wizzo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Arrow Rammed 2017 (I'm so shiny) Day 14

Day Fourteen - 29th August 2017

The index is HERE

Today began at 7am, let’s just hope it is better than yesterday! (Spoiler Alert - It was). After yesterday’s game of bumper cars, I had a lot to do today getting a new car sorted. I began the day by ringing Dollar and making sure they had all the documentation they needed and informed them that I would be turning up at Tampa International and wanted another convertible. They rang the airport and confirmed that they had a convertible that had just been returned so they would need an hour to clean it and get it ready to go back out. I was happy with that.

We decided that it was now or never for kayaking as the weather (while not perfect) was better than it had been over the last few days. It was partly cloudy when we got there, I gave the bloke in the shack a few bucks, signed my life away on an insurance waiver form and off we went.

We opted for two double kayaks as the kids couldn’t be trusted not to either fall in or paddle over to Mexico. I drew the short straw and got Maddy (I’m joking! Ish)

You’re kayaking on what is best described as the lagoon in-between the barrier island and the mainland. The banks are thick mangrove and the water is as flat as a witch’s ‘what not’ because of it being on the inside of the barrier. It’s salt water although you would think it was a fresh water pond when you’re paddling about. Our quarry was Manatee mainly.

We chose an hour long rental although you could have had longer. You would need longer to explore all the water available to you too. You get a map and it has numbered marker posts so you know where you are (these were no help to Lynn as she’s bloody useless with maps).

About 20 minutes into paddling a dirty black cloud was approaching. Lynn asked if I thought it was going to rain. I censored myself slightly but confirmed that I thought we were going to get wee wee’d on.

Sure enough, the heavens opened. We had nothing waterproof (not that it would have mattered it was bouncing off the water.

It didn’t last long but we were drenched. This isn’t the first time us or many of you have been soaking wet in Florida (steady ladies) so we just got on with it.

Maddy and I were loving it. Her paddling wasn’t brilliant but I compensated. We were a bit short on Manatee sightings but did see some wildlife.

Half an hours paddling in and when we really needed to turn around for the return journey we spotted a couple of dolphins, me and Maddy paddled straight over to where they were. They were a little bit elusive but we did get a good look at them.

When I turned around however Lynn and Lauren were half way back to the hut! It turns out that although Lynn adores dolphins, being in a tiny boat in a massive body of water with them wasn’t her thing so she legged it!
Half an hour later (and still with no Manatee sightings) we got back to the launch site and pulled our kayaks out. While the weather was a bit iffy again, this was a great thing to do for an hour. We will be returning in the future for sure. Maybe not with Lynn, she’ll be sunbathing.

Turns out Lauren loved the kayaking too and didn’t have much say in Lynn paddling like mad back to the shack. So she’s mad keen on doing it again too.

Slightly moist, we set off for the airport to get rid of the Mustang and get a new one.

On arrival at the normal airport drop off point I had a single one page form to fill in (which I did so leaning on the smashed boot) and then handed it back. It took no more than two minutes.

We then went to the pickup booth to get a replacement and guess what? They didn’t have any Mustang’s only a Camaro again with its smaller boot. We took it though as a) The weather was rubbish and b) We would be heading for home soon up the interstates with the roof up anyway.

Also………….the Camaro is loads better than that hairdresser’s car of a Mustang! 😊

Here is the new one back at the hotel.

We went back to the hotel, got changed and headed straight for Adventure Island water park at Busch Gardens (it was part of our Busch Gardens ticket). When we got there it was spitting and the woman said the slides were currently down but the pools were open. We chanced it as we couldn’t come back another day anyway.

We got a pitch inside and before long everything was back open again. The usual water park fun was had.

I’ve condensed 2-3 hours into 7 photos there. You’ve all been to waterparks. You know the drill.

Having said that, Adventure Island is rubbish compared to the waterparks of Orlando so don’t waste your money unless you get a free day thrown in. The kids and Lynn (not me) did say that some of the big raft rides and slides were really good and I did quite like the cliff jumping.

Our day ended here because of….you’ve guessed it…….the rain. It chucked it down again, all slides and pools closed, so we exited.

We were back at home by 3pm and the Camaro was in one piece which is always a bonus. On the drive home I saw a billboard advertising baseball at Tropicana Field tonight. I didn’t get chance to read it properly because I was driving and didn’t think any more of it until we got back and saw an advert on TV too. Because of hurricane Harvey in Texas, the Rangers had switched their game with the Astros tonight to Tropicana Field instead! The rest of the family didn’t know at this point but we were having a bit of that later! It won’t rain inside The Trop!

Before I broke the news about tonight’s entertainment, we had an hour at the beach. They don’t close beaches because of a bit of rain and the threat of lightening.

Grey it might have been but we had a ton of fun. It was warm and still a lot better than being at home! The highlight was Lauren getting wiped out yet again by a wave in that stupid flamingo.

Back at the hotel and looking out over grey skies, I suggested we go to the baseball for dinner and take in the game. Everyone jumped at the chance thankfully.

I emailed my Dad to tell him we were going to the game and to watch in on MLB TV and see if he could spot us (he didn’t).

All seats were just $10 each and there were no reservations, just turn up, buy one and sit in a seat.

Make no mistake, tonight was a stroke of luck, it was ‘premier league’ baseball for £7 a seat. We picked a lovely spot behind the first base dugout in seats which would have been $100+ and got some food.

That’s the smallest slice of Papa John’s pizza ever according to Maddy, if you are wondering!

The game was great, the atmosphere was good for the trop as a lot of people made the trip from Texas by car and all proceeds were going to the disaster fund. The beer was cold too.

Apologies for all the baseball photos. I like baseball.

We even made it on the JumboTron (ask your Dad) because of Maddy’s excellent dancing. It ended up a comfortable win for the Ranger 12-2.

We had an absolutely brilliant night. A real bonus to this trip. If you’ve never been to the baseball, even if you don’t like sport, please go. It’s a great evening (or afternoon) out.

Straight home after the game. In bed for 11pm and sound asleep soon after.

Tomorrow – The road trip back to Georgia

2023 Trip Report - COMPLETE HERE

My old trip reports are all HERE

wizzo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good day with lots of different things achieved

Joan
Old 16 Jun 18, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Milner
Imagineer

Great day, did a baseball game a couple of years ago was great.
Hampton Lakes - October 2007, The Hamlets, Westhaven - July/August 2009, The Sanctuary, Westhaven - July/August 2012, Dibb Villa Highgate Park & 1 night at HRH - July 2015 2017 6 nights NY, 11 nights in Florida Dibb villa, Westhaven, Xmas 2018 Villa 1 night RPR 2019 7 nights in New York, 2020 Dibb Villa booked in Highlands, 3 nights in Cape Coral
Milner is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

What a great day! I’d love to go to the baseball but I fear my husband and kids would not be as pleased. Hmmm.
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
flo-tinka
Apprentice Imagineer

Packed day
Baseball looks fun (we just need to understand the rules)
flo-tinka is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

My DH is s huge baseball fan with Texas bring his team! We’ve been to Tropicana Fuekds but to my shame I can’t remember who we saw!

You’ve really been unlucky with the weather on this trip.
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 18, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mouselover22
Imagineer

Love that the rain doesn't dampen your spirits

Your making me want to watch a Baseball game now even though i find watching sport boring
Old 19 Jun 18, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sounds a great day loads packed in
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 18, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
What a bonus getting to see the baseball and at such a fantastic price.

Good day again.

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List