on the last minute shopping list .

Tomdan - yes we are flying from Birmingham. We did it last year too. Great flight on the Dreamliner into Sanford. Only our flight going through immigration, we were out in no time at all. Last year we were on a Tui package to the Yacht Club we didn’t have a car and used the transfer, I think it took about 45 minutes. I definitely prefer flying from Birmingham as it’s much closer to home and despite the fact that Sanford is a little further away I think we were probably at the hotel quicker than if we’d had to clear MCO. Definitely recommend
Brummy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Pearlygatesuk
Trading Disney Pins

Do as you’re told by the authorities and parks and you won’t go far wrong! We too were in Orlando during Irma, although we stayed on property, please be reassured that following hurricane Andrew in the 1980’s, building codes were dramatically improved for the often-hit Florida state so provided you listen to advice from local media and effectively prepare yourself to be without power for a few days, you will be just fine
Pearlygatesuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

From Wesh TV

Bottled water: one gallon of water per person per day

Canned food and soup, such as beans and chili

Can opener for the cans without the easy open lids

Assemble a first aid kit

2 weeks worth of prescription medications

Baby/children needs, such as formula and diapers

Flashlight and batteries

Battery operated weather radio
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List