Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 13 Aug 18, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DanLees
Getting Excited

Place you picked the car up from:MCO.
Catergory of car hired: Full Size
Caregory of car supplied: Pick Up
Make of car you got: Ford F150 XLT
Hire car company used: Alamo via CarRental8.com

When we rocked up to Alamo Full Size Line at MCO, Skip the Counter voucher in hand we were presented with 2 or 3 Nissan Altimas and about 6 Pick Ups. OK then...

With my two kids there was no way I was getting out of there with a boring Sedan!

We picked the F150 as it had slightly bigger cab than the Dodge Rams and the one we picked had a mere 1000 miles on the clock.

Over the 2 weeks and 1000 miles we had it I got rather attached to it to be honest.
Thoughts:
1) Driving position is nice and high up which makes it good in Orlando traffic.
2) Fuel Economy was probably a bit rubbish.
3) Radio/Stereo was good and paired with phone for SatNav via Bluetooth with no dramas.
4) The cab was super big, much more space than say a Mondeo. We got 4 of us, 4 big bags and 4 small bags in the cab (3 up front) on the run to and from the Airport. Felt dodgy leaving bags in the flatbed, though I did leave my bag in there on the run to the House from the airport until the thunderstorm really kicked in!
5) The Aircon worked really well. Sweaty to chilly in less than 5 mins.
6) We had no issues parking anywhere with the exception of the outlet mall but that was down to there being no parking rather than the size of the truck, that being said the rear reversing camera was probably essential.

If you get a chance to hire one as a free upgrade over a "normal" car then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I quite fancy something similar for my next vehicle but I',m not sure how practical it would be on our tiny crowded island.

Would I rent one over a "full size" car which is $200 cheaper? Dunno, maybe. I bloody loved it but an extra $400 for a fortnight is $400, that's 4 reasonable dinners out.

Edited at 04:19 PM.
DanLees is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

Mobile

Place you picked the car up from: Disney Car Care Centre
Catergory of car hired: Int. SUV
Caregory of car supplied: Std SUV
Make of car you got: Hyundai Santa Fe
Hire car company used: Alamo (via Virgin)

All the paperwork out of the way and we were asked to take a seat, so DCCC obviously didn't have any intermediate SUVs on site. Ten, maybe fifteen minutes later, we were given a Santa Fe. Bigger than my wife's CX-5 (which is, I believe, in the Int SUV lineup), with a cavernous trunk. Has a reverse cam (screen barely larger than a smartphone), but otherwise, pretty austere tech wise.
Slush box ain't the best - plant the throttle and there's a delay, a lot of noise, and not a great deal more grunt. Still, it's big enough to not get swamped in traffic and will serve a purpose.

IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
brwhy
Serious Dibber

Place you picked the car up Sanford
Catergory of car hired: STD SUV
Caregory of car supplied: Std SUV?
Make of car you got: Dodge Journey
Hire car company used: Alamo (via Virgin)

Cases were pretty much last off plane so all that was left in the Standrd SUV line was a silver Santa Fe Sport( has one before and it was ok) or a red Dodge Journey. I thought it looked more Midsize that standard but I’d wanted something American this time, and I like a colour I can find in a car park. I asked if there was anything else and was just told it has been busy those were my 2 choices. So plumped for the journey. Boot was smallish ( compared to Santa Fe) but took our 3 cases and rucksacks no problem. Then found out that the Journey was brand new with 40 miles in the clock :-). Think it was a 3.6L V6 and had full leather intearior, climate control, reversing camera. In the end I really liked it whether is was a standard or not.

Edited at 12:38 PM.
brwhy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 18, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Standard SUV - Alamo - Sanford
Arrived into Sanford, nothing in the standard SUV isle.

Asked the chap what we could have, he said what do we want I said pickup or wrangler he said yes take which ever you want.

Picked wrangler, roof comes off.
Lots of room for cases, 4 big and 4 handluggage.

Nice drive.

Edited at 11:25 AM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 18, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Chevrolet Suburban

Stayed at Port Orleans Riverside for first week then Alamo shuttle picked us up and took us to Disney Car Care centre.
Paid £910 for 4 1/2 weeks for standard SUV 14/07/18.
On arrival it was clear they had no standard SUV left and was offered several other cars, Dodge Charger, Dodge caravan, Chevrolet Silverado and Jeep Cherokee.
Staff were very apologetic and said if I take one now I can call back the following day and take my pick of the cars available. I eventually settled on the Jeep Cherokee.
The Jeep was brand new with just 35 mile on the clock, (unfortunately no pictures) white exterior with white and grey full leather trim. The car was very nice drive however boot space was very small.
The following day I called Alamo and the agent offered me several cars all higher class than we paid for.
The Suburban had 9k on the clock and was a very easy drive for such a big car. Averaged around 17 miles per gallon, did around 2000 miles in the 4 1/2 weeks. Car had all mod cons Sat Nav, WiFi etc, seats were 2 at front 3 in middle and 3 at the back which folded down to make huge boot space.

Edited at 10:34 AM.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 18, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Luke_
Proud to wear my Ears

Place you picked the car up from:- Orlando International Airport
Category of car hired:- Minivan
Category of car supplied:- 8 Seat Minivan
Make of car you got:- Chrysler Pacifica 8 seater
Hire car company used:- Alamo via Netflights

So, first car was a Chrysler Pacifica with 8 seats, 24000 on the clock. Reasonable trim level, with touchscreen controls for climate and media, reversing camera. But had no carplay, no sat nav and screen was a little on the small side.
The row was full of Grand Caravans apart from the Pacifica I took, another with 49000 on the clock and a very tired looking town and country with no keys.
Fuel economy was around 16 mpg.
Sadly no photos of it as the undertray fell off after 3 days of having it.

Swapped the car at MCO to a newish Grand Caravan as there were no Pacificas available in any of the Alamo, National or Enterprise rows.

Second car

Place you picked the car up from:- Orlando International Airport
Category of car hired:- Minivan
Category of car supplied:- Minivan
Make of car you got:- Dodge Grand Caravan

We got a Nearly new Dodge with 2430 on the clock. SXT trim level on Florida plates.

Car was OK to be honest, the touchscreen system could do with an update, and the handbrake confused me until I figured out it was where the clutch should be.
Luggage wise both cars were on par, we managed to get 4 full cases and 2 small cases in the boot.
The 7 seater was marginally more practical as the kids were able to dart between the middle row of seats quicker then we could fold the seats.

Luke_ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

Place you picked the car up from:- Miami International Airport
Category of car hired:- Intermediate Car (Cruze Or Similar)
Category of car supplied:- Intermediate Suv (ford Kuga or Similar)
Make of car you got:- Hyundai Tucson
Hire car company used:- Avis via BA fly drive
Hire Dates :- 7/8/2018 - 24/08/18

The woman in the preferred booth was very helpful and gave us a very nice upgrade after the first car we we're allocated had a little damage on the rear. Was maybe a little under powered but came with AWD. Big enough in the rear for 2 large case's, 1 intermediate case, 1 carry on case and 1 Trunki. It had 8900 when we collected and 10200 once returned.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon

Edited at 08:17 PM.
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 18, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Crazydragon
VIP Dibber

Place you picked the car up from:- Sanford
Category of car hired:- Full Size SUV (Tahoe or similar)
Category of car supplied:- Full size SUV
Make of car you got:- Ford Explorer Limited edition
Hire car company used:- Alamo via DFCH
Hire Dates :- 9/8/2018 - 23/08/18

Good car - nice engine (3.5ltr V6 twin turbo), wanted a Yukon but they did not have any left and it was a choice between the Ford and Nissan. I chose the Ford as it was the limited version with air cooled seats and fully functioning sat nav with built in apple play.

Holiday Inn, International Drive - 2001 (Honeymoon)
Rosen Inn International, International Drive - 2015
Dibb florida villa - 2018
Dibb Florida villa (the same one) - 2021 - Cancelled
Dibb Florida Villa (different one) - 2022
Crazydragon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 18, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
wensleydale6
Excited about Disney

Place you picked the car up from:- Tampa
Category of car hired:- Std SUV (Ford Edge or similar)
Category of car supplied:- Std size SUV
Make of car you got:- Ford Edge Titanium edition
Hire car company used:- Avis with BA Avios points
Hire Dates :- 21/8/2018 - 31/08/18

Only the one pic that matters with this one, the boot was big enough, standard Ford, plasticky, ride ok and engine a bit flat, averaged 21mpg. But it did have working sat nav and Apple play.

Edited at 06:22 PM.
wensleydale6 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
coventry_family
Very Serious Dibber

Date: 14th August to 1st Sept
Booked: Full Size SUV
Company: Dollar through Floridaholidayplanner.com as part of a fly drive.

Choice of cars in the row.

2 x Ford Expedition
1 x Nissan Armarda
1 x Chevy Transverse
2 x Chevy Tahoe

And the car I chose was a beautiful red GMC Yukon with only 2000 miles on the clock! Full leather, sunroof, air cooled seats etc..

Very pleased that I ignored the bad reviews of Dollar from years ago and the negative feelings on here towards them as I saved hundreds and got a brand new car!

Tags
alamo, avis, avis preffered, budget, car hire, compact, dollar, full size, hertz, intermediate, midsize, mini van, sixt, standard, suv, thrifty