Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Apr 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Cricut Machines

Morning everyone!

I know we have lots of talented crafted on the Dibb, so I’m hoping you can help.

Like lots of us, the lockdown has made me slow down and appreciate the little things a bit more, and one thing I could like to get into is crafting.

Specifically I’d like to do some scrapbooks of previous trips, make some cards, make some vinyl transfers for t-shirts etc and, if I can manage, I’ve seen some amazing paper wreaths (all over time of course).

I’ve been looking at Cricut, and reading on web pages, but I’m a bit overwhelmed. The newest/snazziest one seems to be the Air 2 - am I best getting that, because it’s the newest, or will something more basic do for me? Also, what are you “must have” accessories and where do you get all your supplies from?
Old 13 Apr 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

I've been intrigued with these recently and thinking of getting one but are there lots of extras that you have to buy too, like special paper and stuff like that? I've been decorating a lot of log slices over the lockdown as we had a couple of trees thinned a few months ago so have lots of branches and was wondering if I could do pictures/messages with the machine and then glue them onto the slices.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Its a minefield isn't it! I was also looking at the Silhouette Cameo 4, but it doesn't seem like they're as big over here as Cricut, so I would worry about getting accessories and supplies. I'm not a hugely frequent visitor to the US.

Your log slices sound interesting, have you got any photos?
Old 13 Apr 20, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
Its a minefield isn't it! I was also looking at the Silhouette Cameo 4, but it doesn't seem like they're as big over here as Cricut, so I would worry about getting accessories and supplies. I'm not a hugely frequent visitor to the US.

Your log slices sound interesting, have you got any photos?
For what I actually would like one of these machines I don't think I'll get any value from it, I was thinking about putting messages on them, DD is going to a Wedding in August and I thought I could put the Bride and Groom's names on it along with the date and a cute picture but it is a lot of money just to produce a few gifts like this.

Here's a couple of pictures of stuff I've done, the second one is decoupage

Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

mine's over 8 years old and haven't used it for years now, even though I have thousands of pounds in cartridges for it, including quite a few Disney ones. I'm just a lazy scrapbooker / crafter these days and mostly just mat my photo's on patterned paper.
One day I hope I'll get back into more creative scrapping and start to use them again as it was a really good tool, and the newer machines look amazing.
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm getting one for my birthday in a few weeks and I'm super excited. Air 2 isn't the newest/snazziest. The "fanciest" and "newest" is the Maker. But it largely depends on the materials you want to be able to cut, the Maker as more downward pressure, so can cut material, leather and soft wood, so you can make things like advent trees, wooden houses, wooden signs etc.
If you only want paper craft/vinyl then an Air 2 is cheaper and will do just as good a job, if you want the ability to craft with other materials, I think you potentially would want to, then get a Maker.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post

If you have more questions feel free to inbox me, I've done a *lot* of research for months to figure out what machine and accessories I need so feel like a bit of a pro at this point.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

I’ve got a lot of craft equipment including a Cricut, but I get far more use out of my Gemini. It will depend on what you want to do, and I decided I couldn’t justify a new Cricut, so I bought one second hand several years ago. I only have one cartridge and use it occasionally, but did use it last week to cut some balloon shapes to make some card confetti. I’m more into card making and find the Gemini suits me much better and the dies are much cheaper than the cartridges.
Old 15 Apr 20, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by iLaura View Post
I'm getting one for my birthday in a few weeks and I'm super excited. Air 2 isn't the newest/snazziest. The "fanciest" and "newest" is the Maker. But it largely depends on the materials you want to be able to cut, the Maker as more downward pressure, so can cut material, leather and soft wood, so you can make things like advent trees, wooden houses, wooden signs etc.
If you only want paper craft/vinyl then an Air 2 is cheaper and will do just as good a job, if you want the ability to craft with other materials, I think you potentially would want to, then get a Maker.
Originally Posted by iLaura View Post
If you have more questions feel free to inbox me, I've done a *lot* of research for months to figure out what machine and accessories I need so feel like a bit of a pro at this point.
Thanks for this. I joined the UK Cricut Creators and Cricut for Beginners groups on Facebook, and that's been really interesting.

I am leaning towards the maker, as I love some of the wood things you can make, and feel like I'd want to try that if I could get the hang of it.

My biggest worry is spending the money and then not using it. I'm not naturally arty - think stick men - but I made my own wedding invitations, so I can do it if I have a plan to follow. I also don't do a lot of crafting at the moment, but I want to.

On the Facebook groups there's lots of talk about Hochanda, who are a home shopping channel for crafting, and offer a 20% discount and a flexipay thing. Apparently they've got a bundle offer on the 21st as well, so going to have a look at that.
Old 15 Apr 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’ve just bought an air 2 from hobby craft online . I can’t wait for it to come and I pondered but this fits best for what I need ( I think) . I’d love the Disney cartridges but can’t find them to buy .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List