Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 7 Aug 20, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We watched over three nights and thought it was great.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Watched it and loved it, another one who loves Klaus 🥰
Old 7 Aug 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

Another for Klaus here! He was brilliant this series (and Number 5 too).
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Another Klaus fan, he's the best! S2 was brilliant, just over too quickly.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Still only part way through season 2, albeit nearing the end, but I have a couple of questions...

At the end of season 1, Five sent them all back in time to their younger selves. However, at the beginning of season 2 it seems they went back to the 1960s still as adults. What happened there?

At the beginning of season 2, Five saw Russian soldiers attacking Americans in Dallas just before the nukes went off. What were Russian soldiers doing in Dallas? And how did they get there? Why were they there if the Russians were about to launch nuclear warheads at America?

Why is it that although Diego has the power to control knives in flight, he often seems to miss?

Why isn't Klaus seeing lots of dead people like he was in season 1? That's what originally caused him to turn to drugs and yet now it doesn't seem to be an issue. In fact, the only dead person he sees in season 2 seems to be Ben.

Although I'm enjoying it, I don't think this season is quite as good as the first season.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

1. He messed up again- the first time he went to the future he got stuck in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, the first time he managed to jump back he returned to his teenage body. Throughout season 2 Five learns that his powers work best when he only takes small jumps, not big flashy ones.

2. This becomes clear by the penultimate episode- basically, events happen in Dallas that the Americans believe to be a Soviet attack, suddenly the US is at war with Russia and there are troops on the streets and nukes in the air.

3. Certain characters have to be immune to flying knives for plot reasons. This is known as “plot armour”- Diego can’t kill his father with a knife throw in the 1960s or The Umbrella Academy wouldn’t exist, so he has to miss, even though it’s not in keeping with his character. I’m not sure why he misses random goons but his powers are probably impacted by his emotions (this is true for most of the Umbrella kids)

4. Perhaps spending three years as a cult leader (meditating, being worshipped and having loads of sex) chilled him out a bit 😂 and gave him more control over his powers. Or maybe Ben’s presence keeps malevolent ghosts away? Netflix probably didn’t want to spend their SFX budget on random background ghosts.

Edited at 07:54 AM.
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by StorybookCircus View Post
1. He messed up again- the first time he went to the future he got stuck in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, the first time he managed to jump back he returned to his teenage body. Throughout season 2 Five learns that his powers work best when he only takes small jumps, not big flashy ones.
It's not about how good Five is at controlling his powers - my question was one of continuity.

At the very end of season 1 I thought we saw him transport everyone into their teenage bodies back in the 90s (or thereabouts).

Whereas at the beginning of this season they aren't in their teenage bodies and instead they got transported to separate times in the 60s as adults.

The two depictions don't agree with one another.

I get the impression the writers originally planned the second season to be more about them as kids, then they abandoned that idea, and completely retconned / ignored what happened at the end of season 1.

2. This becomes clear by the penultimate episode- basically, events happen in Dallas that the Americans believe to be a Soviet attack, suddenly the US is at war with Russia and there are troops on the streets and nukes in the air.
I get that the Americans think it was a Soviet attack, go to war with Russia and that starts World War 3. But how the heck does Russia get troops to Dallas? It's right in the middle of USA miles away from the coast.

Also, whilst at war with America, why would Russia choose to send troops into the heart of America when it's about to send nuclear bombs there? Seems a bit pointless.

3. Certain characters have to be immune to flying knives for plot reasons. This is known as “plot armour”- Diego can’t kill his father with a knife throw in the 1960s or The Umbrella Academy wouldn’t exist, so he has to miss, even though it’s not in keeping with his character. I’m not sure why he misses random goons but his powers are probably impacted by his emotions (this is true for most of the Umbrella kids)
I get why he couldn't kill his father for plot reasons. Although at least he could've injured his father but not severely.

But this season none of his knives have hit anyone (well, except for in that initial scene in the first episode). Like you say, his knives haven't even taken out any random goons. It's like this season, his power is now the ability to miss people.

(My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, btw. Diego misses more than he hits, which doesn't seem like much of a superpower to me)

4. Perhaps spending three years as a cult leader (meditating, being worshipped and having loads of sex) chilled him out a bit 😂 and gave him more control over his powers. Or maybe Ben’s presence keeps malevolent ghosts away? Netflix probably didn’t want to spend their SFX budget on random background ghosts.
It's clear that they aren't bothering much on SFX for Ben. They could at least have a few additional actors playing dead characters talking to Klaus now and again. No SFX needed.

A little bit of exposition explaining why Klaus is no longer troubled by ghosts (and thus no longer feels the need to retreat into a drug-induced stupor) would've been nice.

Again, I suspect the writers didn't want to explore that aspect from season 1 any more and so just ignored it. Been there, done that, I guess. They swapped ghosts out for cult followers instead.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DizzyDisneyMum
Excited about Disney

Nimbus, I get the feeling that maybe you're taking it a bit too seriously?
It is based on a comic book and the fact that they aren't perfect is part of its appeal.
I would just sit back and enjoy the rest of the series 🙂
Sorry, just to add that this was written with a smile, not seriously. It is a fabulous programme, but they're not hot on their plot continuity 😀

Edited at 11:50 PM.
DizzyDisneyMum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Just finished S2; set up nicely for S3; loved it.
scooby99 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by DizzyDisneyMum View Post
Nimbus, I get the feeling that maybe you're taking it a bit too seriously?
It is based on a comic book and the fact that they aren't perfect is part of its appeal.
I would just sit back and enjoy the rest of the series 🙂
Sorry, just to add that this was written with a smile, not seriously. It is a fabulous programme, but they're not hot on their plot continuity 😀
Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the series. It is fabulous. I was simply wondering whether there was an explanation for these anomalies rather than "lack of plot continuity". Sounds like there isn't; its just sloppy writing.

As a big comic book fan, the fact that its based on a comic book is no real excuse. You can have bizarre and weird ideas/themes whilst still avoiding plot inconsistencies.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~