Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 12 Aug 17, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

You've got a friend in Me(d) - Day 8 - Civitavecchia/Rome

Day 8 - Civitavecchia/Rome

Today was a day I had really been looking forward to. I’ve always wanted to go to Rome, but never quite made it.

Breakfast this morning was at Cabanas again.

Yes that is two waffles on my plate.

The view with breakfast.

Today we were docking in Civitavecchia. Last night in the navigator it said we had to take our passports with us. This was the only port where we had to do this, the rest of the time I took my driving licence and a photocopy of my passport.

We were off to explore Rome today. Big group tours aren’t really our thing and we wanted to be able to explore Rome on our own at our own pace, like we would do in other European cities. Disney offered ‘Rome on your own’ which was just coach transport to Rome and back. For this, they wanted $99 per person. This was not in the budget, so I started exploring some other options.

In the end, we booked a coach transfer through Viator. They are the booking agent and they book with local companies. This cost £25 per person which was much more reasonable. They normally have 10% off vouchers as well.

We disembarked the ship early so we had plenty of time to suss out where the coach would be departing from. It said meet at 8.45am for a 9am departure, and it would leave without latecomers.

We needn’t have worried, we disembarked quickly and got on one of the coaches directly outside the ship that took us about a 5 minute drive. This was an area where lots of coaches were picking up people for excursions. It was also the same place Carnival/other ships dropped off. We were there around 8am, so very early! Our coach/driver wasn’t there yet. Just before 8.45am he turned up and we checked in and proceeded to wait. Annoyingly, one group was late and we had to stay and wait for them, which irritated me when the paperwork was quite clear about allowing plenty of time.

There was also a bit of confusion about where we were getting on the coach.

Anyway, we were soon on our way. We could see the ship from the window.

The drive time to Rome is around 1 hour 15 minutes. The coach stopped half way through for a restroom break – is this really needed on such a short journey?

We arrived in Rome around 10.45am. It turned out we were the only people on the coach who were doing Rome ‘on your own’. Everyone else had bought Vatican admission as part of the trip.

The drop off point was right by the Vatican, where we would be picked up on as well. We checked with the guide where this was on the map. He made it clear he wasn’t impressed we were going off on our own!

However, I bought our Vatican tickets before we left home. We proceeded to walk straight in to the museums (skipping the long lines) and even after a restroom stop ended up in front of the group from the coach!

On a dress code related note. I know we needed to be dressed appropriately for at least part of the museums – this turned out to just be the Sistine Chapel.

I wore a dress but had leggings on underneath, which I could take off when we were out. I also had a small cardigan in my bag if needed. Ollie had trousers but had shorts to change into when we were out – no one wants to be wearing heavy trousers in August in Rome!

We picked up our audioguides – loads of information on these, I love a good audioguide!

Again, I’ll leave you with pictures instead of a history lesson!

There are no photos allowed in the Sistine chapel. I saw a few people being directed away due their clothing. It was beautiful in here but very crowded!

We also checked out the museum of old Pope mobiles!

Round to St Peter’s Square next, with airport style security scanners.

No Pope today.

Next, we headed out of the Vatican to the nearest metro stop - Ottaviano. We bought 4 single journey tickets for 1,50€ each and had to validate them before use.

Someone stopped and asked Ollie for directions (I think) in Italian. An odd choice, as he doesn’t particularly look like a local!

We took the metro to the Colosseo stop and could see the Colosseum straight away as we exited. Due to time, we never had any plans to tour the Colosseum, I just wanted to see the outside!

Our next stop was the Trevi Fountain, heading past the old town area.

Now, we got a little bit lost here and started heading in the wrong direction. Eventually we realised and were soon back on track.
Flags were at half mast due the recent earthquake.

Although the Pantheon was originally ‘on the list’, we just didn’t have time for this stop after the slight scenic route we took!

The Trevi fountain was busy, but we managed to squeeze through and take some shots. We also took turns throwing the obligatory coin into the fountain to ensure our return.

On the way back to the metro station we bought a magnet for our fridge.

We took the metro back from Barberini to Ottaviano near the bus pick up. There was still some spare time and we realised it had been a while since breakfast. We spotted a takeaway pizza place who said they could cook us a pizza in a few minutes. I stood and waited while Ollie went to find us some drinks.

We took the pizza onto the bus without any issues and enjoyed our late lunch on the journey home.

I only have a picture of the box for some reason, not of the pizza itself!

Even takeaway Italian pizza is amazing!

The bus left a bit after 3.30pm, so it really was a quick visit to Rome!

On reflection, we knew before we left home that we planned far too much into today. This was our first time in Rome and we wanted to hit the highlights, knowing we’d be back sometime but maybe not for a while. I don’t think I’d recommend this approach – I’d either stick with the just Vatican stops or Colosseum/Trevi fountain. Oh well, we like full on busy days!
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 17, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Once back on the ship, we stopped for drinks and both had quick showers and as we wanted to make this evening’s show – Finding Dory in 3D – at 5.45pm. I went with wet hair, and decided that I’d use the time after the film to get presentable for dinner.

The theatre was fairly empty, presumably as people were getting back from days in Rome.

I enjoyed the first part of the film. I can’t tell you about the rest, as I had a fell asleep! I could feel my eyes drooping, and instead of fighting it, decided to rest my head on Ollie’s shoulder. I must have been asleep for a good 50 minutes and it did me the world of good. I really must watch the end of this film at some point!

On the way back to the room we passed Pluto with a short queue – it would be rude to not stop for a cuddle!

They had tried to Frozen-up the lobby a bit.

Back in the room I dried my hair and we got ready for dinner. The air con in the cinema did make my wet hair feel very cold!

We were left these frozen inspired light up snow flakes.

Dinner tonight was in Animator’s Pallette, with the Frozen them menu. I intentionally wore a blue dress to fit in with the Frozen theme

Nothing fancy on the screens tonight, they featured the Frozen logo, the same as during the meet and greet.

The Frozen menu was probably my least favourite of the week. Not that there was anything wrong with it - it was perfectly fine. It just seemed to be lacking something.

To start, we both went for Jarlsberg tart – with onion and thyme.

Our tablemates had a chuckle when this came out as the tart was very small! I like Jarlsberg cheese, but wouldn’t say it tasted overly cheesy.

Next, we both went for Portobello Mushroom Consommé -
with Vegetables and fresh Herbs

I know a consommé is a thinner soup, but this tasted a bit watery. I had soup at most dinners, and this was not a patch on the others.

Ollie still talks about how disappointed he was with this soup.

For mains, we both went for Hans’s Juniper Wild Boar Filet -
with Sparrle, Kale, Baby Roasted Turnips and Wild Mushroom Cream Sauce

Having never had wild boar before, I thought this would be an opportunity to try something different. It was perfectly nice and I enjoyed the sauce. I’m not sure the boar was distinguishable from other meats.

We also asked for another dish on the side to share Veal “King Agda” - Veal Lion topped with Pulled White Crab Meat and Béarnaise Glaze, served with Buttered Spinach, Creamy Polenta and a Red Wine Reduction

Our server was keen to know how this was, as some guests on the early sitting had found it a bit tough. It was a little drier than other meats but seemed fine.

For pudding, I had Oaken Warm Apple Pudding Cake -
served with Butterscotch Cinnamon Sauce and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Ollie ordered the Sweet Temptation - A trio of Olaf’s White Chocolate Floro Dome, Almond Berry Crumble Cake, and Norwegian Pancake

I also wanted to try the floro dome, so Ollie asked for two of those. Our server instead bought out two of each!

After dinner, we popped to Shutters to view our engagement snaps. We got given a laptop to sit down and scroll through to pick our favourites. It took us a few nights of going back to try and narrow them down!

After, we heading up on deck to watch the Freezing the Night Away party. I really enjoy the Pirate deck parties, but the frozen one was a bit of a let down. I know it’s aimed at kids, but it seemed a bit dull and low budget.

Olaf appeared on screen and got a big cheer. Elsa came on towards the end and mimed ‘Let it go’.

After the party we did a lap of the ship. I’m always reluctant to go to bed, as I want to make sure I take in as much of the ship as possible.

We stumbled across a Goofy meet and great, as you do. Goofy was dressed in his Italian gear, although looked more Venetian than Roman.

Tonight’s towel animal.

Ollie made a slight amendment.

Time for bed after a long busy day!

Day 9 - Livorno/ Florence

Edited at 09:34 PM.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Well done on getting so much done.

We have decided not to do Rome. We don't do heat, and even though we have considered going by train (which I gather is only 40 minutes and quite cheap) we would still be spending most of the day schlepping round a hot, crowded city. We'd rather visit at a quieter, cooler time of year when we can get onto all the early morning tours.

Shame the menu wasn't great. Wonder if that night will be Frozen on our cruise? We've booked Palo for that night so perhaps it's a good night to miss!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 17, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Well done on getting so much done.

We have decided not to do Rome. We don't do heat, and even though we have considered going by train (which I gather is only 40 minutes and quite cheap) we would still be spending most of the day schlepping round a hot, crowded city. We'd rather visit at a quieter, cooler time of year when we can get onto all the early morning tours.

Shame the menu wasn't great. Wonder if that night will be Frozen on our cruise? We've booked Palo for that night so perhaps it's a good night to miss!
That sounds very sensible and the perfect excuse for a trip to Rome. Rome definitely can't be seen in a day!

Frozen would be my choice of menu to avoid!