Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 22 May 18, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
nick.66
Getting Excited

Heading up to the Panhandle

Hi, we're flying to Orlando at the end of September and spending the first night near Oldtown. After that we are heading up to Destin on the Panhadle. Has any one got any recommendations for things to do up there. Dw and Dd are olympic standard shoppers so would look for a good mall in the area to waste a few hours and a lot of dollars. The beaches look amazing was also thinking of visiting the state capital Talahasse. Any other suggestions would be greatfully appreciated thanks.
nick.66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Never been to the Panhandle but how about the town of Seaside?

The Jim Carrey film 'The Truman show' was filmed there; many thought it was filmed on a movie set as it just looked too much like a perfect beach town with perfect streets and perfect houses etc; an entire town couldn't be that lovely, right?

Well, it was filmed in a real town; Seaside!

If you've been to & liked Celebration, it sounds like Seaside makes Celebration look like the ugly sister!

Edited at 10:28 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I went a few years back, it was great. I stayed in San Destin which is a great place, with a nice Boardwalk area with all restaurants and attractions around it. San Destin has great restaurants. We rented a small house from a guy whose in charge of the NASA Mars program. Came with its own golf cart too. Great fun riding around San Destin on that.
Definately go to Seaside, one of the nicest towns I've been to, stunning really. Turquoise seas, food trucks in town square.
I'll go back.

Edited at 10:44 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 18, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
lossieglen
Very Serious Dibber

Would recommend Destin and surrounding area; we last stayed in Fort Walton Beach in a rented villa.

The beach is great and there are loads of water experiences to be had.

It has all the usual suspects in terms of holiday offerings bar the big parks.

Shopping- yup I had to endure the 120 plus outlet mall on more than one occasion.

If you fancy day trips out you can head north and west to discover other town, villages etc.

My fav day trip was to Foley, Alabama and yes to the outlet mall. This also included a visit to Lamberts ‘Home of the throwed roll’. They throw your food at you from a distance (just the roll). It was a hoot.

throwedrolls/

Edited at 10:57 AM.
lossieglen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
nick.66
Getting Excited

Thanks for the replies it has given me food for thought literally!
nick.66 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Pepsibubbles
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lossieglen View Post
Would recommend Destin and surrounding area; we last stayed in Fort Walton Beach in a rented villa.

The beach is great and there are loads of water experiences to be had.

It has all the usual suspects in terms of holiday offerings bar the big parks.

Shopping- yup I had to endure the 120 plus outlet mall on more than one occasion.

If you fancy day trips out you can head north and west to discover other town, villages etc.

My fav day trip was to Foley, Alabama and yes to the outlet mall. This also included a visit to Lamberts ‘Home of the throwed roll’. They throw your food at you from a distance (just the roll). It was a hoot.

throwedrolls/
My Family live there and we have been a few times Lovely place and Lamberts Cafe is lovely Tangler Outlet mall has a good selection of shops, also maybe Check out a place called OWA its not fully open wasn't in November and wasn't last week, but maybe when you go it will be It has a funfair , shops , and Wahlburgers thats what we go there for We stay on Orange Beach which is a lovely area and The Ruby Slipper is a must for breakfast if you do head that way
February... 2011/2012/2015... May ... 2013/2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019... June ... 2014...August ... 2009/2010/2011/2014/2017... September.. 2002/2003/2005/2013/2014/2015/2016/2018/2019... November ... 2017/2018
Pepsibubbles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 18, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I can 2nd the outlet mall, it is off the 10 at 331 junction going south towards Santa Rosa Beach.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List