Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jun 18, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

shopping in Tokyo - tax free is easy!

Hi,

Just back from a quick work trip to Tokyo. The weather was warm and wet and windy (which is why I don't recommend June - it is a wet month).

Whilst there I went to BIC camera shop (branches everywhere, I went to Yurachuko). I bought some Bose qc35 headphones for £225 (should be £329 in U.K.) it reminded me that you can usually get bargains at BIC or it's rival Yodabashi - and they will price match. Especially good for cameras and lenses but also for most small electricals.
Tax free shopping is very easy because they give the discount there and then - you don't have to fill out forms or anything, just make sure that you have your passport with you.

I also went to the flagship MUJI shop for the first time - I really enjoyed it, its like Japanese IKEA, there is a restaurant, food shop, clothes and loads of household necessities!

Every time I visit Japan I am struck by how cheap food is - for example, I had a lovely big bowl of ramen, some gyoza and a small beer for less than £10.
The night before I had rice bowl, tempura, miso and a beer for about the same price. Of course there are expensive places, but the average salaryman yakitori or ramen spots are really great.

Hope that helps someone,

Edited at 07:26 PM.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 18, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Hi,

Just back from a quick work trip to Tokyo. The weather was warm and wet and windy (which is why I don't recommend June - it is a wet month).

Whilst there I went to BIC camera shop (branches everywhere, I went to Yurachuko). I bought some Bose qc35 headphones for £225 (should be £329 in U.K.) it reminded me that you can usually get bargains at BIC or it's rival Yodabashi - and they will price match. Especially good for cameras and lenses but also for most small electricals.
Tax free shopping is very easy because they give the discount there and then - you don't have to fill out forms or anything, just make sure that you have your passport with you.

I also went to the flagship MUJI shop for the first time - I really enjoyed it, its like Japanese IKEA, there is a restaurant, food shop, clothes and loads of household necessities!

Every time I visit Japan I am struck by how cheap food is - for example, I had a lovely big bowl of ramen, some gyoza and a small beer for less than £10.
The night before I had rice bowl, tempura, miso and a beer for about the same price. Of course there are expensive places, but the average salaryman yakitori or ramen spots are really great.

Hope that helps someone,

Thank you, that's really helpful
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the info - the tax free shopping, is that how they do it in all stores you want to (there and then) or just the one you describe? Alas my Japanese skills will not allow me to ask about price matching so would have to hope for someone who spoke English.

Ramen - on paper it should be something I would love as it is meat / noodles / broth at its core, but am (firstly) a stick in the mud / does not try new food type person, but also the ones I have seen in YT videos for example - the pork ones have lovely slices of pork in there, but with huge pieces of fat on the meat.

Am sure it adds to the flavour but eating that sort of visible fat is just not something I want to do. Would I be causing great offence if I picked the fat off with my fingers etc?
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Thanks for the info - the tax free shopping, is that how they do it in all stores you want to (there and then) or just the one you describe? Alas my Japanese skills will not allow me to ask about price matching so would have to hope for someone who spoke English.

Ramen - on paper it should be something I would love as it is meat / noodles / broth at its core, but am (firstly) a stick in the mud / does not try new food type person, but also the ones I have seen in YT videos for example - the pork ones have lovely slices of pork in there, but with huge pieces of fat on the meat.

Am sure it adds to the flavour but eating that sort of visible fat is just not something I want to do. Would I be causing great offence if I picked the fat off with my fingers etc?
Hi
I'm pretty sure that they all do it at the counter, rather than by forms. When I was in Norway recently it was a real faff and the company processing the tax refunds took half in commission - in Japan it is very simple. They will display tax free signs prominently in tourist areas/large cities.
In my experience there is always someone who speaks English - there are lots of US/UK and Aus visitors and ex pats around so many shop assistants will help or find a colleague who can. You can easily price check on your phone and show them (or a show a screen print if you won't have mobile data). Typically you get 8% tax off and in places like BIC they often have promotions offering a further 5-7% discount.

Re food in general I can't really help too much - firstly, I am the opposite and willing to try anything and secondly I am often at work dinners where it would cause HUGE offence.

In an informal ramen bar you would be fine and I wouldn't expect that much visible fat - I have never noticed it. Its usually 2 or 3 finely sliced pieces. You could also order ramen without pork - often it has 1/2 boiled egg on it and other topping options. Don't try to eat ramen delicately - its all in the chopstick slurp! Many times you can order from a 'vending machine' outside of the cafe and then just take your ticket/receipt inside to get the food and eat - that gives you a bit more time to peruse the choices. Ramen street in Tokyo station will offer great choices.
My favourite informal Japanese foods are Ramen, Tempura, Gyoza, Yakitori and of course, Katsu (pork cutlet breaded and fried and served with Japanese curry and rice). I also love buying a bento box or ekiben at a station - but its v hard to work out whats in it - just try each thing to see if you like it.
You will also find starbucks, subway, mcdonalds, taco bell etc if you get really stuck and need western food.
However, overall I would say, relax - you won't eat anything that'll kill you and its all part of the experience... who wants to go to another country and eat what they would at home?
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Hi
I'm pretty sure that they all do it at the counter, rather than by forms. When I was in Norway recently it was a real faff and the company processing the tax refunds took half in commission - in Japan it is very simple. They will display tax free signs prominently in tourist areas/large cities.
In my experience there is always someone who speaks English - there are lots of US/UK and Aus visitors and ex pats around so many shop assistants will help or find a colleague who can. You can easily price check on your phone and show them (or a show a screen print if you won't have mobile data). Typically you get 8% tax off and in places like BIC they often have promotions offering a further 5-7% discount.

Re food in general I can't really help too much - firstly, I am the opposite and willing to try anything and secondly I am often at work dinners where it would cause HUGE offence.

In an informal ramen bar you would be fine and I wouldn't expect that much visible fat - I have never noticed it. Its usually 2 or 3 finely sliced pieces. You could also order ramen without pork - often it has 1/2 boiled egg on it and other topping options. Don't try to eat ramen delicately - its all in the chopstick slurp! Many times you can order from a 'vending machine' outside of the cafe and then just take your ticket/receipt inside to get the food and eat - that gives you a bit more time to peruse the choices. Ramen street in Tokyo station will offer great choices.
My favourite informal Japanese foods are Ramen, Tempura, Gyoza, Yakitori and of course, Katsu (pork cutlet breaded and fried and served with Japanese curry and rice). I also love buying a bento box or ekiben at a station - but its v hard to work out whats in it - just try each thing to see if you like it.
You will also find starbucks, subway, mcdonalds, taco bell etc if you get really stuck and need western food.
However, overall I would say, relax - you won't eat anything that'll kill you and its all part of the experience... who wants to go to another country and eat what they would at home?
Thanks for the info on the tax free, and the further stuff on the food.

I was perhaps overly harsh on my food state, for example I like prawn, chicken and thin cuts of beef, and enjoy Tempura, Gyoza at places like Wagamama.

I have been watching a few YouTube videos and it is in a Ramen place in one of those video I saw it with a large piece of fat across the top end of a slice. Slurping is the key to enjoying I agree,that too was made clear in the vids lol

Am not going to go all that way to eat at KFC etc - I will not starve
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List