Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 31 Aug 17, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Wandering around the West Coast - Day 8 – Travelling to Monterey, Whale Watching, PCH to Big Sur

Index is here.

Day 8 – Tuesday 1st August 2017

We woke just before the alarm at about 7:50 am, got ready and packed, then checked out just after 9am. Breakfast would have to come later as we needed to be in Monterey by lunchtime, due to booking a whale watching trip for the afternoon. I made sure I took my travel sickness tablets whilst on the journey, as I felt sure I'd need them later. I noticed that the temperature as we left Cambria was just 60 degrees.

We headed inland towards the 101 road, and programmed into the satnav a stop at Walmart in Paso Robles. There were a few things we wanted to pick up, namely some dry biscuits for me to help with any potential queasiness while whale watching, some breakfast for us both and some wine to take to Yosemite. About half way to Paso Robles, we noticed that the temperature had already increased to 85 degrees - the change in heat is unbelievable, just by going 20 minutes inland.

We arrived at Walmart and picked up some bits. There wasn't a bakery section, so breakfast consisted of a berry flavoured nutrigrain bar for me, along with the last bit of a cinnamon roll that Martin had bought himself yesterday as we passed a bakery – unfortunately that was all they’d got left at that time in the afternoon, or we’d have picked something else up for breakfast to save worrying about it this morning.

Back on the road, and my Stugeron kicked in, meaning I slept for most of your journey. I did wake as we passed through Spreckles, which seemed up be a very cute little farming town, about 15 minutes outside of Monterey.

We arrived at the Hotel Abrego just before 12:30 pm and luckily there was a room ready for us, so we checked in, left our luggage in our room, then set off towards Moss Landing for our trip with Sanctuary Cruises.

We arrived there at 1:15 pm and put extra layers on. We sorted out the payment for the parking permit and waited at dock A for our skipper to arrive.

We'd purposely booked a Whale Watching trip with Sanctuary because I read that they hire out electronic motion sickness bands. I wanted to do everything I could to make sure our outing was not spoilt by me vomiting. We had a safety talk, I paid my $7 for the band, then we boarded the boat just before 2pm.

We had to travel about 45 minutes before we saw the whales, but then see them we did. None of them did a full breach, but we saw plenty of them just above the surface of the water and flicking their tales. There must have been about 15 or so in all, and spotting them was made easier by the sea lions right by them. I tried to stand by the railing at the side of the boat, but there was quite a lot of movement, so I made the decision to stay sitting in the middle. This means though that a lot of our photos have other people’s elbows, arms or heads in them.

We stayed close to them for about an hour, before heading back to Moss Landing. Although at times I still felt queasy, I was really glad we'd done it to see whales in their natural environment. I did have to nibble on a couple of ginger biscuits on the boat though. I could also have done with an extra layer to wear, as the wind was so cold out at sea. One child got soaked by a rogue wave, and they really felt the cold then! Luckily his mum had got an extra hoody, so at least they had something dry to put on.

We were back in the car for 4:45 pm and on the road back to Monterey.

We drove through Fisherman’s Wharf and Cannery Row, before heading back to Highway 1 and heading south. It was sunny in Monterey so we made the decision to go as far south as Big Sur in case of cloud and fog tomorrow. We hadn't gone very far when we spotted the first of the fog.

We stopped a couple of times, although not for long as it had turned cold. We managed to get some photos at Bixby Bridge, although again it was quite foggy.

We reached the road closure at Big Sur, then turned around and decided to stop at Big Sur River Inn for dinner as we were starving - it was 7pm by now. We really need to rectify this missing a meal thing that we seem to keep doing!

We sat at an outside table with a view of the trees and both ordered a burger - we both felt the need for something substantial to eat. I didn't quite finish mine though. We left $60 inclusive of a generous tip - the waitress was on her own serving us all and worked her socks off.

We made a couple of stops on the way back to Monterey, to watch the sunset and to take a photo of the Bixby Bridge from the other side of the road. It wasn't foggy by the bridge at this time, but was still foggy by the ocean.

We made it back to the hotel by 9ish, opened the cases and did not do much more. Hopefully tomorrow would be a bit more relaxing!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 17, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

How lucky to see so many whales - I am glad you didn't feel so queasy!

Again - fab photos. The one with the very black road looks like it could be a road in Yorkshire (or is that just me )

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 17, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Glad you got to see the whales and worked through feeling poorly.

Like the photos of PCH especially Bixby Bridge. We ran out of time to see it.
Old 1 Sep 17, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
LLKJDisney
VIP Dibber

LLKJDisney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great read... lovely photos of the wildlife too
LLKJDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 17, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Great whale photos, you're braver than me, I don't do boats! Fabulous photos including the Bixby bridge one, I have the exact same photo as I suspect lots of people do! More lovely food!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 17, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

The whale watching looks incredible. Well worth the drive , even with hungry tummies! Love the pics along the PCH, even the weird fog ! Glad you got a substantial dinner . You must have been shattered by the time you got back.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 17, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

The whale watching looks wonderful. Would love to do that! Glad your sickness didn't spoil the experience.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 17, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Amazing to see the whales, but I just couldn’t go out to sea, boat phobia! Great photos.
Old 16 May 18, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
great day and fab pics x
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 18, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow the Whale watching looks fantastic and that fog! Simply breath taking to see it like that.