Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 31 Jul 17, 01:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

31 Days 31 Burgers

Introduction
I am something of a creature of habit and know what I like. In Italian restaurants it has to be carbonara, whereas in Indian ones it is a korma. I also enjoy a burger and freely admit it, so this is often the choice made in pubs. But let's face it, places do the same thing in many different ways, and I am not indisposed to trying new things. For example, I might have tagliatte one time and penne the next!

For our latest holiday I have set a little challenge or perhaps it is more of a record keeping exercise. The rules are simple. 1 burger a day for the entire duration of the holiday. Multiple burgers can be consumed on one day. Each burger patty counts so a double burger would be counted as two. Oh, and we are away for 31 nights... just to make it a little more challenging.

So let's see what we have got. I will be looking to update this thread through the month. We also took a rather circuitous route to Orlando as you will see.
Madfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 01:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

Day One

Day 1. Monday 24/7
Burger number 1 and 2.

Beefeater Heald Green. We were staying overnight here before our first flight from Manchester. I choose this hotel as knew the Beefeater was attached and was much better than the options offered at the Premier Inns on Runger Lane.

Double cheese and bacon burger. £11.99

The burger was hot and generally tasted fresh although a little dry/well done especially the bacon. So a little disappointing. I recall a great burger her a couple of years ago before our last trip but they no longer serve that one. It came with fries and coleslaw. Nothing remarkable to say about these.

Rating. 5/10

Edited at 01:45 AM.
Madfish is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 01:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

Day Two - Part 1

Day 2. Tuesday 25/7
Burger number 3

First Class Lounge, Heathrow. The first part of our journey took us from Manchester to Dublin via Heathrow and we had around three hours for our connecting flight. As such I headed into the lounge where I was able to order a burger from the menu. I've had a number of these in the past so knew what to expect.

BA burger with cheese and Bacon. Free. (Even better!)

The picture makes it look a fairly small portion as is the tendency with served meals in the lounge. To start with the chips were a bit cold and limp. Not good. The burger itself was hot and tasty although the bacon was less so and could have gone with a moment longer. The pretzel style bun is s decent option. Overall the appearance was not great and let down by the chips. Probably the worst burger I've had in the lounge.

Rating 4/10

Edited at 02:12 AM.
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

Day Two - Part 2

Day 2. Tuesday 25/7
Burger number 4 and 5

McDonald's near PremierInn Dublin Airport. Following our arrival in Dublin we were booked for one night into the PremierInn near the airport. We wanted something simple so just wandered across to the McDonald's across the road. It can be somewhat pricey compared to U.K. I opted for the following:

Cheeseburger happy meal with extra cheeseburger. €6.20

Not much to say about this. Very much same as usual. Tasted fairly fresh and filled a gap but no wow factor. Happy meal was cheaper than buying separate but certainly more expensive than UK were we would have paid about £3.58 for everything so scores low in the value for money stakes.

Rating 4/10

Edited at 02:12 AM.
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

Day 3, 4 and 5.

No burgers! We flew from Dublin to Boston back through Heathrow before flying on to Orlando the next day. Day 5 was spent at Magic Kingdom with a great breakfast at Crystal Palace. Despite 3 burger free days I am still on target for a burger a day. We are off to Animal Kingdom on Day 6, so will see what delights Rainforest Cafe can offer at lunchtime. I know what I have my eye on.
Old 31 Jul 17, 01:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

Day Six - Part 1

Day 6. Saturday 29th July.
Burger number 6 and 7.

A trip to Rainforest Café was always planned for today, and as much as 8am breakfast at Crystal Palace on our first day is tradition, lunch at Rainforest Café on our second at Animal Kingdom is another one. We arrived later than planned (travel with a baby and an 8 year old going on 13 was never gpoing to be smooth) so did not do as much as planned. To top it all off, we had declined Fast Passes for Kali River Rapids as did not want to be wet eating lunch. We did decide to go on Primeval Whirl, and just as we sat down the heavens opened. We were trapped and emerged as drowned rats. In fact it would have been less cruel to drown some rats. We were certainly soggy when we made our way into RFC.

The Beastly Burger. $19.99 (included on DDP.)

A double patty so counts as two. Was given the preference of how I liked it cooked. Being a creature of habit and one who likes to play it safe I went for well done. As it was it was slightly pink. It was very moist, perhaps a little greasy. The bun was fresh and the cheese was plentiful. Chips were served and these were hot and tasty. Would have liked a little side of coleslaw but begrudged paying $4 for some. Did manage to polish off the plate. Fair to say it was the best burger so far despite the slightly 'moist' burger.

Rating 7/10

Edited at 02:11 AM.
Old 31 Jul 17, 02:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Madfish
Imagineer

Day Six - Part 2

Day 6. Saturday 29 July.
Burger number 8.

The Paddock Grill, SSR. Being our anniversary I decided to push the boat out tonight and treat us to a slap up meal from The Paddock Grill at the resort. There was only one thing for it:

1/3rd lb Angus bacon cheeseburger. $12.49 (included on QS)

Very much as expected. It contained beef, bacon, cheese and a bun. Was accompanied with a very generous portion of fries. Took the whole lot back to the room as we are literally 30 seconds away. Hit the spot and would keep me going to the next morning. It would have to - we were having brunch at California Grill. Did switch the drink included in the price quoted above for a Mickey Ice Cream Bar.
Rating 6/10

Edited at 02:10 AM.
Old 31 Jul 17, 02:18 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

This post has made me smile as so far we have been here six days and my DS16 has had a burger every day. One each from the following:-
Five guys, Burger King, McDonald's, Big Pink-Miami, an Italian restaurant Segafreddo-Miami and Ford's garage in Cape Coral, DH, DD13 and myself are all vegetarian so think he's quite relieved he's getting his burger fix!
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Gerddon
Excited about Disney

My kind of trip report, I often have to stop myself getting a burger every meal.

But am I reading that right, you went from Gatwick to Dublin to Boston to Gatwick to Orlando in 4 Days? Wow, your body clock must have been spinning

Edited at 07:30 AM.
Gerddon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jul 17, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
missdopey
Imagineer

I love this! Can't wait to follow this 😂

ASMo, ASMu x4, SSR x2, BLT x 4, CSR, POLY, AKL x 4, BC x 4, BWV, CC, OKW
DVC MEMBER - BLT & SSR
missdopey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List